Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What's AU stand for?
    Alternate universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    The biggest issue to me was her not aging at the same rate as her peers, but that's not really about her journey, though. Her starting young and growing up worked really well. Though I do think a non "girl" non "super" name in adulthood, as Nightwing did would have been great.
    I would suggest Flamebird, since IIRC she's used it once already. There's been several of them though. Also, Dc's not gonna do it unless they have different character as Supergirl.

continue to portray the character as intelligent, courageous and fun. In the next crisis(es) she'll get de-aged again, or something along those lines.

Astonishing Member

Supergirl had already graduated college when I was introduced to her in the early 1970s. I typically prefer adults to teenagers -- or at least prefer they be 18 or older.

At some point, DC regressed Supergirl's age to 19 -- and froze it. So, even she should have been in her early to mid 20s during the Crisis (using comic book time, she may have still been 19?). I think someone was probably aware that a woman in her 20s may not want to be referred to as a girl -- yet that is the trademark.

I'd like Kara to be around the age of Dick, Donna, Wally, Garth and Barbara. I'd also like for her to have been a part time member of the Titans.

She could always still have been the Secret Weapon for Clark, like in the original stories, until her training finished. But hang out with the Titans so that she wouldn't be alone. (She'd have grown up with the Kent's as well)

She could always be part time like Bruce and Clark were at first with the League, then eventually becoming a full member, or just deciding not to, but she has established bonds with Dick and Donna and Barbara.

(Side Note, I've always wanted a mini series, atleast, with Dick Donna and Kara/Linda. They are the next Generation to their mentors. How do they handle that type of legacy? Do they want to follow in the Trinity's footsteps or mark out their own paths? Etc. I think it could be a fun story.)
    Richard Alexander

Junior year of High school - Freshman in college is the age range for Kara I prefer.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Just a thought. Supergirl tends to be portrayed as one of these, usually getting introduced as a teenager, which she is in the comics right now. Do you prefer she stay this way, or should the comics allow her to grow older?
    I prefer Supergirl as a teenager and to have her develop into an adult in the comics, not as had happened in the Supergirl television show where she hides her powers until she decides to come out as a Superhero as an adult.

There are many fascinating question as a teenage superhero that need to be answered such as:

1) Who is Supergirl's legal guardian on Earth?
    Supergirl shows up in a spaceship as a teenager and someone adopts her, how does this happen? Is a secret identity established and how? How does Supergirl have a somewhat normal life if she does not have a secret identity? If she is just Supergirl or Kara Zor El when "off duty" how does she avoid becoming an instant celebrity with a fan club and people after for her autograph and reporters and photographers trying to snap a picture of her and write stories about her private life, as that is what would happen without a secret identity?

A secret identity is a good idea, but how? She'll need more than glasses. A wig is often suggested, usually a dark wig to contrast with her normally blonde hair. Maybe a magic/technological ring that disguises her by wrapping a hologram around her? I think that will work better. Perhaps it is a Kryptonian artifact, it basically makes her look like a different girl, giving her brown eyes and dark hair, the same shape and size though, I would suggest the disguise is not perfect, let's say for instance a boy kisses her, he gets inside the hologram and sees Kara as she normally looks instead, so that gives her a reason to be shy around boys.
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 12-28-2020 at 11:56 AM.

I prefer Supergirl as a teenager and to have her develop into an adult in the comics, not as had happened in the Supergirl television show where she hides her powers until she decides to come out as a Superhero as an adult.
    Agreed. And then for her not to be de-aged again.

Is a secret identity established and how?
    I think forged paperwork/hacked records works well enough for this sort of fiction. But there's the matter of who does that (Clark? Bruce? Is she still introduced before Barbara?) and how completely is it done (plot device of someone finding the records inadequate later for some reason).

Spectacular Member

Agreed. And then for her not to be de-aged again.

I think forged paperwork/hacked records works well enough for this sort of fiction. But there's the matter of who does that (Clark? Bruce? Is she still introduced before Barbara?) and how completely is it done (plot device of someone finding the records inadequate later for some reason).
    How about she be a refugee from Ukraine, claim that she lost her parents when the Russians invaded and it would be too dangerous for her to stay in her home country, that would explain her "foreign accent" to anyone who is not from Ukraine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    How about she be a refugee from Ukraine, claim that she lost her parents when the Russians invaded and it would be too dangerous for her to stay in her home country, that would explain her "foreign accent" to anyone who is not from Ukraine.
    I'm very wary of histories that don't "age" well. I'd prefer a backstory that will work just as well 20 years from now.

Spectacular Member

I'm very wary of histories that don't "age" well. I'd prefer a backstory that will work just as well 20 years from now.
    Okay, she lands/crashes her spaceship on the Danver farm in Midvale, Illinois. So what are the Danvers going to do about it?

Question 1: Does Kara speak English or is she going to have to learn English? With Clark's human parents this was not a problem, but with Kara you have an almost fully grown teenager with superpowers on your hands. There are also two points of view here, that of Kara's and that of the Danvers. Assume Kara was in a state of suspended animation and she just woke up after landing, the destruction of her planet was for her just moments ago. Kara's Kryptonian father knew where he was sending her. What kind of preparation would she have?

There might be a language barrier to overcome. The Danvers don't know where she's from, the moment she starts flying they might get a hint.

Question 2: Do they call the Justice League, or do they try to handle it themselves?

I think they would call the Justice League, Superman arrives, and they sit and talk on the front porch, Superman translates, finds out what Kara wants and then gets the idea of flying to the Fortress of Solitude Kara follows him there. The Danvers get back with their daily lives.

Superman and Kara return to the farm, this time Kara is wearing her Supergirl outfit. Kara explains that she used a Krytonian device to quickly learn English, and she needs a place to stay. Clark is quite busy being both a reporter and a superhero. Lois Lane is also a career woman and is busy being a reporter and being rescued. Superman decides he is too busy to be a proper father to her, and besides, Kara has some learning to do, and of course Superman has some powerful enemies and has his hands full just rescuing Lois all the time.
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 12-28-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Question 2: Do they call the Justice League, or do they try to handle it themselves?
    If she has an S-crest, call the JL - she seems to be associated with Superman. Though I don't know how they'd get through to them quickly or how they'd communicate with her if she didn't know the language. I'm not fond of them as a farm family.

I'm never sure exactly how I want her origin to go down. The silver age had simplicity going for it, even if the Argo City survival seemed unlikely (then again, planets don't explode, either). It kept Jor-El the only one who knew, didn't have one in suspended animation, one not, didn't have her having interactions with two completely different versions of her cousin, kept the lack of rocket technology not widespread, etc. And she knew who she was looking for and what her goal was when she came. But I do also like the idea of her as a refugee in a way Clark wasn't. From a world she remembers and grieves in a way he didn't. And it is annoying/depressing to Kryptonian culture to die twice

Spectacular Member

If she has an S-crest, call the JL - she seems to be associated with Superman. Though I don't know how they'd get through to them quickly or how they'd communicate with her if she didn't know the language. I'm not fond of them as a farm family.

I'm never sure exactly how I want her origin to go down. The silver age had simplicity going for it, even if the Argo City survival seemed unlikely (then again, planets don't explode, either). It kept Jor-El the only one who knew, didn't have one in suspended animation, one not, didn't have her having interactions with two completely different versions of her cousin, kept the lack of rocket technology not widespread, etc. And she knew who she was looking for and what her goal was when she came. But I do also like the idea of her as a refugee in a way Clark wasn't. From a world she remembers and grieves in a way he didn't. And it is annoying/depressing to Kryptonian culture to die twice
    Another option is to have Mr. Danvers be a Star Labs researcher, he does mundane research in medicine, Mrs Danvers stays at home and takes care of her children, lets say a brother and a Sister, the sister is 11 years old, the brother is about Kara's biological age, through the magic of the Fortress of Solitude, Kara quickly learns English, the same way Clark Kent learned Kryptonian, so Kara comes back and enrolls in high school at the same grade level as her adoptive brother, they have the same homeroom and have Social Studies together along with Art.

Lets give the brother a name, we'll call him Charles, his little sister is named Anna. Anna and Kara share a bedroom in the Danvers household. A bunk bed replaces the single bed that originally was Anna's, that bed is stored in the attic, Kara helped to put it there.
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 12-28-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Junior year of High school - Freshman in college is the age range for Kara I prefer.
    which she has been forever
    lets get her on to the next stage of life

BANNED

Teenager age is the reason for cheerleader suit and New52 swimsuit suit.
    And isn't Powergirl just the grown up version?

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    Teenager age is the reason for cheerleader suit and New52 swimsuit suit.
    And isn't Powergirl just the grown up version?
    I don't know if being a teenager was the reason for the New 52 swimsuit, I think they were going for something that would make her look more alien (and, y'know, still showed off her legs).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Same here.