Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Saw it yesterday. Not bad. The awful trailers made the film look worse then it was. Family had fun watching it. Aladdin still looked to old for the role but he was ok in the film. jasmine and genie stole the film. Genie's cg still looked bad in parts but will's acting made up for it and happy to report he did act like classic genie in parts of the film doing a few fourth wall gags classic genie would do. Jafar was the worst part like many have said. He was a huge letdown after the great animated one and iago other then one scene was just lame compared to the classic one. The songs were much better on the big screen then in a audio video and friend like me was much better in the real movie then that audio clip.

Family loved it and I did to so good job Disney. The changes in the plot were mixed to me. Liked that they added more scenes to the side cast (but at the cost of iago who loses most of his scenes) but the end fight sucked and the older one was better. Jafar didn't even transform into his snake form. It was a huge letdown but the rest was good. My review is it's better then the live action batb. Fun family film with some stuff holding it back. Not the best but not the worst. Worth a matinee showing with the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Saw it yesterday. Not bad. The awful trailers made the film look worse then it was. Family had fun watching it. Aladdin still looked to old for the role but he was ok in the film. jasmine and genie stole the film. Genie's cg still looked bad in parts but will's acting made up for it and happy to report he did act like classic genie in parts of the film doing a few fourth wall gags classic genie would do. Jafar was the worst part like many have said. He was a huge letdown after the great animated one and iago other then one scene was just lame compared to the classic one. The songs were much better on the big screen then in a audio video and friend like me was much better in the real movie then that audio clip.

Family loved it and I did to so good job Disney. The changes in the plot were mixed to me. Liked that they added more scenes to the side cast (but at the cost of iago who loses most of his scenes) but the end fight sucked and the older one was better. Jafar didn't even transform into his snake form. It was a huge letdown but the rest was good. My review is it's better then the live action batb. Fun family film with some stuff holding it back. Not the best but not the worst. Worth a matinee showing with the family.
    I rather enjoyed the new ending. The giant slugfest with Aladdin getting some shots in felt really out of place in the cartoon. This one kept the tone nice and consistent.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Aladdin is killing it at the box office.
    I thought all the YouTuber videos claiming we don't "need more Disney remakes" spoke for everyone, though.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I thought all the YouTuber videos claiming we don't "need more Disney remakes" spoke for everyone, though.
    Yep, I have seen them being pushed on my recommendation but anyway the Captain Marvel hate videos is the worse part of my viewing experience on YouTube (it's never-ending ) Ppl turned on Will Smith a long time ago so i was expecting the hate.

I've seen it twice now. I really enjoy it, and I want a sequel.

For me the best parts are the main 3: Aladdin, Jasmine and the Genie. There is lots of chemistry going on, IMO. If Aladdin and Jasmine had had no believable romantic chemistry, this film would have failed. But they do, and they look well together. I don't get the dislike for Mena as Aladdin, for me he is very solid. He feels like a real person not a cartoon. Same with Jasmine. She got the best storyline and that's fine with me, because these days girls can also be heroic and powerful and strong. I'm so glad Aladdin supported her.

Another important key for this film success is well the Genie, and Will Smith did not fail, but I knew he could knock it out of the park and he did. The writing was very good overall with some updates for modern audiences. Plus the music, the songs, the whole production and look of the film was very good. It deserves to be loved. People applauded in my second viewing.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 05-29-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Really liked the movie, which was a relief, considering how I grew up watching the original. Could've been better and maybe made a few more changes from the original, but an overall good cast (although Jafar never really worked the way I think he was supposed to) and made some worthwhile additions to the new story (Jasmine getting more of a story arc made for a stronger film and character, and the servant girl was a riot).

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    Yep, I have seen them being pushed on my recommendation but anyway the Captain Marvel hate videos is the worse part of my viewing experience on YouTube (it's never-ending ) Ppl turned on Will Smith a long time ago so i was expecting the hate.
    Ever consider flagging videos that break the platform's rules? Nothing changes if those who can do something about stay silent. (Agree that the worst parts of fandoms have made YouTube their personal cesspit.)

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I've seen it twice now. I really enjoy it, and I want a sequel.
    What about? The original did get sequels and it would be fun to see this iteration of the characters again, but I have to admit I'm not really sure what else they could do. (Return of Jafar could be adapted or reimagined, but seeing how Jafar was the weak spot of the film and Iago is too different to work in the story, I don't know how well that would go.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Really liked the movie, which was a relief, considering how I grew up watching the original. Could've been better and maybe made a few more changes from the original, but an overall good cast (although Jafar never really worked the way I think he was supposed to) and made some worthwhile additions to the new story (Jasmine getting more of a story arc made for a stronger film and character, and the servant girl was a riot).

Ever consider flagging videos that break the platform's rules? Nothing changes if those who can do something about stay silent. (Agree that the worst parts of fandoms have made YouTube their personal cesspit.)

What about? The original did get sequels and it would be fun to see this iteration of the characters again, but I have to admit I'm not really sure what else they could do. (Return of Jafar could be adapted or reimagined, but seeing how Jafar was the weak spot of the film and Iago is too different to work in the story, I don't know how well that would go.)
    I wouldnt mind them adapting the last movie with some heavy changes. Aladdin's dad is still alive and leads the 40 thieves. Basically keep that part and make the rest an original story.

As far as straight to video sequels Lion King 2 was my favorite. So if it's a hit I'd love them to include Kofu in a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I wouldnt mind them adapting the last movie with some heavy changes. Aladdin's dad is still alive and leads the 40 thieves. Basically keep that part and make the rest an original story.
    Never saw that third movie, so I can't comment, although I'm not sure I ever needed to know what happened to his dad.

As far as straight to video sequels Lion King 2 was my favorite. So if it's a hit I'd love them to include Kofu in a sequel.
    Thought it was okay when it first came out, but have to say Lion King was one of those movies that I think should've been a one and done. But that's me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Never saw that third movie, so I can't comment, although I'm not sure I ever needed to know what happened to his dad.

Thought it was okay when it first came out, but have to say Lion King was one of those movies that I think should've been a one and done. But that's me.
    Basically the 40 thieves raid the Palace and try to steal some shit. Aladdin's dad is the King of Theives. I havent seen the movie since I was a child so that all I remember. That and he ends up choosing Aladdin over riches in the end. But yea been a long time. Genie kept some level of power in all the sequels so basically they would have to go way off script anyway. And Yea Jafar was not worth bringing back. The main 3 leads what made the movie work.

Also I loved the movie so I can overlook it but I wish they woulda made Genies powers and rules make more sense in this movie. He can Push Aladdin across a room and help him dance. But he cant just puppet his ass out the water when hes drowning without a wish. Also he can send Carpet to where Aladdin is. Also how fu***** fast does that carpet fly that they come back from the end of the world in 10mins? I didnt see any evidence that Genie opened another portal to bring them back and they seemed to be coming back from far away when Jasmine sees them coming.

Genie kept some level of power in all the sequels so basically they would have to go way off script anyway.
    The tv show also confirmed genie lost 90% of his powers when he was freed also.

That and he ends up choosing Aladdin over riches in the end.
    He choose and saves his son at the end but stays a thief. Just one who has more heart. Iago joins him at the end ( iago turned good in the return of jafar) and tells him "I like you, your a good man, but not to good."

Also I loved the movie so I can overlook it but I wish they woulda made Genies powers and rules make more sense in this movie. He can Push Aladdin across a room and help him dance. But he cant just puppet his ass out the water when hes drowning without a wish. Also he can send Carpet to where Aladdin is. Also how fu***** fast does that carpet fly that they come back from the end of the world in 10mins? I didnt see any evidence that Genie opened another portal to bring them back and they seemed to be coming back from far away when Jasmine sees them coming.
    It was inferred to be the mountains labeled on the map Jasmine uses to find Ababwa named, "Ends of the World." Which weren't that far away ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    It was inferred to be the mountains labeled on the map Jasmine uses to find Ababwa named, "Ends of the World." Which weren't that far away ...
    Ahh so the earth is tiny in Aladdin. Or they're known earth.

Ahh so the earth is tiny in Aladdin. Or they're known earth.
    There was also a crossover episode between Aladdin and Hercules.

And I remember a bit more about Aladdin and Prince of Thieves; beginning of the film, Aladdin and Jasmine were finally getting married (opening song actually had that for the title), and daddy dearest ruins it, but a good portion of the 40 Thieves were captured. Leaving only a handful with a malcontent 2nd in command (I think?) with a murderous disposition. I won't ruin the ending, but it was equal parts "Woah! That's incredible!" and "That's how he goes out? Holy crap!"

Extraordinary Member

I did feel the movie was bland until Will smith's genie showed up. He knocked it out the park ,clever ending and good supporting non-human actors. The monkey and the flying carpet were really good.