Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    On another one, I find funny how different Spencer's Spidey seems in comparation to his Cap(s), like if a different writter was on it instead (His Spidey I highly recommend also, 10/10 atm)
    Comparing his Cap and Spidey runs is interesting, just because his Cap books had a clear goal in mind for the type of story they were trying to tell, their overall message, while also being fairly standalone compared to the rest of the Captain America books. In contrast, his Spider-Man is jumping right into the long continuity of the series, and right after Slott's 10 year run, so it's been mostly alot of character moments and moving all the pieces around, rather than having a specific thing to say about Spider-Man (at least at the moment). And all of that stuff has been excellent, because it fits with that character and series, but I am interested to see when he gets to the point where we find out what his Spider-Man is "about" and what he has to say on the character, similar to his work in Captain America, but also even on Ant-Man and Superior Foes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Comparing his Cap and Spidey runs is interesting, just because his Cap books had a clear goal in mind for the type of story they were trying to tell, their overall message, while also being fairly standalone compared to the rest of the Captain America books. In contrast, his Spider-Man is jumping right into the long continuity of the series, and right after Slott's 10 year run, so it's been mostly alot of character moments and moving all the pieces around, rather than having a specific thing to say about Spider-Man (at least at the moment). And all of that stuff has been excellent, because it fits with that character and series, but I am interested to see when he gets to the point where we find out what his Spider-Man is "about" and what he has to say on the character, similar to his work in Captain America, but also even on Ant-Man and Superior Foes.
    His spidey run has a lot of fanservice too haha

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Reposting this from the Marvel Most Controversial Moments' Thread

- - - - -

After Hickman's Avengers, and Secret Wars, there were no Marvel Books I was interested at, as the ANAD era bored me to no end (with the exception of Ms Marvel)
    Then, Avengers Standoff happened, which picked my curiousity, and I really liked it a lot (that Red Skull ending was great imo)
    After that, I got Spencer's 1st Cap Run which I liked, and then, the whole Steve's HAIL HYDRA thing exploded worldwide (oh Lord, those days were WILD, to say the least.. the whole internet went nuts, and becam warzone-like)
    But, the whole premise really raised my interest, and imo, Spencer was killing it
    Seeing Steve manipulating and outplaying the whole MU was a great, and well executed imo
    Civil War II: The Oath is my favorite book of all time for a lot of reasons (I will explain why later), and the Secret Empire tease pumped me up
    Unsurprisingly, I LOVED Secret Empire, as it wad the culmination of Spencer's work on both Steve and Sam

Yeah, the timing for the whole thing was poor as someone above said (writing about Fascism post-Trump lmao), but I am sure most of you cant deny that Spencer did an awesome work building up to that event since the end of Standoff, and I greatly commend him for that (as most current events happen with little or zero build up, see civil war 2)

In short, while highly controversial for all reasons mentioned above, I really enjoyed the Caps' Runs, and Secret Empire, and I really think the hate was unwarranted imo (specially since the ones that complained the most were non-comicbook readers at all)
    Also.. death threats? Uh..

On another one, I find funny how different Spencer's Spidey seems in comparation to his Cap(s), like if a different writter was on it instead (His Spidey I highly recommend also, 10/10 atm)
    Amazing write-up, other than Thor after Secret Wars I was pretty much done with Marvel Comics because it was such a great ending. But Spencer's take on the Star Spangled Avenger whooey, great myth making.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This has nothing to do with anything.

If you brought this theory up to Hickman or Spencer, the reaction would surely be "what the fu*k are you even talking about?"

You are reading way, way, way too much into the restructuring of the MU at the end of Secret Wars.

It was just a way to continue telling stories because, you know, the MU still has to exist for that. It has nothing to do with its recreation being flawed or "unsanctified."

The Marvel universe is a fictional place. A story could be told in which it was reconstructed by the Impossible Man and it would be every bit as sanctified as by any other fictional means.
    It was a question to the poster I was answering. I was trying to get a feel for his or her post.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I suspect Sam giving up the shield was executive meddling and Spencer intended his run to end with Sam and the real Steve both being Cap (Marvel Legacy #1 seemed to show a duplicate of the shield). After all, he did create a new Falcon, and during Secret Empire, a second, patriotic themed, sidekick was given to Sam as well.
    I was a big proponent of Sam Wilson being Captain America, but both Rick Remender and Nick Spencer couldn’t fit an African American into the image of what America stood for, and continually hounded him during the whole run, so that by the time Secret Empire arrived in full, Sam Wilson gave up and left to live in the forest. It was very disappointing to start with, because Sam stood for a culture that was intimate to the American experience and deserved to be recognised. The only message I get about the Sam Cap runs were we can’t have an African American represent our country. That may be a wrong impression, but that’s the impression I get. Sam made a great Captain America, and he could have taken that role to great heights, but the story given to us is the MU public couldn’t accept him. That’s the wrong message.

If Secret Empire was supposed to be the story of Sam Wilson’s heroism, then why isn’t Sam Wilson Captain America now? I just wanted Sam Wilson to be this confident personality able to do what he intended, but maybe culture held him back? I think Remender and Spencer loaded Wilson with too much responsibility for the culture Sam came from.

Steve Rogers came from a very poor background but he scrambled up to be the symbol of America. Sam came from just as poor a culture too. Was it the Super Soldier serum that gave Rogers more ability to deflect distractions so he could freely carry on his mission? Does Sam Wilson need the Super Soldier serum?
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-10-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Reposting this from the Marvel Most Controversial Moments' Thread

- - - - -

After Hickman's Avengers, and Secret Wars, there were no Marvel Books I was interested at, as the ANAD era bored me to no end (with the exception of Ms Marvel)
    Then, Avengers Standoff happened, which picked my curiousity, and I really liked it a lot (that Red Skull ending was great imo)
    After that, I got Spencer's 1st Cap Run which I liked, and then, the whole Steve's HAIL HYDRA thing exploded worldwide (oh Lord, those days were WILD, to say the least.. the whole internet went nuts, and becam warzone-like)
    But, the whole premise really raised my interest, and imo, Spencer was killing it
    Seeing Steve manipulating and outplaying the whole MU was a great, and well executed imo
    Civil War II: The Oath is my favorite book of all time for a lot of reasons (I will explain why later), and the Secret Empire tease pumped me up
    Unsurprisingly, I LOVED Secret Empire, as it wad the culmination of Spencer's work on both Steve and Sam

Yeah, the timing for the whole thing was poor as someone above said (writing about Fascism post-Trump lmao), but I am sure most of you cant deny that Spencer did an awesome work building up to that event since the end of Standoff, and I greatly commend him for that (as most current events happen with little or zero build up, see civil war 2)

In short, while highly controversial for all reasons mentioned above, I really enjoyed the Caps' Runs, and Secret Empire, and I really think the hate was unwarranted imo (specially since the ones that complained the most were non-comicbook readers at all)
    Also.. death threats? Uh..

I got confused about Captain America in the ANAD. Rick Remender made a point of old man Steve handing over the legacy to a young Sam Wilson to become Captain America, well before Secret Wars. Then ANAD came and Falcon Cap was the resident Captain America, and he had a hard time of it, even old man Steve was on his case.

Then Nick Spencer dissected the idea of what Captain America was. Firstly, showing an African American version, then, reinstating the Steve Rogers version in Avengers Standoff, a story I felt was thin in fabric. By that I mean, I couldn’t immerse myself in that story as a mini event. It was a screw-up of a prison system, and suddenly Sam had no relevance when young Steve returned. Now Steve was the focus again, and when his series started, it challenged even Steve’s standing as the symbol of America. It put into question the whole premise of why a we need a Cap. It deconstructed the role of Cap. Sam got replaced, and how could Sam be Cap with Steve Rogers back? Did Steve ever have to operate with a previous Captain America looking over his shoulder? It was very intimidating to Sam. In the end, I wonder what Nick Spencer was telling us about Captain America? If Marvel wanted to discredit Captain America, this is how you would do it.
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-10-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I was a big proponent of Sam Wilson being Captain America, but both Rick Remender and Nick Spencer couldn’t fit an African American into the image of what America stood for, and continually hounded him during the whole run, so that by the time Secret Empire arrived in full, Sam Wilson gave up and left to live in the forest. It was very disappointing to start with, because Sam stood for a culture that was intimate to the American experience and deserved to be recognised. The only message I get about the Sam Cap runs were we canÂ’t have an African American represent our country. That may be a wrong impression, but thatÂ’s the impression I get. Sam made a great Captain America, and he could have taken that role to great heights, but the story given to us is the MU public couldnÂ’t accept him. ThatÂ’s the wrong message.

If Secret Empire was supposed to be the story of Sam WilsonÂ’s heroism, then why isnÂ’t Sam Wilson Captain America now? I just wanted Sam Wilson to be this confident personality able to do what he intended, but maybe culture held him back? I think Remender and Spencer loaded Wilson with too much responsibility for the culture Sam came from.

Steve Rogers came from a very poor background but he scrambled up to be the symbol of America. Sam came from just as poor a culture too. Was it the Super Soldier serum that gave Rogers more ability to deflect distractions so he could freely carry on his mission? Does Sam Wilson need the Super Soldier serum?
    I love Sam Wilson, not more than Steve, but I do love him, and it made sense to me that he would be who Steve would choose to be Cap, but the reason Sam isn’t Cap right now is the same reason Bucky isn’t. And the same reason Clark Kent is Superman. And that reason is that deaths and aging ups are never intended to be permanent when it comes to popular, well-loved characters. When Steve was shot in Brubaker’s run, Brubaker went to #1 that month. He also went to #1 when he brought Steve back in Captain America Reborn. Incidentally those were the only two times Brubaker hit #1. When DC first killed Superman they sold something like 2 million copies, it was insane. But it will always come back to Steve because Steve sells better, and status quo bias is a thing that exists. He’s a household name. He’s mainstream. And he brings in the dough. To give an example: Captain America Steve Rogers sold twice as many copies as Captain America Sam Wilson when both were being sold at the same time. And a lot of people would attribute that to racism, except for the fact that Bucky can’t sell either. Coates new Cap run sold 172,142 copies its first issue, it was the 15th top selling comic of the year, for all companies, including DC, whereas the new Winter Soldier run sold only 26,329 copies its first issue. Steve, more than any other Cap character, simply has the popularity the others don’t.

This is refelected in more than just comic sales. I recently saw someone on reddit post a survey that was done by a political polling company when Infinity War (the movie) came out. I guess Disney hired them to do it, or whatever. Anyway the poll surveyed people from multiple ages and backgrounds to see who the most popular Marvel characters were with regular people outside of fandom, Steve was tied with Tony for third place after Spider-Man (1st place) and Hulk (2nd place).

Link to survey

No matter who, briefly, carries the mantle, it’s always going to come back to Steve.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 02-10-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Bucky is, however, a thotty totty who's always in publication while Sam has been sacrificed to Brevoort's hounds since Legacy ended, now only surviving in video games. If only there was some way they could combine their smaller fanbases... Nah, there's no way : ((((((((
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    And a lot of people would attribute that to racism, except for the fact that Bucky can’t sell either. Coates new Cap run sold 172,142 copies its first issue, it was the 15th top selling comic of the year, for all companies, including DC, whereas the new Winter Soldier run sold only 26,329 copies its first issue. Steve, more than any other Cap character, simply has the popularity the others don’t.
    We ALL know the real reason that the Winter Soldier mini isn't selling is because they refuse to cut Bucky's hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Bucky is, however, a thotty totty who's always in publication while Sam has been sacrificed to Brevoort's hounds since Legacy ended, now only surviving in video games. If only there was some way they could combine their smaller fanbases... Nah, there's no way : ((((((((
    I'll eat my hat if there isn't a Winter Soldier/Falcon mini once the Disney+ series comes out.

He's also one of the only main character of Avengers Assemble who was cut out of Avengers: Black Panther's Quest (then again, so was Hulk), but I don't see that many fans for cartoon Falcon .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He's also one of the only main character of Avengers Assemble who was cut out of Avengers: Black Panther's Quest (then again, so was Hulk), but I don't see that many fans for cartoon Falcon .
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Bumper Robinson did his level best at an Anthony Mackie impression. It's just too bad the writing wasn't there to match .

I love Sam Wilson, not more than Steve, but I do love him, and it made sense to me that he would be who Steve would choose to be Cap, but the reason Sam isn’t Cap right now is the same reason Bucky isn’t. And the same reason Clark Kent is Superman. And that reason is that deaths and aging ups are never intended to be permanent when it comes to popular, well-loved characters. When Steve was shot in Brubaker’s run, Brubaker went to #1 that month. He also went to #1 when he brought Steve back in Captain America Reborn. Incidentally those were the only two times Brubaker hit #1. When DC first killed Superman they sold something like 2 million copies, it was insane. But it will always come back to Steve because Steve sells better, and status quo bias is a thing that exists. He’s a household name. He’s mainstream. And he brings in the dough. To give an example: Captain America Steve Rogers sold twice as many copies as Captain America Sam Wilson when both were being sold at the same time. And a lot of people would attribute that to racism, except for the fact that Bucky can’t sell either. Coates new Cap run sold 172,142 copies its first issue, it was the 15th top selling comic of the year, for all companies, including DC, whereas the new Winter Soldier run sold only 26,329 copies its first issue. Steve, more than any other Cap character, simply has the popularity the others don’t.

This is refelected in more than just comic sales. I recently saw someone on reddit post a survey that was done by a political polling company when Infinity War (the movie) came out. I guess Disney hired them to do it, or whatever. Anyway the poll surveyed people from multiple ages and backgrounds to see who the most popular Marvel characters were with regular people outside of fandom, Steve was tied with Tony for third place after Spider-Man (1st place) and Hulk (2nd place).

Link to survey

No matter who, briefly, carries the mantle, it’s always going to come back to Steve.
    I can understand Steve is more popular than Sam, but why didn’t Remender and Spencer imbue Sam with some love by the MU citizens instead of all the hate? Sales figures are popularity contests, but portraying your new Falcon Cap as worthy, and respected still helps Sam be Captain America, instead of portraying Sam as “Not my Cap”. Give him a chance in comics, not discard him as soon as he wears the costume. It’s sabotage to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I can understand Steve is more popular than Sam, but why didn’t Remender and Spencer imbue Sam with some love by the MU citizens instead of all the hate? Sales figures are popularity contests, but portraying your new Falcon Cap as worthy, and respected still helps Sam be Captain America, instead of portraying Sam as “Not my Cap”. Give him a chance in comics, not discard him as soon as he wears the costume. It’s sabotage to my mind.
    Oh, okay. I see what you’re saying. Yeah, you may have a point there. I guess a struggling Sam is the story Spencer wanted to tell. As has been discussed Spencer was a pretty political writer, he seemingly had little desire to sugar-coat anything, which is most likely why he went the route he did. But I agree that it would have been nice to see the other side, too. A Sam, as Cap, who gets to be the clear hero, viewed as heroic by his peers and those he saves, with all the confidence to go along with it. Sam deserved some accolades, certainly.

Oh, okay. I see what you’re saying. Yeah, you may have a point there. I guess a struggling Sam is the story Spencer wanted to tell. As has been discussed Spencer was a pretty political writer, he seemingly had little desire to sugar-coat anything, which is most likely why he went the route he did. But I agree that it would have been nice to see the other side, too. A Sam, as Cap, who gets to be the clear hero, viewed as heroic by his peers and those he saves, with all the confidence to go along with it. Sam deserved some accolades, certainly.
    Yes, that Sam I would have liked to see.