Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kraven the Hunter Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This thread is to serve as continuation of the previous "Kraven the Hunter Appreciation Thread" which can be found at
    From the previous version (originally created by Mister Mets back in late August of 2018):
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets
    I saw this online and had to share.

It seems a bit surprising there hasn't been an appreciation thread for Kraven, given that he has probably the best single story of any major Spider-Man villain with Kraven's Last Hunt, and Sony's throwing money at a film.
    And with Spencer's "Hunted" arc starting, it seemed like an ideal time to bring this thread back.

First appearance: Amazing Spider-Man #15 (August 1964):

and from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 (1964),

Oh, look.

The best Spider-Man villain.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Kraven is underrated. I really would like to see Max Fiumara drawing him again...

max kraven 1.jpg
    max kraven.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

And don't forget, Amazing Spider-Man #16 is due out later this month:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #16
    THE ROAD TO "HUNTED" STARTS HERE!
    • The biggest AMAZING SPIDER-MAN story of the year starts next month, so don't miss this prologue!
    • The Kraven thread gets woven into Spider-Man's life in a terrifying way that puts Spidey on the road to ruin!
    (W) Nick Spencer (A) Ryan Ottley (CA) Cully Hamner
    Rated T
    (US) SRP: $4.99
    In Shops: Feb 27, 2019
    https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC180953

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol. 1 No. 6 (June 1983)

(No Garfield this time.)

Kraven's really grown on me over the years. to the point where he's arguably my favorite Spider-Man villain. Definitely looking forward to Spencer's Hunted story arc.

oh my goooooooooood this is so good (The entire OST is incredible, actually)

Favorite spidey villain

I have always had a soft spot for Kraven, even before reading KLH. I find it odd how, avoiding reviving him, they made so many copycats, using offsprings and lovers he had. Even going as far as turning Alyosha Kravinov in the living image of his father.

Still, I think it wasn't necessary to bring him back, his suicide was such an impactful moment, and KHL one of the best Spider-Man stories ever, and I don't see him reaching that height again. But I have read some enjoyable stories with him ever since, like his fight with Venom (Flash Thompson, by Remender and Moore) and Grim Hunt was a cool story, though I think Kelly makes Spider-Man too brutal for my tastes in the climax, and art was great. I hope that Hunted ends up being an awesome story, I haven't check out Spencer's run yet, but I plan to do so in the future.

As much as I like Spectacular Spider-Man TV series, I hate that they make Kraven a humanoid lion. Actually, I hate anytime they do that to Kraven, period haha
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Spectacular made Kraven, one of my Top 5s, my least favorite villain while making Electro, my least favorite classic villain, my favorite. Funny how that works out.

From Amazing Spider-Man #15 (August 1964):

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    From Amazing Spider-Man #15 (August 1964):

This is the first Spider-Man comic my father ever bought, so I have a soft spot for it, given that I might not be a Spidey fan today if he hadn't!

Also, ROAD TO HUNTED is off to a great start, and I feel like it's going to be my favorite Spidey event in over a decade.

Arrow

While I'm not a fan of his return I did love Kraven's Last Hunt (it is one of my favorite Spider-Man stories of all time). The storyline took Kraven from goofy C-List wanna-be villain to A-List top-level threat.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    While I'm not a fan of his return I did love Kraven's Last Hunt (it is one of my favorite Spider-Man stories of all time). The storyline took Kraven from goofy C-List wanna-be villain to A-List top-level threat.
    I wasn't really sold on his return either. HUNTED might just change my mind. It's off to a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    As much as I like Spectacular Spider-Man TV series, I hate that they make Kraven a humanoid lion. Actually, I hate anytime they do that to Kraven, period haha
    Yeah, I thought the show had a good take on Kraven right up until they mutated him.