Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I agree with the sentiment that R rated movies in the 80's and early 90's were not specifically marketed towards kids, but there was an effort to take R rated content and modify them for kids, such as toys or cartoon shows.

Having said that, Terminator 2 was definitely the exception and there was a clear effort to market the movie to all ages despite its R rating.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Yeah the only ones I can think of kids might like are logan and Deadpool due to superheroes. I can't think of any kids would really care about today. Venom got away with a bit for pg-13. As for the 80s ands R films well films like T2 are things kids would like. T2 had a comic book like feel. Other R films I'm sure kids did not care about.

Also anyone have any of these? "He doesn't know how to use the 3 shells."

Robocop had a comic book feel and so did the Rambo sequels as well and Aliens as well with Predator

Extraordinary Member

Damn I never knew there was a Simon Phoenix toy lol. Might have to hunt that down. But I guess it's more accurate to say R-rated characters were marketed to kids through toys,cartoons etc, rather than the movies. I had an Alien xenomorph toy while only having seen the movies on T.V.

A few more toy ads.

There was a commando toy line! Didn't know that.

I remember getting T2, Robocop, and Aliens toys when I was 10ish.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I remember getting T2, Robocop, and Aliens toys when I was 10ish.
    I had a Robocop figure that came with the arm cannon from Robocop 3, and the leg opened up so you could holster his side arm. Same scale as the small GI Joes from around that time.

Mighty Member

[QUOTE=Gaastra;4195085]Yeah the only ones I can think of kids might like are logan and Deadpool due to superheroes. I can't think of any kids would really care about today. Venom got away with a bit for pg-13. As for the 80s ands R films well films like T2 are things kids would like. T2 had a comic book like feel. Other R films I'm sure kids did not care about.

Also anyone have any of these? "He doesn't know how to use the 3 shells."

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Well porky's did get a Atari 2600 game!

T2 was promoted to kids hands down. Arnold was on nick promoting it to kids. Nintendo power did a kids contest for it. They did comics, toys, games, even shirts. This was more or less a R rated kids movie!

Also the R rated police academy was such a hit with kids it tuned into a kids series by movie 5!
    Oh man i had some of those T2 toys when i was 10 besides backpack, lunchbox and all that.

Don't forget the R rated conan was a huge hit with kids to the point they had the made the second one pg. They had toys, comics and a kids book and records for the R rated conan.

Also found a video for the commando toys. They had a free kids comic! Missed these as a kid!

1994 cryptkeeper kids toys! Tales from the cypt had a kids cartoon and kids game show as well as kids aimed comics! really! The cartoon lasted three seasons!

Cartoon s1 intro.

The ALIEN line was a bit weird. Basically, they went with the concept from ALIEN 3 that the Alien copies DNA from it's host (also of course seen in the AVP movies), so you had a whole bunch of Aliens with animal attributes. They were actually pretty well designed by 90's standards.

The marines were a bit odd. Ripley basically leads them, and Hicks is part of the team although he doesn't seem to have acid scars of any kind. Bishop's fully repaired but is bald and wears sunglasses, Apone appears to have survived being cocooned and nuked, as well as Drake who seems to have survived getting half his face melted off (no damage there either!). The toys also came with small Dark Horse comic books.

They do refer a few times to the Archeron inciddent, so I guess it's kind of some weird alternate universe where they somehow managed to mostly survive. They made Vasquez and Hudson figures too but I don't think they came with comics.

On the video game side it's worth mentioning that Mortal Kombat got a 90's cartoon too, but it was ridicously toned down as well, with the characters saying "Kombat time!" as the catchphrase.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth