All-New Member

Default Relatively new to marvel. Looking for tips.

I'm jumping deep into marvel now. It started with my girlfriend having me watch guardians of the galaxy 2 and it's snow balled greatly from there.

So now I'm collecting the comics and got a decent collection going. The first major story arc I'm going through is Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest. Currently on the Nova Annual before reading Annihilation Conquest pt. 3. Which will ultimately lead me into the guardians of the galaxy.

My current question and possibly next story line to dive into is going to be captain america. So my question is what are your suggested story lines and reading content that will cover his character arc and important characters and story lines that will lead me into civil war and then secret empire.

Thanks in advance.

i'd certainly recommend starting at brubaker's captain america #1 (2004). that'll lead you up through civil war and well beyond, and it's generally regarded as the best captain america run of the 2000s (cue contrarians).

rick remender's run interrupts brubaker's and nick spencer's. i enjoyed it and think it's worth reading, but it's probably not necessary to enjoy nick spencer's run, which features secret empire. if memory serves spencer's run starts with sam wilson: captain america #1, then steve rogers: captain america #1 launches a few months later, and both end with secret empire.

i would recommend using Wiki for that avengers: standoff event, or whatever the hell it was called, prior to starting spencer's stuff. something kind of important happens, but i thought the actual mini-event was pretty blah.

if you just want to read good captain america comics not tied to an event, i'm forever a proponent of the 90s mark waid stuff.

All-New Member

That's a pretty good direction but still looking for some older stuff that sets up his freezing and thawing.. the death of Bucky and the return of bucky etc as well. I'm just about to start the first red skull story in captain Americas first comic back in 1941.

You are going to want to read Kurt Busiek and George Perez's entire Avengers run.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain July View Post
    That's a pretty good direction but still looking for some older stuff that sets up his freezing and thawing.. the death of Bucky and the return of bucky etc as well. I'm just about to start the first red skull story in captain Americas first comic back in 1941.
    The freezing/thawing and Buck's death are covered in his modern origin in Avengers (1963) #4. Buck's return is all Brubaker stuff.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain July View Post
    There's nothing about Cap's freezing or Bucky's death in the Golden Age stuff. That was retconned in Avengers #4, as Snoop Dogg said.

I second the Brubaker run, as it deals with alot of that. Except for the Invaders, I don't think Bucky played a big role in Cap runs prior to that.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Pop into the Captain America appreciation thread and ask about recommendations. I'm sure they have a few.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?