Default Captain Jean DeWolff (NYPD) Appreciation (2019)

Like her brother Brian (the first Wraith), Jean DeWolff's first appearance was in Marvel Team-Up #48 (August 1976):

For those you who weren't alive and reading comic books back in '76, having a female Captain in a major police department wasn't quite as common as it later became. The women's liberation movement only came into prominence back in the late 1960s/1970s. Ms. magazine didn't start publishing until 1972; Virginia Slims cigarettes (which were marketed specifically to females) were introduced in 1968 and in 1976 were using advertisements saying "You've come a long way, baby, to get where you've come to today!"

Jean DeWolff's death was seen in The Spectacular Spider-Man #107 (October 1985).

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition Vol. 2 No. 17 (August 1987)

I'm surprised she never was part of the Defenders-related series. Or is she part of the "sony-licensed" characters under Spider-Man movies. Oh well. Would have been nice. So who could play her on a TV show or movie?

BANNED

She was a great character. Not the paper-thin stereotype police character usually associated with Spidey, they gave her depth and uniqueness, made the reader like and care about her and then - WHAM, out of no where she's gone. I still remember how shocked I was and kept waiting for the big reveal that it wasn't actually her. To Marvel's credit, they didn't make her death a gimmick but a true out of left field shock that hit Spidey hard. Great story-telling with permanent consequence that is not often seen these days.

Kinda feel bad that it seems like they're trying to replace her role in the mythos with Yuri Watanabe .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kinda feel bad that it seems like they're trying to replace her role in the mythos with Yuri Watanabe .
    Same here , but it is what it is I suppose.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It's not that surprising. She's been dead for decades. And she shares a name with one of the most famous members of the X-Men (a character mostly identified by that name).

BANNED

One of my favourite allies for Peter. Loved the revelation that she had a crush on Spidey in the Sin-Eater story.

"Damn it, why did she have to be that way?"

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    One of my favourite allies for Peter. Loved the revelation that she had a crush on Spidey in the Sin-Eater story.

"Damn it, why did she have to be that way?"
    That was one of the saddest moments in Spider-Man lore. I really felt that one, even though I was reading it for the first time many years after the story was first published. That said, anyone notice that she's only been adapted in animation once, and that was in Spectacular Spider-Man?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

In the 90’s animated series she had an expy in Detective Terri Lee...

We did get to see DeWolff adapted in the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series, but in that show she didn’t really seem to care for Spider-Man’s vigilante activity. I’m curious to know if her feelings would have changed had the show gotten more seasons. With her partner Stan Carter said that Spider-Man doesn’t go far enough when it comes to taking the law into his own hands I’m curious to know if the Sin Eater story was in their plans to adapt for the more mature DTVs.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    In the 90’s animated series she had an expy in Detective Terri Lee...

We did get to see DeWolff adapted in the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series, but in that show she didn’t really seem to care for Spider-Man’s vigilante activity. I’m curious to know if her feelings would have changed had the show gotten more seasons. With her partner Stan Carter said that Spider-Man doesn’t go far enough when it comes to taking the law into his own hands I’m curious to know if the Sin Eater story was in their plans to adapt for the more mature DTVs.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure what Carter said about Spider-Man not going far enough in his eyes was an allusion to his future career as the Sin-Eater, and would've also factored into the later developments for the series and his character. That said, depending on whether or not Captain Stacy lived, I could see DeWolff's attitude on Spider-Man changing for the better once she ended up in the same position as Stacy and had to seriously reassess her views.
    The spider is always on the hunt.