Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Should the X-Men really end Nate greys Utopia?

Yeah, Nate is doing some messed up stuff
    But do they have to completely end it?
    What if they decide to stay in that world than return to one where they are hunted and killed.

I remember a comic from the 90s,where Exodus stops a mutant guy from being shot by the human father of the flatscan girl he is dating. Exodus then brings peace to Genosha by controlling everyone on the island,allowing mutants and humans to live in peace.

The X-Men come in and tell him to stop because he is not God.

They turn off the machine causing the mind control, and the first act of the released humans is to kill the mutant boy, while the mutants kill the human girl.

As usual, the Xmen have nothing to say.

Are the Xmen fighting stubbornly and obstinately because they refuse to accept being saved and cling to a world that has already forsaken them?

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/CNBSDAobFR...67k92WKp=s1600

Like Age of Apocalypse Nightcrawler, killing people on 616 earth and willing to risk the destruction of Earth, because it was not the real world and just a shadow of his world (which is basically he'll on earth, and 616 was much better for mutants at that time).
    Last edited by Del torro; 02-10-2019 at 07:40 AM.

BANNED

Not really. But you know they will because it's not "heroic" choosing to stay in a world where people won't hound you to death.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

It's not the idea of Utopia that bothers me. It's the control issue. Why should one person be allowed to decide what is best for everyone. Ever watched Star Trek? How many times did the crew step in and mess up some place that was idyllic when the idea was being forced. People are flawed, but the cost of utopia is too high when freedom of choice is removed.

"We have to go, our fake planet needs us."

*The X-Men all died in their AU.*
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

His idea of "Utopia" is ridiculous and untenable, based on the idea that if everybody was alone, things would be perfect; and is using god like power to try (and fail) to force a world where there are no basic human attachments. This is stupid.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    His idea of "Utopia" is ridiculous and untenable, based on the idea that if everybody was alone, things would be perfect; and is using god like power to try (and fail) to force a world where there are no basic human attachments. This is stupid.
    I'm frankly surprised that the question is being asked. The writers have very deliberately shown that, whatever system Nate has in place, it is dysfunctional from the ground up. There is no utopia, just a surface illusion kept in place through the literal re-writing of history (individual and otherwise), indoctrination (unwittingly or not, Kurt is making propaganda flicks), and the quiet disappearance of people who see through that veneer or otherwise don't march in step.

I would not call the world that Nate created as Utopia.

If we're talking about a mutant paradise think House of M deserved more Utopia description than Age of X-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I'm frankly surprised that the question is being asked. The writers have very deliberately shown that, whatever system Nate has in place, it is dysfunctional from the ground up. There is no utopia, just a surface illusion kept in place through the literal re-writing of history (individual and otherwise), indoctrination (unwittingly or not, Kurt is making propaganda flicks), and the quiet disappearance of people who see through that veneer or otherwise don't march in step.

I didn't say they should remain with him in control.
    I would like if they don't completely end it. Convince him to tone down the mind control and love hate, and then remain there instead of going back to 616

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    They were also being pretty clear that the edits on Laura's mind to make her forget her attachment and love for her sister Gabby were definitely not something that would happen in a true paradise. Nate is just doing that because he thinks that is how his life was constructed except he is adding in a support system for everyone to cope with the loss of personal attachments. It's a losing battle and you can see with the direction Apocalypse is going with his "free love" speeches that Apocalypse already knows the flaw in Nate's system and can easily break it. Things are going to escalate fast, they were escalating in the first issue, Jean and Laura are already showing signs of being susceptible to Apocalypse's doctrine.

The Age of X-Man is a house of cards and it's very easy to push it over by just pulling out a few of those cards. It's going to come crashing down at some point in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    What if they decide to stay in that world than return to one where they are hunted and killed.

I remember a comic from the 90s,where Exodus stops a mutant guy from being shot by the human father of the flatscan girl he is dating. Exodus then brings peace to Genosha by controlling everyone on the island,allowing mutants and humans to live in peace.

The X-Men come in and tell him to stop because he is not God.

They turn off the machine causing the mind control, and the first act of the released humans is to kill the mutant boy, while the mutants kill the human girl.

As usual, the Xmen have nothing to say.

Are the Xmen fighting stubbornly and obstinately because they refuse to accept being saved and cling to a world that has already forsaken them?

Like Age of Apocalypse Nightcrawler, killing people on 616 earth and willing to risk the destruction of Earth, because it was not the real world and just a shadow of his world (which is basically he'll on earth, and 616 was much better for mutants at that time).
    That would spell the end of the X-Line so I can't support the idea. Even if it didn't it's really a choice between living in a fantasy or in reality. If the majority of the X-Men choose living in a fantasy world 100% of the time, what does that say about their sanity?

The X-Men are heroes precisely because they stand up and fight the evils of the 616. If they decide to stay in AoXM, would they really be able to live with turning their backs on the world.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    The characters in AoXm don't realize that their agency is restricted. Its pretty much our world with a few different details lol.

Some things need to continue even after this world falls apart. Characters need to be happy sometimes, readers want to see them at peace occasionally, extinction stories are outdated.
    Characters do deserve happiness, but not everyone is happy here. You have characters in prison for nonother reason than that they wanted a human and romantic relationship with a trusted and consenting. Others are imprisoned just because Nate needs them out of the way so that he can play with the other X-Men like they're action figures.

Now, had Nate given the X-Men a choice and some of them chose to live in this utopia, then OK! But he didn't. He just grabbed everyone he could and forced them into this.

With the focus on the denial of sex and family relationships, this whole world feels so extremely violating.

I mean, even Nightcrawler and Meggan, a popular couple in fan circles, leaves a bad taste in your mouth because not only is Meggan a married mother, but because neither of them really know what is happening. The same with Blob and Psylocke. These characters don't have a choice.

Heck, I know it was sort of a joke, but this even applies to Apocalypse's grouo, which we have some confirration is something of a sex cult. Now, whether that's true or not is one thing, but would any of those characters be working with Apocalypse if they had a choice? They probably would not.