Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Character design and animation is not always important than writing/storytelling as not everything can be like the 90s

Osamu Tezuka, the creator of Astro Boy and one of my animation idols when he once said; "… a good story can save poor animation, where good animation cannot save a poor story."
    I disagree the man. If I just want a good story I will read a book. A good story isn't going to make me overlook bad animation. It could a direct impact to whatever story is being told. Visual mediums are a sum of it parts. Nothing is gained undervaluing any part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I disagree the man. If I just want a good story I will read a book. A good story isn't going to make me overlook bad animation. It could a direct impact to whatever story is being told. Visual mediums are a sum of it parts. Nothing is gained undervaluing any part of it.
    It really depends for me. The animation doesn't have to be stellar, but certain depictions can be too jarring. The anime retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo uses a collage technique that I find too distracting (imagine a dozen different textures that don't move despite that the people with them are moving), and Hand Shakers had animation that was eyeball hurting, which thankfully prevented me from learning firsthand how utterly horrible the storytelling was behind it.

On the other extreme, many fan works are pretty poorly animated by professional standards, but I still rewatch Floating Hands Studios X-Men stuff from time to time because it's one of the funniest takes I have ever seen. And South Park was a smashing success despite the animation being lackluster - I'd say barely more polished than a fan work at the start of the run.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Take a look at South Park, that show has lazy and simple designs and the animation is not special but who cares, the show is so good because of how well written it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Take a look at South Park, that show has lazy and simple designs and the animation is not special but who cares, the show is so good because of how well written it is.
    Well, it was originally paper cutouts until they got computer programs that could do the animation instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, it was originally paper cutouts until they got computer programs that could do the animation instead.
    Actually after the first episode South Park has always been computer animation made to look like paper cutouts. And they had computers all along.

Fan Question: Do you still use construction paper to animate the show?

Answer: We actually haven’t used real construction paper since the pilot episode “Cartman Gets an Anal Probe.” After that, South Park made the big switch to big ‘ol fancy computers. We use a number of programs to make the finished product,
    but most of the animation is done in Maya (a powerful 3D animation program).

It should be noted, however, that the construction paper used in that pilot episode was then scanned into a massive computer database, which animators now use to create the show. This allows us to continue to animate with construction paper textures,
    even though they were using computers. And they’ve used those SAME TEXTURES for the past 16 years
    http://southpark.cc.com/blog/2013/06...imate-the-show

There is a right way to do updates that take risks: it's to be inventive and have actual talent and creativity.

If you're going to do something wildly different, do them as interstitials before and after commercial breaks, but make them GOOD and don't insult the characters, the history, or the fans of the original. To wit, here's some of the interstitials that they ran on Boomerang 15-plus years ago. Anyone remember these?

Here's the Jabberjaw one. I generally found these to be incredibly fun and inventive. These weren't that long ago. Where are THESE animators now?

Here's Jonny Quest: