Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default a Force of Nature! Black Lightning Appreciation Thread '19

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Justice, like lightning, should ever appear to some men, hope; and to others, fear!"
    - Jefferson Pierce

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Mighty Member

*sighs* I’m still so upset that we aren’t getting this guy on a monthly basis....yet.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    *sighs* I’m still so upset that we aren’t getting this guy on a monthly basis....yet.
    it's unfortunate, We should've gotten him in two books by now (first story in OTher History of the DC Universe and leading Outsiders) but both are mysteriously delayed indefinitely at the moment. Luckily, between his show's acclaim and his shine on Young Justice, I would like to believe he's gathered enough goodwill to keep him in DC's consciousness long enough they'll get it together and give him more regular on-page appearances.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Well, at least last month he was in

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    it's unfortunate, We should've gotten him in two books by now (first story in OTher History of the DC Universe and leading Outsiders) but both are mysteriously delayed indefinitely at the moment. Luckily, between his show's acclaim and his shine on Young Justice, I would like to believe he's gathered enough goodwill to keep him in DC's consciousness long enough they'll get it together and give him more regular on-page appearances.
    An ongoing series would be nice too. I get tired of him being restricted to teams and minis. He deserves to have his world fleshed out. It gets to the point where people are saying he works better in an ensemble. He can work solo too.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

An ongoing series would be nice too. I get tired of him being restricted to teams and minis. He deserves to have his world fleshed out. It gets to the point where people are saying he works better in an ensemble. He can work solo too.
    But, how have sales of his solo-titles (ongoing and limited series) been in the past? Are they strong enough to support a regular, on-going title?
    (I don't know the answer to how they've done in the past myself, but it is always a question that has to be considered, no matter how much some of us may WANT something.)

His solo is contingent on how much effort DC wants to put in.

The rogues are there and can all be updated. The supporting cast is there and can all be redefined. The main thing DC continues to lack is showing a character like this as being important. Showing them as a major character in their events. Developing some clout throughout the DCU. Having them not be subservient to other heroes.

Back that up with a writer who really wants to build up the Black Lightning corner of DC that the fans trust. Someone that actually has some pull at DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    . . . Back that up with a writer who really wants to build up the Black Lightning corner of DC that the fans trust. Someone that actually has some pull at DC.
    But who can do both of those things? Are the writers who have "pull" at DC also the same ones who really want to build up the "Black Lightning corner of DC"?

Do you know any current writers that can definitely incorporate both aspects that you want?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But who can do both of those things? Are the writers who have "pull" at DC also the same ones who really want to build up the "Black Lightning corner of DC"?

Do you know any current writers that can definitely incorporate both aspects that you want?
    To be fair, Grant Morrison initially didn't want to write Hal until DC wore him down and from what I hear (because I don't read that title) it's been working out just fine. If DC had the same enthusiasm courting for their other great but underserved characters, characters like Black Lightning would've had solos ages ago.

currently following:

His live action show was a blessing in disguise. He went from sporadically appearing here and there to being a lead on YJ, being a part of Detective Comics and hopefully getting focus in a new Outsiders book. It's about time DC started pushing him!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    His live action show was a blessing in disguise. He went from sporadically appearing here and there to being a lead on YJ, being a part of Detective Comics and hopefully getting focus in a new Outsiders book. It's about time DC started pushing him!
    According to Hill, he is still doing Outsiders, so I think it will still come some time this year. Considering he's on all the Covers they've released of Outsiders, think BL will be the driving force leading Outsiders. The shows has 100% been a blessing for Black Lightning, I wasn't huge on the character before but the show really put me on and he's fast becoming one of my favorites (not quite there yet but I'm rooting for 'em). I think between his appearances on his show and Young Justice, how DC plays it in the comics will be very revealing of the comics wing as a whole. This could be a repeat of how they fumbled John Stewart's goodwill back when he was having his cultural moment on Justice League and JL: Unlimited.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-10-2019 at 02:52 PM.

currently following:

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, how have sales of his solo-titles (ongoing and limited series) been in the past? Are they strong enough to support a regular, on-going title?
    (I don't know the answer to how they've done in the past myself, but it is always a question that has to be considered, no matter how much some of us may WANT something.)
    Lesser characters have been given solo titles.

I saw a Superhero, and he was black.

He said this is for the street, Black Lightning is back .

Lesser characters have been given solo titles.
    But how long have they thrived / survived?

Black Lightning has had solo books in the past (I bought all of his original run back in the 1970s when it was being published), but how well have his recent runs done?
    Things like that may factor in to whether DC wants to try again with him as a solo-book (though you'd think the TV show would be additional incentive for them if they had a concept lined up).

Default My Favorite Outsiders cover thus far

currently following: