Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Means View Post
    Yeah, I wonder what might have been had Lobdell and Bachalo stayed on the book for longer than just like 25 issues. To this day, despite it not being any great achievement of comic book fiction, it's still one of my top 10 X-Men runs.
    Shade....lol
    but im dream right along with you on what might have been

the writer on the reboot was good in previous books?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Shade....lol
    but im dream right along with you on what might have been

the writer on the reboot was good in previous books?
    no, Strain was a colorist known for her work on Runaways and Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, a very poor choice to write the series

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    no, Strain was a colorist known for her work on Runaways and Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, a very poor choice to write the series

Yeah, not to trash any creators or anything...but I was genuinely angry reading the Gen X reboot. It felt like a direct smack in the face to fans of the original book, and it felt like the writer had no clue what made Gen X so successful originally, nor understood why the book has endured for so many decades. Even the character designs were atrocious. You could take four of the main cast in silhouette and they were completely interchangeable. The only character that worked at all was the antler girl (whose name I always forget -- Mel? Something?) Like, even down to the concept -- the fact that Jubilee was given a team of persons who could never be X-Men? Like, she was training the, I dunno, the staff or something?

If you're going to make a Gen X book, put the focus on the core characters of the book. Gen X does not mean "mutants in training". It's a specific team. And the fact that the entire team were basically glorified babysitters in the relaunch was just dismal. They should have had a central idea for why the team needed to reform and come together from their various walks of life. Instead we got some slice of life Tumblr nonsense.

Ugh. Wish I would have never brought it up. Just makes me bothered all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Means View Post
    Yeah, not to trash any creators or anything...but I was genuinely angry reading the Gen X reboot. It felt like a direct smack in the face to fans of the original book, and it felt like the writer had no clue what made Gen X so successful originally, nor understood why the book has endured for so many decades. Even the character designs were atrocious. You could take four of the main cast in silhouette and they were completely interchangeable. The only character that worked at all was the antler girl (whose name I always forget -- Mel? Something?) Like, even down to the concept -- the fact that Jubilee was given a team of persons who could never be X-Men? Like, she was training the, I dunno, the staff or something?

If you're going to make a Gen X book, put the focus on the core characters of the book. Gen X does not mean "mutants in training". It's a specific team. And the fact that the entire team were basically glorified babysitters in the relaunch was just dismal. They should have had a central idea for why the team needed to reform and come together from their various walks of life. Instead we got some slice of life Tumblr nonsense.

Ugh. Wish I would have never brought it up. Just makes me bothered all over again.
    You know, honestly all of that. I tried to give the run a chance, but after she called Eye-Boy an entitled cis-white boy and how she was going to knock him down, I figured the run wasn’t for me. The character has such a stupid mutation and putting him against a cast that for the most part is pretty normal, that is just a stupid thing to say about a character that was already established. And Nature Girl, I don’t care for any of these new characters by any means, but she took a character that didn’t talk and now she’s skipping around all smiles. Plus that Quinten Quire and Roxy were on a team marketed as losers was also a turn off.

There was SO much wish fulfillment in there. Even aging up Shogo to make the story work. Why was Shogo aged up and no one else was? I also hated that scarf Chamber was in the whole time. It was nice to see his powers in the runs he was in before this one, and he actually seemed more comfortable with his powers. Then at the end he gives Roxy a scarf of her own... I just thought that was terrible.

Plus Paige getting her Masters in psychology... I just thought that wasn’t right. First of all, when did she have the time (must’ve been when Shogo was aged up), but I just thought that was the wrong field for Paige. We have this character that was all into the sciences, but she goes completely left field. And, I love the character I really do, but with her character history that is the worst thing for Paige. And that little bit at the end where she tells Chamber that he was a sad emo boy... just completely disqualifies her in my book. Joking or no, what always irritated me was that Chamber pretty much never got any help psychologically for his powers blowing him up.

I too still think of what could have been had Scott actually stayed on the Vol 1 run for longer. What a miss opportunity. I still wish they gave the book to someone else... and that Brian Wood never got it in the end just to kill of Synch.

I liked the 2nd Gen X volume... guess I was just happy to see some of the Gen Xers finally interacting in some form again, even if they didn't deserve to have their arc relegated to background for the newer kids. I'll admit although I thought it was cute at the time, the scarf thing was kinda cheesy, lol.

BTW is anyone else like me that although I hate that they killed off Jono Im not that worried or depressed about it....b/c i have a feeling if this doesn't get undone at the end, this run is gonna be ignored anyway and the next writer that really wants to use Jono is gonna just use him anyway. I cant imagine editorial not allowing it when almost everyone hated the run and his death was just one of may meaningless deaths in it and...Marvel's thing is deaths that don't stick. Unless your Synch or Skin.

Quote Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
    I liked the 2nd Gen X volume... guess I was just happy to see some of the Gen Xers finally interacting in some form again, even if they didn't deserve to have their arc relegated to background for the newer kids. I'll admit although I thought it was cute at the time, the scarf thing was kinda cheesy, lol.

BTW is anyone else like me that although I hate that they killed off Jono Im not that worried or depressed about it....b/c i have a feeling if this doesn't get undone at the end, this run is gonna be ignored anyway and the next writer that really wants to use Jono is gonna just use him anyway. I cant imagine editorial not allowing it when almost everyone hated the run and his death was just one of may meaningless deaths in it and...Marvel's thing is deaths that don't stick. Unless your Synch or Skin.
    We claw and grab at almost anything that has our team (or favorites) in it!

I hate it too, especially since it was so badly done. I refuse to believe that he could have died like that! I'm of that mind that it might stick, but I’m sure it will be undone at some point (certain writers seem to like him). My main problem is that everyone seems to think his powers are flame based, not psionic (also, is that a neck... ewww). It really irritated me, when in the mini he was said to smell like a surfer dump. But going back to his death, I’m sure we’ll see him eventually, and I’m actually open to the idea that this all gets undone. He killed off Magik (apparently) and I’m pretty sure she’s in Hickman’s run.

Rejoice!

And Hickman for the first arc no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Rejoice!

I know, I honestly wasn’t expecting to see him so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Rejoice!

Great news. So happy Jono is going to be in New Mutants, with the added bonus Mondo.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Great news. So happy Jono is going to be in New Mutants, with the added bonus Mondo.
    let's see if Chamber makes it to the second arc....
    and I was happy to see Mondo as well but thought for a sec Probably not the AoA soooo we literally have no idea who/how this Mondo is. sooo it wouldn't be totally truthful to label him as a GenXer. anyone else orrr am i getting too deep in my GeekPool!

so Rosenberg's dreck got ignored just as we all hoped and we didn't have to wait too long to find out too. Lets just hope this new writer who Im not familiar wth is a bit better. I wish we had gotten one more Gen Xer to make the cast a bit more evenly Gen x/ New Mutants mash-up, hopefully one of them will join in a later arc. I think Husk makes the most sense for obvious reasons.

So which Chamber fan is the one who likes to ship him with Doug( Ive seen the fan art on tumblr)? they mus be going crazy right now.

btw I hate when artist pose Jono on the cover standing with his arms outstretched but not actually shooting his flames at anything, it just looks dumb to me. Nice scarecrow impression. Otherwise really nice cover art. Like the new jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
    so Rosenberg's dreck got ignored just as we all hoped and we didn't have to wait too long to find out too. Lets just hope this new writer who Im not familiar wth is a bit better. I wish we had gotten one more Gen Xer to make the cast a bit more evenly Gen x/ New Mutants mash-up, hopefully one of them will join in a later arc. I think Husk makes the most sense for obvious reasons.

So which Chamber fan is the one who likes to ship him with Doug( Ive seen the fan art on tumblr)? they mus be going crazy right now.

btw I hate when artist pose Jono on the cover standing with his arms outstretched but not actually shooting his flames at anything, it just looks dumb to me. Nice scarecrow impression. Otherwise really nice cover art. Like the new jacket.
    I’m not sure if it is going to be ignored or not. I saw on a different forum the X-Men coming out of weird pods (and Xavier looked all creepy). I’m not too concerned about the Gen X kinds, honestly. Hickman actually seems to like them. Which is really weird considering Marvel’s track record... but I hope Husk and Monet actually go on different books. I don’t mean to sound like a negative Nancy, but I think someone is going to end up lost in the background if there’s too many on a team.

lol I’ve seen those too! And they do seem rather pleased with the lineup.

They do like to do that, don’t they? And it does look weird. I think the weirdest one was that card where he looks like he’s jumping around or something.

LOL I knew there was Jono/Doug fan fiction, didn't know there was art, as well. And I thought I took my impossible ships seriously. More power to him or her, I say.

Congrats, guys! Glad to see Jono back.

I’m not sure if it is going to be ignored or not. I saw on a different forum the X-Men coming out of weird pods (and Xavier looked all creepy).
    yeah I saw that, uh I hope we arent getting pod people/mutant clones. I dunno how I feel about that being the way to bring them back.

from the New Mutants line-up thread by Rod Reis, the book's artist