Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
The shield is a symbol of what Captain America stands for: the American Dream. The ideals. Not the reality. Steve has said this over and over, in every single Cap run since Englehart. He also was pretty clear about it in last month’s issue. He said, point-blank, that they had come after anyone who had been Cap, name-dropped specific incidents, i.e. Bucky going to trial, as a means to hijack the symbol. A ‘person’ is easy to ruin, re: make Bucky stand trial as the Winter Soldier, publish editorials criticizing Sam’s tenure, frame Steve for murder. But the symbol of the shield, what it stands for: liberty, equal opportunity, freedom, lives on beyond Steve, Bucky or Sam. Steve deliberately does not turn the shield in, even though Nick Jr. specifically asks for it, because Steve knew, and he said this, in dialogue, the hope that the symbol represents must live on.

I’m on my phone and not a desktop, but I will post panels if you need a refresher.

Also, if Steve viewed the mantle as a curse he wouldn’t have requested it to live on beyond his existence in this mortal plane. That’s not to say it’s easy, it’s definitely difficult, Steve is aware of that much. But he did not deliberately set Sam up to fail.
I don’t think you can imbue a metal object with what you say it is. Steve Rogers is imbued with the symbol of freedom, not a shield.