Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Dont like that lady and I'm not sure why. Cant watch the videos right now can someone just summarize how people feel about this movie? I know early reviews has alot if praise except for Jafaar.

And now we are getting bad or it's ok reviews and well as loved it reviews. So it's getting mixed reactions. RT score 59#

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/aladdin

More reviews (good and bad)

Alot of the straight negative reviews I see on RT use words like Pointless and Not neccessary. Maybe Disney should reimagine these storys for lielve action. I mean Jungle Book has a couple shot from the cartoon but does its own thing. Maleficent is a real reimagining. Beauty and the Beast tried to be mostly a remake and had a mixed reaction(I hated it). This seems to be in the same boat. Though people who's reviews I usually listien too seem to really like this movie. A couple loved it, some like DT thought it was fun but had alot of issues. Seems like Human form Genie and Jasmine are what really shine in this movie. If seen alot of people say Aladdin is a mixed bag. When hes working off people like Will Smith hes real engaging and charming. But sometimes with lesser actors or in scenes by himself hes just flat. Still think that kid gonna be a star.

Oo another big complaint from the negative reviews was that the movie looks like an expensive Play in alot of set pieces. Ima go see it this weekend and then I'll give my opinion. But I dont have issues with these live action remakes so I'm taking less baggage in then some others I suppose.

Jasmine got a whole character arc and new songs and a new theme and became sultan at the end.

That's the best area to improve on.

The movie was colorful, the music was amazing, the free-running stunts were fantastic, and the dance numbers were amazing.

This is what I would want from a live action remake ... keep the beats but add more.

And the genie and handmaiden love story was awesome. Both actor's crushed it. Will did a great Genie and never once did I think about Robin till the end of the movie. I think Robin would've loved Will's performance.

I think the movie, like Captain Marvel, was nothing like the trailers. In fact, I think the trailer damaged how good it was.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 05-24-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4514&p=.htm

FRIDAY AM UPDATE: Disney's Aladdin delivered $7 million in Thursday evening previews beginning at 6PM and including select fan events that started at 5PM. The performance is well ahead of the $4.2 million Maleficent brought in ahead of a $69 million three-day debut as well as the $2.3 million for Cinderella, which opened with $67.8 million in its first three days. The performance is also ahead of the $5.5 million Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales brought in from preview showings ahead of a $78 million Memorial Day weekend four-day opening.
    We'll take a closer look at things tomorrow morning once Friday estimates come in. For now you can check out our weekend preview below.

Aladdin off to a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Jasmine got a whole character arc and new songs and a new theme and became sultan at the end.

That's the best area to improve on.
    It was a great area to improve upon. Some people might wonder where this whole character arc stems from, but for me, it wasn't a surprise at all. The roots of it where very apparent in the animated movie as well as the TV series. Jasmine becoming sultan felt natural honestly.

Now some people have been saying that Jasmine was a better character than Alaadin. For me, I didn't feel that way. Alaadin just had a different arc. His true self was bold, daring, and kind-hearted, only to be obscured when he tried to be something he wasn't (totally love that jams scene ). When he was himself he was amazing and he still pulled off the classic trick against Jafar. Plus, his slight of hand, street rat thievery, fantastic!

Additionally, out of all of the characters, he was the only man who completely supported Jasmine being the sultan. He showed her a world outside of her palace and helped to give a form to her principles. To me, they were both cool. Jasmine was slightly better acted, but Alaadin still held his own.

The movie was colorful, the music was amazing, the free-running stunts were fantastic, and the dance numbers were amazing.
    I felt these areas could have been better. The colors and music were cool, but they lacked that epicness. Prince Ali's intro was nice, but it didn't feel epic. I really wanted to see the free running, and it was there, but it didn't feel as dynamic as it could have been. I liked the clothing and sets. There seemed to be a lot of authenticity in them. As a history and world culture teacher, I felt that Agrabha was reminisicent of a Istanbul or a port city along the Arabian peninsula. Ultimately though, maybe we could have seen more street scenes and the lives of the ordinary people.

And the genie and handmaiden love story was awesome. Both actor's crushed it. Will did a great Genie and never once did I think about Robin till the end of the movie. I think Robin would've loved Will's performance.
    The Will Smith and Nasim Pedrad pairing was a welcome addition to the story. Did Nasim steal every scene as some websites say? Eh, not everyone, but I liked her little quip towards the end. Shows her SNL training.

Ultimately, I enjoyed the movie. The pacing was a little fast and I wish there were more moments were the story breathed a little bit more. I wish it was a bit more epic in scope. But I was still entertained in the end. Definitely a worthwhile movie!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Just got back from watching it. Liked it more then Jungle book and had a blast watching it. Theres some weird stuff like some of the extras who would get one line sounded like they were in a community play the way they over said stuff. Mostly just one of the Guards and the guy who the kids stole the bread from. All the leads were great, Jafaar was fine I guess but nothing special. Actually really liked Will Smith in this.

I really liked it, especially Will Smith as Genie. I want to see one more time soon.

Considering this is a live action remake of a Disney classic and we all know or thought we knew the story this film was pretty great.

I’m honestly at the point where I can’t trust reviews and just need to see things I like to make my own opinion
    The J-man

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4515&p=.htm

Disney's Aladdin topped the weekend with an impressive debut, delivering over $85 million for the three-day and is expected to top $100 million for the four-day, Memorial Day holiday weekend. Meanwhile, fellow newcomers Brightburn and Booksmart finished more in line with studio expectations than Mojo's aggressive pre-weekend forecast and Avengers: Endgame will become only the second film ever to top $800 million at the domestic box office by the end of the long holiday weekend.
    With an estimated $86.1 million, Disney's Aladdin topped the Memorial Day three-day weekend box office, besting the three-day opening for the studio's Solo: A Star Wars Story last year. For Disney this is something of a big win considering the studio's live action properties, outside of the Marvel Universe, have struggled for some time now. Disney anticipates the reportedly $180+ million production will top $105 million for the four-day weekend, though others expect that total to go even higher, targeting a four-day debut over $110 million, which would be enough to make it one of the top five Memorial Day opening of all-time. Aladdin received an "A" CinemaScore from opening day audiences while playing to a crowd that was 54% female with 54% of the audience coming in aged 25 or older.
    Internationally, Aladdin debuted in every major market except for Japan, where the film will open on June 7, and delivered an estimated $121 million for a global debut topping $207 million for the three-day weekend. The film's top market this weekend was China where it opened with $18.7 million followed by Mexico ($9.2m), UK ($8.4m), Italy ($6.6m), Korea ($6.5m), Russia ($6.4m), Australia ($5.4m), Indonesia ($4.9m), Spain ($4.8m), Brazil ($4.6m), France ($3.8m), Germany ($3.6m) and Philippines ($3.4m).
    Aladdin is killing it at the box office.