Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    but nobody is saying that we are going to impose our headcanon on anyone. It's personal. It's what makes me happy. If others disagree, that's fine. They have their own ideas and I don't have to share them.
    As I said, fictional universes work on a basis of fact established by the author/owner of that universe. And the thing about a fact is it does not care about opinions or what you think should be right.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Headcanoning shared fictional universes does not work.
    The shared fictional universes put forth by Marvel and DC don't work to begin with. Or at least have gotten so unwieldy and contradictory that they no longer work.

BANNED

Fictional universes work on the facts of the universe established by the authors of the universe/those in charge of the universe. Ignoring that because you don't like something about the universe is as deluded as saying the sky is purple and green because you don't like that it is blue.
    If it inevitably gets results it isn't "delusional" behaviour, it's a reward for exhibiting functioning critical faculties. Not a lot of people have that in the real world, hence we get a plethora of mediocrity that the machine keeps pumping out because nobody challenges it or prefers that it do better.

I don't want to sound like a hippy here, but this is a much more creative place when one resists the machine.

As I said, fictional universes work on a basis of fact established by the author/owner of that universe. And the thing about a fact is it does not care about opinions or what you think should be right.
    DC's facts are frequently altered. Why should we accept them when they change constantly?
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-12-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I could say that in my mind, the sky is purple and green. I will then tell everyone I know that the sky is purple and green and when they say "The sky is blue" I will tell them "well that's just my headcanon. In my mind, the sky is purple and green"

Fictional universes work on the facts of the universe established by the authors of the universe/those in charge of the universe. Ignoring that because you don't like something about the universe is as deluded as saying the sky is purple and green because you don't like that it is blue.
    And what happens when the official version isn't stable? What happens if it gets rebooted every five years or so? At what point is the problem on DC's end? Continuity is built on the idea that you get attached to certain characters. But if they keep changing the characters all the time, what is there to get attached to? The version of Superman that exists in the comics today isn't the same one that existed five years ago. Are readers just supposed to pretend the other version didn't exist?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The shared fictional universes put forth by Marvel and DC don't work to begin with. Or at least have gotten so unwieldy and contradictory that they no longer work.
    Events from a story will be referenced/ have consequences in the stories after and will be referenced in stories throughout the universe. Saying that a story/event did not happen because you did not like it completely destroys this.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    If it inevitably gets results it isn't "delusional" behaviour, it's a reward for exhibiting functioning critical faculties. Not a lot of people have that in the real world, hence we get a plethora of mediocrity that the machine keeps pumping out because nobody challenges it or prefers that it do better.

I don't want to sound like a hippy here, but this is a much more creative place when one resists the machine. [

DC's facts are frequently altered. Why should we accept them when they change constantly

Functioning critical faculties are used to say if something is good/bad and why. Not "I did not like this so it did not happen". That's delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    And what happens when the official version isn't stable? What happens if it gets rebooted every five years or so? At what point is the problem on DC's end? Continuity is built on the idea that you get attached to certain characters. But if they keep changing the characters all the time, what is there to get attached to? The version of Superman that exists in the comics today isn't the same one that existed five years ago. Are readers just supposed to pretend the other version didn't exist?
    It's DC's universe so they can change it when they want. Having a problem with that is on you and frankly does not matter.

So you just accept everything others tell you?

It's DC's universe so they can change it when they want. Having a problem with that is on you and frankly does not matter.
    It does matter when people stop buying what they want to sell.

BANNED

Except when sales plummet.

Bendis' run isn't as hot in sales as you imagine. DC is undergoing some reshuffling lately. People are losing their jobs. This stuff matters.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    So you just accept everything others tell you?
    I don't know how you got this from my comment

It does matter when people stop buying what they want to sell.
    We don't have the numbers of people who stopped reading because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Except when sales plummet.

Bendis' run isn't as hot in sales as you imagine. DC is undergoing some reshuffling lately. People are losing their jobs. This stuff matters.

Do you have any evidence that ties sales and the reshuffling to DC changing its canon?

Extraordinary Member

I use headcanon all the time. It enhances my comic reading experience. Once I read a comic, no one can tell me how I choose to interpret it (and good luck trying). Like that of the actual DC and Marvel universes, it's ever fluctuating.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Events from a story will be referenced/ have consequences in the stories after and will be referenced in stories throughout the universe. Saying that a story/event did not happen because you did not like it completely destroys this.
    There will be references and consequences until they decide to ignore them or reboot them away, so none of it matters in the long run anyway. It's really that simple, we don't have a coherent DC universe with a single through line from its inception until now. If someone reads takes on characters from various eras and picks and chooses what they like, it's not the same as embracing full delusion and saying "the stuff I dislike was never published/how I wish things to be is totally how it is and always was!" Nobody here is saying that.

Astonishing Member

Headcanons are just fanfiction imo. I guess what makes them viable in cape comics is the fact that most of the creators for the characters and concepts are long dead now so there is no specific word of god anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There will be references and consequences until they decide to ignore them or reboot them away, so none of it matters in the long run anyway. It's really that simple, we don't have a coherent DC universe with a single through line from its inception until now. If someone reads takes on characters from various eras and picks and chooses what they like, it's not the same as embracing full delusion and saying "the stuff I dislike was never published/how I wish things to be is totally how it is and always was!" Nobody here is saying that.

Even when they change things, there are still things that happen, are referenced and still have consequences. There are many fans who have that fully delusional view of headcanon.