Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Aladdin Live action Trailer with Smurf Will!

Didn't care for it. It just feels off. Genie needs to be all cg. He looks like a smurf in the trailer. Can't get past the face. They couldn't have gave him the genies face? Genie didn't look like robin in the cartoon so why make him look like will here? In human form that's fine but he needs to look like the genie in his cg form and he looks like will in smurf paint.

Jafars voice is a little to high pitched. The cave is cheap and not alive like the old version and it just feels more like a stage play then a big budget movie.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 02-11-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Oof! That is a lot of dislikes. I didn't think it was great either, but surely it wasn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

Didn't care it. It just feels off. Genie needs to be all cg. He looks like a smurf in the trailer. Can't get past the face. They couldn't have gave him the genies face? Genie didn't look like robin in the cartoon so why make him look like will here? In human form that's fine but he needs to look like the genie in his cg form and he looks like will in smurf paint.

Jafars voice is a little to high pitched. The cave is cheap and not alive like the old version and it just feels more like a stage play then a big budget movie.
    Jafar didn't wow me.

But I think it's a given if Will Smith is playing the genie, the genie should look like Will Smith. As far as I know he's the biggest actor on the movie by far, and there will likely be plenty of people going to see it because of him. So having Genie both look and sound like him just makes sense.

EH, is that will smith? Why did I think of Robin Williams.

Genie should look like genie. As a youtuber said in a reaction video I just watched. "it's not turning smith turning into the genie, it's genie getting turned into will smith."

There is no reason not to give him the classic genies face. As someone in the comments said he looks like the fish from sharktale not genie. We are here to see genie not smith as a smurf.

Also the dislikes on the official trailer are nasty!

likes 19.695 dislikes 18,339!

Ouch!

It looks like the film will struggle. So many dislikes already? Its almost like its divisive before release. Now a trailer is a foolish means to gauge future success. But i see the film has its detractors before release.

I loved the music. If you are doing nostalgia go all in. Aladdin series was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid. Thumbs up to that. Alaaddin and Jasmine look good. I am not sure about their acting though. Abu looks fine.

Zafar appeared boring. Cgi looked poor. All in all not a good trailer imo.

As to Will Smith i keep my fingers crossed. He looked better then i imagined. Cgi was the way to go. I was imagining blue painted Will Smith. That would have looked horrible. In my opinion the best option was to ditch the blue color and the way he looked in the magazine should have been the main form of genie.

But Genie was blue? Fans would cry. I would say sorry. Not everything translates well to the big screen.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-11-2019 at 07:07 AM.

But Genie was blue? Fans would cry. I would say sorry. Not everything translates well to the big screen.
    I am groot. Nuff said.

Update on likes/ dislikes for the trailer.

Likes 28,475 dislikes 34,969

Dislikes now beats the likes!

Edit--did a search and no other topic popped up but looks like someone did have one before so could someone merge the threads?
    Last edited by Gaastra; 02-11-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Not sure I really get all the hate. I mean, it's basically just a teaser; hardly any lines, stuff way out of context, there's not much to go on.

I agree that Jafar did seem kinda flat, but it was only couple lines, so not a lot to go on. The cave looked fine for a new twist on it (and really glad Frank Welker is playing it again). Nothing seemed really bad. I'm actually looking forward to this.

I would like to see more clips and whatnot of the cast to get a better feel for that. The only one besides Will Smith I recognize is Naomi Scott (Jasmine), from the last Power Rangers movie. She was good in that, so I'm hopeful about her here. In any event, she does look like the character.

Not sure I really get the hate for Will Smith as the Genie; I don't think the original cartoon design would fit into a live action take on the story (too Roger Rabbit-like) and it appears he won't be blue all the time (wonder how that plays out?). Like with Jafar, he doesn't get enough screen time to establish what kind of character he is, but I hope its a different take then Robin Williams was in the original.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I am very underwhelmed by Jafar.

Genie's probably the only reason why the clip is getting that many dislikes. Jafar less so, but even then it's a much more tepid response than Genie's been getting.

For me personally, just the voice (even before Genie popped up) was enough to take me out of it. Yes, trailers can be immersive (the greatest trailers really are, and that's how they leave you wanting more), but Smith's iconic voice and accent really contrast to the more authentic Mid East/Arabic accents used elsewhere in the movie.

By contrast with the original cartoon, every major (good) character had an American accent, so Genie fit right in there.

BANNED

It looks much more worse than LION KING.

Ultimate Member

Didn’t like this teaser. At all.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

On the plus side, the actress playing Jasmine is fine af!

Astonishing Member

It's fine. I don't see any big problems with it. I don't mind the blue. I don't mind the CGI. I don't mind Will Smith.

Of course, I'm not as attached to the original movie as I was.

Honestly, I just want to watch a new adaptation of the "Aladdin and his Wonderful Lamp" story. And Disney is the only studio that has shown that it can adapt (or readapt) old stories without feeling the need to reinvent the goddamn wheel every time.