Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    BANNED

Uncanny X-Men #61 Oct 1969
    "Monsters Also Weep"
    Continued from last issue...

While going out to investigate reports of a reported winged mutant, Angel runs into Sauron,
    the pterodactyl man who was once renowned scientist Karl Lykos. Confronting the creature,
    Warren falls prey to his hypnotic gaze and is made to see phantom images of gigantic flying monsters.
    Realizing that they are only illusions, Warren manages to shake off
    the effects and resume his attack on Sauron. However the creature flees.

This flight is short lived when the other X-Men catch up to Warren and Cyclops
    strikes Sauron with an optic blast and held in place telekinetically by Jean.
    However, Sauron uses his hypnotic gaze to make Marvel Girl see the other X-Men as monsters.
    Sauron laughs at this, leaving him open to an attack from both Angel, Beast and Iceman.
    Only Iceman's ice powers seem to have much of an effect on Sauron.
    Back at Lykos' office a phone rings which starts to make Alex begin to stir.
    While back at the battle, Sauron begins to change back into his human form.
    Catching Warren in his hypnotic gaze once more, the rapidly changing Sauron orders Angel to take him back to his office.
    As Warren sprints off with the now human Lykos in hand, the X-Men call out to Warren to stop
    helping their enemy escape, and Lykos vows that the X-Men will see Sauron again very soon.

Returning to his office, he finds that his fiancée Tanya has arrived at his office and is looking over the unconscious Alex Summers.
    Shocked to find her here after her father had forbidden her to see him,

she tells him that she had a premonition that something was wrong and had to come and see him.
    Scott and the other X-Men soon arrive at Lykos' office in their civilian guises
    to check on Alex having given up searching for Warren for the time being.
    They arrive just as Alex awakes. He thanks Karl for his help and books a second appointment.

The happy scene is shattered when Tanya's father arrives, furious that his daughter has disobeyed his wishes
    and has come to see Lykos, whom Mr. Anderssen believes to be nothing but a fraud and charlatan.
    Lykos agrees with Anderssen, that only money and power will make him worthy of Tanya's love and vows angrily to get it.
    Tanya storms out in tears with the elder Anderssen following after her.
    When the X-Men ask about the billing, Lykos tells them he will mail it to them
    and dismisses them and begins plotting to become Sauron once more.

Returning to headquarters, the X-Men find Angel waiting for them in some kind of trance.
    Snapping him out of it, Warren screams out Lykos' name and lashes out forcing Hank to knock him out.
    Realizing that there is some sort of connection between Karl Lykos and Sauron, the X-Men change into their costumes
    and decide to go and investigate, leaving Lorna to keep an eye on Alex and Warren.
    As the X-Men leave, Lykos arrives at the X-Mansion and breaks in.
    When overhearing Lorna trying to talk to a sleeping Alex, he overhears her say that she is a mutant.

Serving his needs, Lykos sneaks up behind her and begins to absorb her energy, turning into Sauron once more.

Sauron attacks Anderssen in his home and Anderssen recognizes Sauron's voice to be that of Karl Lykos.
    Suddenly, the X-Men arrive and attack Sauron, driving him away.
    Sauron momentarily regains the facilities normally maintained as Karl Lykos and realizes how evil he has become.
    When the X-Men ask Tanya where Lykos might go, she lies and tells them that
    she doesn't know, wanting to pursue him to provide support him through this time.

Karl travels to his father’s old home in Tierra Del Fuego where it's isolation will keep him away from human
    hosts in the hopes that he will eventually "starve" to death having been cut off from and human energy sources.
    Days later Tanya, who deduced where Lykos had gone arrives, much to his horror.
    Realizing that he must end his life quickly, Lykos attempts to commit suicide by jumping off a cliff.
    The X-Men, having followed Tanya in secret, attempt to stop both
    lovers from going over the cliffs edge, with Iceman erecting an ice barrier.
    He is only in time to save Tanya from the lethal plunge. With Lykos presumably dead,
    the X-Men comfort the grieving Tanya and take her away from the scene.

Script by Roy Thomas, pencils by Neal Adams, inks by Tom Palmer

Ultimate Member

Alex has been around for like 50 years or so, still never really given his due imho...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Alex has been around for like 50 years or so, still never really given his due imho...
    I'll never understand why Havok and Polaris were so under-utlized in the 70s. I didn't really care for what Claremont did with them in the 80s, but it would have been great to see them in another team book.

Ultimate Member

Well if they had been given the push that they both deserved then they would have given Scott and Jean a run for their money as a couple, always thought that Alex and Lorna were more fun as a couple too..., and would be again...many of the Lorna fans here blame Alex for anything and everything wrong that in their minds has ever happened to Lorna....

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'll never understand why Havok and Polaris were so under-utlized in the 70s. I didn't really care for what Claremont did with them in the 80s, but it would have been great to see them in another team book.
    I agree. I think Alex and Lorna would have added much to the X-Men and with Scott and Jean, all 4 would have more developed personalities.

Ultimate Member

To me it was always the editors that kept Alex and Lorna from being bigger characters than they are, not each other...

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Most saw them as a poor man's Scott and Jean, unfortunately. It didnt help that the original book was cancelled soon after they joined so they were severely underdeveloped. Because of that, it made them less attractive to want to write especially since the X-men were not a big property back then. They were essentially D-listers
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-24-2019 at 07:48 AM.

Ultimate Member

Well that and Marvel wanted to push Scott and Jean and Storm so Alex and Lorna got left behind for too long...

Astonishing Member

The thing is X-Men just kept growing and growing in popularity -- so it seems crazy that they were left on the sidelines. Then again -- look at what happened with Angel, Beast and Iceman. They got pulled into the Defenders -- long after that book had lost its way. Havok, though, had such a great visual -- as did Lorna. But I guess there just wasn't a great place to use them. Maybe they would have worked in a sci-fi/cosmic team.

From Todd Naucks twitter...

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Rogue View Post
    From Todd Naucks twitter...

Cute little tyke! Older than the babies, but not yet a teen. Love it! Love the original costume and the great power signature (although I liked the white color better).

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Cute little tyke! Older than the babies, but not yet a teen. Love it! Love the original costume and the great power signature (although I liked the white color better).
    Aye, What a li'l dude!

That teaser/promo image of HoX/PoX featuring li'l Havok hasn't delivered yet

Maybe having Havok and Kid Havok together could be a new/fun/odd/funny thing to have for a while.