Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kal or Clark?

Default Kal or Clark?

For those close enough to know his true identity, who do you want calling Superman "Clark" and who do you want them calling him "Kal"?

I think, of the few people who know the secret identity (and it really should be damn few who know), most of them would call him "Clark" since that's the name he grew up with. However, for a few people where culture is more formal and/or family names are more important, they'd likely go with "Kal" since it's his real, actual, given name.

Bruce and Barry call him Clark. Diana and Arthur (who's names give them the right to rule vast, powerful nations) call him Kal.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    For those close enough to know his true identity, who do you want calling Superman "Clark" and who do you want them calling him "Kal"?
    Humans should call him Clark and Kryptonians should call him Kal-El.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

his human friends or families should call him clark,since it is him grew up name on earth
    others,like alien/krypton relate(like kryptonian or daxamite)/cosmic being(like kismet)/formal people(like WW or aquaman)should call him kal,because this is his birthname,for kryptonian like kara,this is his real name.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Heroes who know he's Clark might also call him Kal because

1) Superman is impersonal
    2) Calling him Clark pretty much negates the idea of the secret identity

Not that he seems to put much effort into keeping the secret these days. As much as I loved Snyder's first JL issue I was not pleased with Kendra knowing who Superman is. I mean, come on! They just met the woman (in this continuity) ten minutes ago in the Metal fiasco, she got corrupted quickly and attacked Diana, and if she managed to get her head screwed on right and help win the day, well, that's great but......do you really want to trust one of the biggest secrets in the DCU to a woman you barely know, who was happily part of a clandestine organization with shady dealings not too long ago?

Hey, in a recent issue of Superman, Lobo was kinda-sorta nice to Jon! Maybe Clark should tell the Main Man his secret identity too!

Sorry, it just seems to me that if you're going to have a secret ID, you should probably keep it....yknow.....secret. If I had my way, the only people on earth who would know Clark's ID are Bruce, Dick Grayson, Diana, Lois & Jon, John Henry, Kara, Conner, and Jimmy. Even other heroes should think that Superman is just Superman 24-7.

I think Perry knows but keeps his mouth shut about it.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-09-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think most people should call him Clark. Other Kryptonians, people who only know that he is a Kryptonian and Diana should call him Kal.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Clark on Earth. Kal in space and future adventures.

Was it ever explained why Wonder Woman calls him Kal?

Does Diana even call him Kal anymore? I thought that she called him Clark regularly since the New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Bruce and Barry call him Clark. Diana and Arthur (who's names give them the right to rule vast, powerful nations) call him Kal.
    I think Orin Aquaman would probably call him Kal.

Arthur Curry Aquaman would probably call him Clark.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Everyone should just call Superman "Kal", because calling him Superman to his face is weird. Only Lois, their son Jon, Lana, Kara Zor-El, and Bruce (prolly Dick by extension) know he's Clark Kent and has a real human life.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-09-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Friends and family should call him Clark, barring Kara who knew him as Kal.

Retired

Kal-El for people from Krypton. Clark Kent to his wife and the people he works with at the Planet. Superman to the Justice League and the other super-heroes he teams up with.

Clark Kent is that guy that wears the glasses, the suit and the tie, who combs his hair back and reports on the news. Superman is the guy in the blue suit, with the big red S, the spit-curl and the red cape who saves people from danger.

It's just better for all the heroes to have the habit of always calling him Superman or Supes--then they aren't going to be caught out calling him Clark or Clarky by mistake. Obviously, if he's in the Clark Kent identity, then he should be called Clark or C.K.

Clark Kent and Superman are two different personas, keep it all straight and nobody will be confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Clark on Earth. Kal in space and future adventures.

Was it ever explained why Wonder Woman calls him Kal?
    I can't recall any writer ever going into the specifics of it. I've always had the feeling it was just something that became her "thing" over the years for no reason in particular. Just something that happened a few times then stuck. In my head canon though she calls (or used to call, she calls him Clark more nowadays, unfortunately) him Kal for the reasons Ascended stated.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-09-2019 at 07:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Kal-El for people from Krypton. Clark Kent to his wife and the people he works with at the Planet. Superman to the Justice League and the other super-heroes he teams up with.

Clark Kent is that guy that wears the glasses, the suit and the tie, who combs his hair back and reports on the news. Superman is the guy in the blue suit, with the big red S, the spit-curl and the red cape who saves people from danger.

It's just better for all the heroes to have the habit of always calling him Superman or Supes--then they aren't going to be caught out calling him Clark or Clarky by mistake. Obviously, if he's in the Clark Kent identity, then he should be called Clark or C.K.

Clark Kent and Superman are two different personas, keep it all straight and nobody will be confused.
    So, Ma and Pa should just call him Superman or Kal, despite naming him and raising him as Clark? Because before he knew he was "Kal-El", he was Clark Kent. Until his powers started to emerge.