Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Question about Tales of the New Gods trade paperback

It came out in 2008, it says here it collects some Walt Simonson Orion issues, a Mister Miracle special and Jack Kirby's Fourth World 2-20. Now why in the hell wouldn't it have the first issue of Jack Kirby's fourth world? Is it a typo or is this the case?

It only collects the back up stories not the main stories from JKFW #2-20. There was no back up story in the first issue, hence nothing from the first issue is collected.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    It only collects the back up stories not the main stories from JKFW #2-20. There was no back up story in the first issue, hence nothing from the first issue is collected.

-M
    Ah, thank you very much. I wish some of the sites would be more specific with stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Ah, thank you very much. I wish some of the sites would be more specific with stuff like this.
    Try the GCD here... https://www.comics.org/issue/407782/

it tells you exactly what is reprinted plus links to the original issues so you can see if there was other material from the issues not reprinted.

PS if you are interested in the book and have an Ollie's near you, you might look there. I picked up a copy from the huge DC lot of trades they brought in there and it was like $3 there.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Try the GCD here... https://www.comics.org/issue/407782/

it tells you exactly what is reprinted plus links to the original issues so you can see if there was other material from the issues not reprinted.

PS if you are interested in the book and have an Ollie's near you, you might look there. I picked up a copy from the huge DC lot of trades they brought in there and it was like $3 there.

-M
    PM me or post here. What is Ollies? A bookstore I assume? I get some great deals at half priced books but if there is another place I haven't heard of I'd love to know about it.

PM me or post here. What is Ollies? A bookstore I assume? I get some great deals at half priced books but if there is another place I haven't heard of I'd love to know about it.
    Ollie's is a discount store https://www.ollies.us/home.html

they bought out a huge load of DC books (I think from when DC closed their NY warehouses in the move to Burbank) and did well with it, so have continued to make huge buys of closeout trades the past few years. It's not a bookstore, but a closeout discount store, but they have carried trades in their book section.

-M

Also, Tales of the New Gods is one of the few series of Fourth World stuff I haven't read. Is the book reprints with original backups or what? Why isn't the main story collected?

Also, Tales of the New Gods is one of the few series of Fourth World stuff I haven't read. Is the book reprints with original backups or what? Why isn't the main story collected?
    Jack Kirby's Fourth World was all original material, it featured a lead story by John Byrne and back ups by various creators. Walt Simonson did a lot of the back ups, which lead to launching the Orion series by him when the Fourth World series ended. The back ups were collectively known as Tales of the New Gods, and the collection Tales of the New Gods was to showcase the various big name creators who worked on the Kirby creations. They mostly stood alone and didn't tie that closely to the main story being done by Byrne, so the collection didn't reprint the main stories. There was enough material form the back ups to create a single volume that would be of interest to fans of the Fourth World and to fans of the various creators who did the back ups, and including the main story would have made too much content for a single volume. There may have been plans to collect the main stories by Byrne, but that volume never materialized.

Creators who contributed to the back ups included the aforementioned John Byrne and Walt Simonson, but also folks like Frank Miller, Dave Gibbons, Erik Larsen, Howard Chaykin, Jeph Loeb, Rob Liefeld, Arthur Adams, Jim Lee, John Paul Leon. Kluas Janson, Eddie Campbell, Steve Ditko, Mark Millar and others. With a line up like that, they probably figured it was enough of a draw to put out a single volume of the short stories.

The volume also included the Mark Evanier and Steve Rude Mister Miracle special from 1986ish that was produced as part of the hype for the Legends mini series event. This, like each of the back ups, was a standalone story. The main stories from the series were not.

-M