Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default If Mera is suppose to be in the Justice League, then WHY doesn't DC show it more

If Mera is suppose to be Aquaman's replacement in the Justice League, then why doesn't DC make a mini-series showcasing her learning to work with other members of the team ?

I mean it Worked when Thor was "replaced" after he lost his hammer at Marvel. So why Doesn't DC do the same thing and at least showcase more FEMALE THEME titles in their line up ?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Totally.

In the JL annual, she was literally in 3 panels.

I wish they'd do another MERA mini. Especially with the main AQUAMAN title being off on some weird tangent and pushing her off to the side. Give her a mini for the time being, where she runs Atlantis and has adventures with the Justice League!

This is her 2nd go around. She was in the league when Arthur was trapped in Atlantis too.

I don't know if a mini is needed but letting her do something on the team wold be nice.

Mighty Member

Mera is a nice addition to the Justice League. I hope she stays a while because in my opinion she brings way more to the Justice League than Arthur. This is coming from someone who really likes Aquaman.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    If Mera is suppose to be Aquaman's replacement in the Justice League, then why doesn't DC make a mini-series showcasing her learning to work with other members of the team ?

I mean it Worked when Thor was "replaced" after he lost his hammer at Marvel. So why Doesn't DC do the same thing and at least showcase more FEMALE THEME titles in their line up ?
    My first instinct is to look at sales. I enjoyed the run, I even got it in trade afterwards despite getting all six issues, but I imagine it didn't make the biggest splash.

I deeply apologize for the pun. Kind of.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Mera has a new Ink book coming out soon. If that sells like gangbusters, you'll see Mera in the League more prominently.

BANNED

I hate how DC put every slightly shining character in to Justice League... They did the same to Black Canary when Gail Simone made her an incredibly cool under Gail's pen, Black Canary was the Justice League leader back then. And then Gail quit Birds of Prey and next writer couldn't write Black Canary like her and where is she now ? DC threw her away like piece of garbage... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    I hate how DC put every slightly shining character in to Justice League... They did the same to Black Canary when Gail Simone made her an incredibly cool under Gail's pen, Black Canary was the Justice League leader back then. And then Gail quit Birds of Prey and next writer couldn't write Black Canary like her and where is she now ? DC threw her away like piece of garbage... :/
    I like Black Canary on the JL. I don't care for her being so heavily tied to Green Arrow's world.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    My first instinct is to look at sales. I enjoyed the run, I even got it in trade afterwards despite getting all six issues, but I imagine it didn't make the biggest splash.

To be fair, that mini (while really good) was very much a part of the storyline going through Aquaman's world at the time.

Personally I like Mera and Arthur being co-leads in AQUAMAN, since they are co-leads in life, but if they're not going to use her in the main book I'd very much like to see a book showcasing what she's up to. The perfect balance would be to have it tie into what Aquaman is up to, but also let it be it's own thing.

It's lame that the book has Arthur lost again so soon after he was lost in the Atlantean Civil War, but Mera shouldn't suffer for it too.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-11-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Black Canary was already a league member in the Satellite Era, and Justice League: Year One made her even into a founding member, way before Gaile Simones Run of Birds of Prey (btw. why is every one giving her the credit for BoP, Dixon was the one who created the team and wrote the first 50 issues).

Has Mera ever even appeared in a Justice League book? I can't remember ever seeing her even as a guest.

I've loved this run of Justice League but I found Drowned Earth to be sort of a dud, with the one shining light being Mera joining the team. I was looking forward to seeing her actually appear in the book but it's been several issues now and it's like they forgot they even added her. I usually only post about things I'm loving at DC here since, to me, that's the purpose of a fan site and the constant negativity only brings me down. I'm not typically interested in spending time writing or reading about books I don't like or have complaints about. Life is too short and there's too much else to do. But I am genuinely disappointed that in an otherwise great JL run so far, Mera's been almost entirely forgotten since she joined the team. Would be great to see her given much more focus going forward.

Bored at 3 am is a favorite poster to me because they also mostly post about what they're enjoying but I have to disagree about needing Ink book to do well for her to get some run. One of my favorite things about JL(A) historically is that it gives B-list/C-list characters a place to shine. I loved it when GA/BC/Atom, etc were in almost every issue during the Satellite run. Mera's already hot from the movie and it's not like Hawkgirl (whom I love but who isn't a bigger name than Mera) isn't getting a lot of focus.

It really seems like Snyder, et al, wanted to add Mera to the team but didn't have any plan to use her on it. Hoping I'm wrong and she's got some good stuff coming up. Loving this run so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Has Mera ever even appeared in a Justice League book? I can't remember ever seeing her even as a guest.
    She has, yes. Going way back she has, but almost always as a guest/supporting Aquaman character. She's well overdue for a genuine spotlight in Justice League.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    She has, yes. Going way back she has, but almost always as a guest/supporting Aquaman character. She's well overdue for a genuine spotlight in Justice League.
    Thank you.

I definitely agree Mera needs to be more prominent in general, but specifically in Justice League.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

From Amazon.com (and yes this does change from time to time but it help gauge some type of sales)

Mera: Queen of Atlantis
    #186 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > DC
    #609 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

#1966 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Comics, Manga & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes
    #5825 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

Mera: Tidebreaker (not out yet preorders only)
    #58 in Books > Teens > Literature & Fiction > Comics & Graphic Novels > Media Tie-Ins
    #252 in Books > Teens > Literature & Fiction > Comics & Graphic Novels > Superheroes
    #466 in Books > Children's Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Media Tie-In

I would say all these numbers are good. ESPECIALLY the ones for teens. If that books does what Jason Reynolds's Mile Morales book is STILL doing now (a constant top seller)-Dc got a winner.

Compared to some of the Marvel females-she is doing VERY well.

So in all truth there is NO excuse for DC not doing more with her.