Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Good lord...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I think you should change the title to, "These kids and their rock music: Get off my lawn!"

The whole generational thing is pretty damn tiring at this point.

I think you should change the title to, "These kids and their rock music: Get off my lawn!"

To counter that one of the highest rated shows for kids in the 80s and 90s was the usa cartoon express! reruns of yogi bear, smurfs and jabberjaw were doing so well it was hurting nicks brand new nicktoons block of cartoons! Yes smurfs and hong kong phooey were beating the pants off ren and stimpy and rugrats! It got so bad nick made a commercial insulting cartoon express and making it look "uncool" to watch! Lucky for nick they would yank the cartoons off usa to make their own cartoon network killing the cartoon express and saving nicks new block!

Also the highest rated shows on cartoon network for years was not dexter or cow and chicken. It was 60s episodes of scooby-doo and 40s and 50s tom and jerry cartoons!

Kids can like classic cartoons as much as they do new ones. My nephews love popeye, wacky races and 80s he-man just as much as they do new shows.

At the same time there are some good cartoons today. I really like some of the cartoons out today. There are not all awful or bad. Even with the new style there are some good shows. Trouble is the "gumball art" backlash has really starting to overshadow any show that uses it good or bad.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 02-10-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post

"Not my Superman"

To me, the only "generational thing" that's tiring is 20-something year old animators who are taking cartoons of MY generation and remaking them badly and without knowing why they were popular.

If today's animators want to create new things in a style I don't like, then that's fine. I understand that cartoons are not aimed at my demographic.

But don't take established characters with an established look and tone and change it so completely that it is unrecognizable--especially when the result seems to be little more than a badly drawn and animated self-parody that denigrates the originals.

Remember, this thread is about animated revivals, not about today's animation in general--although some spillover venting is expected.

Ultimate Member

I have to agree with this.

There’s been redux-es of classic cartoons several times in the past and some not very good.

It’s not an entirely new trend. Now the conversion of them to “parody” like Thundercats is quite odd but re-doing old cartoons isn’t new at all and isn’t exclusive to this generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    To me, the only "generational thing" that's tiring is 20-something year old animators who are taking cartoons of MY generation and remaking them badly and without knowing why they were popular.

If today's animators want to create new things in a style I don't like, then that's fine. I understand that cartoons are not aimed at my demographic.

But don't take established characters with an established look and tone and change it so completely that it is unrecognizable--especially when the result seems to be little more than a badly drawn and animated self-parody that denigrates the originals.

Remember, this thread is about animated revivals, not about today's animation in general--although some spillover venting is expected.
    That trend (which needs to die) isn't limited to animation. How many films have been released that take 70s-90s dramas from TV and turn them into farcical movies? Too many, as far as I'm concerned.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Their not YOUR cartoons though.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Their not YOUR cartoons though.
    They're NOT? Oh, wait. I knew that.

However, I am a consumer, and consumers have a right to either praise or pan the products they buy/watch. If not, there goes the Internet.

BANNED

Anyone remember On The Rocks?

It’s not an entirely new trend. Now the conversion of them to “parody” like Thundercats is quite odd but re-doing old cartoons isn’t new at all and isn’t exclusive to this generation.

Trouble is kids today have never seen the other thundercats shows so this will be what they think of thundercats. If the old show is still on it would be more all right but it's not. So kids are go to grow up thinking thundercats is a show about lion-o and his "magic stick thingy" and mumm-ra going to the bathroom and reading a paper before attacking. They will grow up thinking thundercats is a teen titans go type comedy show. If they are going to do this then put the old one back on cn or at least the reboot from a few years ago with it.

Anyone remember On The Rocks?
    Yes and the classic flintstones and pebbles and bam bamm were both still on cn when they aired it.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Amen.

And should be pretty embarrassing for the animators in question.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    You're upset you're not the target demographic of something you liked as a child and want to gatekeep it. It's fandom entitlement at its worst.
    He has a point when it comes to revivals like Thunder cats Roar. What's the point of that being Thunder Cats when there's no interest in keeping it Thunder Cats? It's like the people who make these revials feel the need to throw away the old fans when there's no benefit in doing so.

Extraordinary Member

It is true not sure what the obsession is with remaking old cartoons as trash. Maybe they're just jealous they didn't have cool stuff growing up.

I watched part of the "Flintstones" clip and a tiny bit of "Popeye".

Good Lord!!!! BLECH!!!

Hate the animation, hate the style, and I can't believe people watch that crap and give them ratings.
    Pepples and Bam Bam characters look stupid.
    And it looks like Fred and Barney got mashed under a smasher and they're very short and condensed looking.

In the past 6 years, my husband and I have been buying, collecting, and rewatching all the classic shows on DVD we grew up with.
    We love the Flintstones and the Jetsons and Johnny Quest and on and on.
    Also, just got the first season of the 90's X-Men.
    All these shows were good and fun to watch.
    This stuff is a joke. If we had kids they'd never watch anything but the good ole stuff.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....