Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Talking Happy 50th Anniversary 616 Alexander "Alex" Summers!!! 1969-2019

Uncanny X-Men #54 Mar 1969
    "Wanted: Dead or Alive... Cyclops!" First appearances of Alex Summers (later Havok) and the Living Pharaoh.
    Coming to his senses in a museum’s Egyptian exhibit, Cyclops finds himself held at gunpoint by a
    police officer who is accusing him of murder, his memory foggy, Cyclops thinks back to how this all began....

A few days back, Scott and the other X-Men visited Scott's brother, Alex Summers, who has just graduated from Old Landon College.
    While there, Scott thinks about how his brother was adopted while he remained at the orphanage and wonders if his brother is also a mutant.
    After being congratulated by Scott, Alex goes to change out of his cap
    and gown when he is attacked by men dressed in ancient Egyptian clothing.
    They are hailing Alex as royalty and telling him that they are minions of a man called the Pharaoh as they gas Alex and take him hostage.

When Scott and the others go to check on Alex, they find his room is empty, but signs of a struggle are visible. With Jean's telepathic abilities,
    the X-Men track Alex to the Egyptian exhibit at the museum about to be sacrificed by a man named the Living Pharaoh.
    Interrupting the Pharaoh, the group fights him, learning that he can fire energy bolts from his hands
    and uses artifacts that he claims are magic, however are in reality just Egyptian themed weapons.
    Although the Pharaoh calls his minions to defend him, the X-Men easily overpower them with their powers.
    Marvel Girl attempts to stop the Pharaoh by using her mental powers on him;
    however he uses a sonic attack to stun the X-Men so that he and his minions can escape.

Freeing Alex from his bonds, Cyclops reveals to him his secret identity, much to Alex's surprise.

The other X-Men leave Scott and Alex to return to base so that Scott can explain his double identity to his brother.

While the two are talking they are ambushed by the Living Pharaoh who has returned.
    The Pharaoh knocks them out with an energy bolt and when Cyclops is revived by the police, he is accused of killing the Pharaoh himself.
    Scott finds that Alex is nowhere to be found and believes his brother might have been responsible for killing the Pharaoh and might need his help.
    Resisting arrest, Cyclops disarms the police officers with his optic blast
    and escapes into the escape tunnel that the Pharaoh had used to escape.

While at the X-Mansion, the other X-Men hear a radio report detailing that
    the police are looking for Cyclops in connection with the death of the Pharaoh.
    They decide to return to the city and help their comrade. Cyclops travels deeper down the escape tunnel
    and is ultimately confronted by the Pharaoh, who is alive and well. He claims that he is immortal and that he will kill Cyclops for his meddling.

Script by Arnold Drake, pencils by Don Heck and Werner Roth, inks by Vince Colletta

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Rogue View Post
    Ah It was Astonishing that I was trying to remember

I liked the team assembled, I wasn't keen on the idea that some X-men should have to get permissions to use the name. I would of liked seeing Havok be more assertive to Kitty, he's sacrificed a lot.

I kinda liked the friction between him and Kitty, it's nice seeing dynamics between seemingly distant characters.
    I was just able to find the final issue of Astonishing. That was the best X-Men series I've read in quite some time. I haven't had any interest in the new Uncanny series. I saw Havok in a recent issues, but was disappointed he is no longer using his original costume. It just can't be improved upon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    To me, it is very lame to give the comicbook character Havok the ability to fly because I find the character's limitation to not be able to fly great.
    As Havok's powers have been described-- it would be near impossible for him to even achieve a directed jump. Way back in Incredible Hulk 150, Archie Goodwin showed that his power was more of a force -- and thus could be used to kinda levitate Lorna Dane down from a piece of mountainous rock. But his power is the ability to project hot plasma -- not force. The heat can be so great to create the effect of force - but that would be near impossible to use as a counter-force.

Astonishing Member

Havok's power has always been nebulous and changeable, remember for a while it couldn't be non lethal no anyone but Scott? Maybe that is Alex's 2nd mutation, his powers change intensity, just don't lose the concentric circles.

Fantastic Member

801ca5fb-7158-42c5-b4b9-0940b6651652.jpg

Well, I haven't posted here in a while, but I'd figure I'd try to lighten the mood a little while displaying a little frustration with Rosenberg's handling of Havok so far in Uncanny. I'm not writing it off right now, but it does feel like he's regressed a bit from where he was prior to the inversion spell.

But maybe that's just me.

Ultimate Member

Or maybe in the end Alex will be proven right about all or some of his objections to Scott's actions...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Or maybe in the end Alex will be proven right about all or some of his objections to Scott's actions...
    Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it myself.

In any case, mild complaining in my previous post aside, I think it's better just not to hope for or expect anything. Not that I'm saying that's what you're doing, but you've found that doing either of those things tends to ruin my enjoyment of today's books, such as it is in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Will J. View Post
    801ca5fb-7158-42c5-b4b9-0940b6651652.jpg

Well, I haven't posted here in a while, but I'd figure I'd try to lighten the mood a little while displaying a little frustration with Rosenberg's handling of Havok so far in Uncanny. I'm not writing it off right now, but it does feel like he's regressed a bit from where he was prior to the inversion spell.

But maybe that's just me.
    Regress? Have you see the teaser for House of X? He's a kid

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Regress? Have you see the teaser for House of X? He's a kid
    I have, and I'm not talking about that.

The whole piece seems to have versions of the characters from various eras of the X-Men, and it's already been stated, I think by Mark Brooks himself(I could be wrong on that), that everything there is there for a reason. And since Uncanny is going to be around while the House of X/Powers of X is going on, I'm not going to sit here and overthink that.

Regardless of what's going on with Havok in that image, I'm going to focus on what Rosenberg's doing with the character, which at the moment, I'm iffy about. When I said I felt like he regressed, I meant that all the things he's been through seem to have been swept under the rug, 'seem' here being the key word.

For better or for worse, he did get development under Remender, on top of what he got under Yost in the X-Jammers miniseries. It just reads like Rosenberg's ignoring what doesn't fit his view of the character, and he isn't the first writer to do this for any character, and the few interviews he's given since taking over Uncanny hasn't exactly left me enthusiastic about the future.
    Last edited by Will J.; 03-24-2019 at 09:49 AM.

I had Hoped that The Hidden Years would have focused more on Alex, Lorna, and their powers, including working with Professor X and getting his insights on their potential. It would have brideged the gap nicely between the first series and the All-New series. But alas, no such luck. Having has so much power but I feel like his potential has never even been explored.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I had Hoped that The Hidden Years would have focused more on Alex, Lorna, and their powers, including working with Professor X and getting his insights on their potential. It would have brideged the gap nicely between the first series and the All-New series. But alas, no such luck. Having has so much power but I feel like his potential has never even been explored.
    I agree, but it's like Remender said before launching UA.

Havok's the black sheep of the family, which is really saying something. It's also why I'm not hyped about Hickman's books. I'll give them a shot because I enjoyed his Avengers work, but I'm going to do my best not to expect anything meaningful for Alex.

I may have complained a bit earlier, but I'm trying to just be grateful for what I do get these days.

Fantastic Member

Actually, now that I think about it, my last post, aside from this one, seems like a good note to end my time on this board with. I've been looking to cut back on most social media for a while now, and this seems to be a good place to start.

The X-Books forum...well, it's definitely been an interesting ride whenever I've been on it, and the one thing it isn't is boring, but as my interest in comics as they currently stand, both Marvel and DC, is waning, it's probably best to avoid the passionate discourse that goes on on message boards. I've met some cool people here when I've actually taken the time to interact with them, and it's always good to hear different perspectives, so thanks for that.

Regardless of how he's been written these days, in the past or in the future, Havok's always going to be my favorite Marvel character.

Hopefully, he has one that doesn't involve his traditional status quo, but if not, I still have my back issues and fan fiction.��

See you around.

Ultimate Member

Alex is the black sheep of the family imho by no fault of his own, most of the time sadly he gets treated as little more than Scott's little brother by most characters and mostly ignored by his own father, who obviously views Scott as his favorite...

Quote Originally Posted by Will J. View Post
    Actually, now that I think about it, my last post, aside from this one, seems like a good note to end my time on this board with. I've been looking to cut back on most social media for a while now, and this seems to be a good place to start.

The X-Books forum...well, it's definitely been an interesting ride whenever I've been on it, and the one thing it isn't is boring, but as my interest in comics as they currently stand, both Marvel and DC, is waning, it's probably best to avoid the passionate discourse that goes on on message boards. I've met some cool people here when I've actually taken the time to interact with them, and it's always good to hear different perspectives, so thanks for that.

Regardless of how he's been written these days, in the past or in the future, Havok's always going to be my favorite Marvel character.

Hopefully, he has one that doesn't involve his traditional status quo, but if not, I still have my back issues and fan fiction.��

See you around.
    Sorry to see you go.

I know what you mean about some of the threads as well as the books of today not being as great as in times past.

Continue to like your favorite character(s) and read those stories you enjoy! Us fans keep the characters alive in our hearts and minds. And we can tell others about the character as we see that character.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Sorry to see you go.

I know what you mean about some of the threads as well as the books of today not being as great as in times past.

Continue to like your favorite character(s) and read those stories you enjoy! Us fans keep the characters alive in our hearts and minds. And we can tell others about the character as we see that character.

Take care.
    Yep, you said it better than me, I rambled so I cancelled my post as it wasn't at all uplifting.

Some positive points were that Havok is in a great team at the moment, Uncanny is interesting, the team has a awesome feel about it, Banshee is around the corner, Havok is in the thick of it all - but yes I get the annoying repetitive soft reboot sensation as I'm going through the same with Rogue, but anyways before I start rambling again it's late here and I've got to go get some sleep

Laters