Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Basically the 40 thieves raid the Palace and try to steal some ****. Aladdin's dad is the King of Theives. I havent seen the movie since I was a child so that all I remember. That and he ends up choosing Aladdin over riches in the end. But yea been a long time.
    Sounds about right from the spoilers I've heard. I always did like Return of Jafar and what I saw of the TV show, but never really had the urge to watch that last movie.

Genie kept some level of power in all the sequels so basically they would have to go way off script anyway.
    Probably just as well. While you can't do animated Genie without his powers of any kind, they did have to bend over backwards to justify why he couldn't just snap his fingers and fix everything (from what I remember, he seemed dumber in the show then in the original movie).

And Yea Jafar was not worth bringing back. The main 3 leads what made the movie work.
    I will agree that Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott, and Will Smith where the MVPs of the film, but Jafar was given the plot hook at the end. Granted, so far as I know, there aren't plans for a sequel, and, much as I would be onboard for seeing this iteration of the characters again, I have to say I'm not sure we "need" a sequel.

Also I loved the movie so I can overlook it but I wish they woulda made Genies powers and rules make more sense in this movie. He can Push Aladdin across a room and help him dance. But he cant just puppet his ass out the water when hes drowning without a wish. Also he can send Carpet to where Aladdin is.
    I guess I assumed that in context the former didn't "count" as wishes (heck, the Genie offers him advice pretty much non-stop above and beyond what's needed for the wishes). Also worth noting that in the scene where Aladdin gets drunk on the power of the lamp, the Genie makes an offhand comment that he'd "broke the rules" for him, so maybe the extra stuff at the party wasn't quite kosher with the official rules. (Maybe the party stuff also somehow counted as part of the first wish? That tie-in novel has Aladdin successfully talking the Genie into manufacturing a fake kingdom after the fact under the argument that it should be considered an aspect of the "become a prince" wish.)

Edit: Now that I think of it, hadn't Aladdin already rubbed the lamp when the Genie found him? That would've locked the Genie into needing to grant a wish, per the wishing rules, while at the party he was already out of the lamp. Maybe that was was the difference, having started the wish process vs. not having started it?

Also how fu***** fast does that carpet fly that they come back from the end of the world in 10mins? I didnt see any evidence that Genie opened another portal to bring them back and they seemed to be coming back from far away when Jasmine sees them coming.
    IMHO, that's an "original sin" of the story, since the carpet works the same way in first film both during the "Whole New World" scene (the characters literally travel the Eurasian continent in one evening) and in Aladdin's escape from the icy "ends of the earth" to face Jafar in Agrabah for round two.

Incidentally, the authors of the tie-ins may have had similar thoughts about the carpet. The Far From Agrabah novel has Aladdin commenting that the carpet's magic includes being able to cover vast distances in a quick amount of time, while the junior novelization states that between agreeing to marry Jafar and the actual almost wedding, Jasmine was procrastinating big time to delay the event. Both ideas would work to explain the timetable we see in the movie.
    Last edited by WebLurker; 06-01-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Also I loved the movie so I can overlook it but I wish they woulda made Genies powers and rules make more sense in this movie. He can Push Aladdin across a room and help him dance. But he cant just puppet his ass out the water when hes drowning without a wish. Also he can send Carpet to where Aladdin is. Also how fu***** fast does that carpet fly that they come back from the end of the world in 10mins? I didnt see any evidence that Genie opened another portal to bring them back and they seemed to be coming back from far away when Jasmine sees them coming.
    The carpet was acting on it's own throughout the movie to help Aladdin not sure if genie sent him. Maybe have to watch again but the passage of time did seem like more than 10 mins when he got back.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    The carpet was acting on it's own throughout the movie to help Aladdin not sure if genie sent him. Maybe have to watch again but the passage of time did seem like more than 10 mins when he got back.
    Genie teleported the Carpet to the snow area where Aladdin was while Jafar was distracted.

Iono seemed like Jafar talked some **** for a couple minutes and then brought a dude to marry them. Didnt look like they left and then came back to that exact spot whole Aladdin was gone. I'm guessing 30mins tops in the movie time between Geneie sending Carpet and then them getting back

Yeah genie sending carpet off was a huge no no. You would need a wish for that. In the animated film carpet flies into the storm sending Aladdin away and that is why he is there. Also carpet got back real fast in the animated film also. The tv show had carpet going all around world at times and the Hercules crossover even had him fly Aladdin to the underworld to fight hades!

Probably just as well. While you can't do animated Genie without his powers of any kind, they did have to bend over backwards to justify why he couldn't just snap his fingers and fix everything (from what I remember, he seemed dumber in the show then in the original movie).
    The tv confirmed genie lost 90% of his powers when he was set free. That's why jafar beat him in return of jafar. This lead to some troubles in the show also when fighting really powerful bad guys or other genies.

I guess I assumed that in context the former didn't "count" as wishes (heck, the Genie offers him advice pretty much non-stop above and beyond what's needed for the wishes). Also worth noting that in the scene where Aladdin gets drunk on the power of the lamp, the Genie makes an offhand comment that he'd "broke the rules" for him, so maybe the extra stuff at the party wasn't quite kosher with the official rules. (Maybe the party stuff also somehow counted as part of the first wish? That tie-in novel has Aladdin successfully talking the Genie into manufacturing a fake kingdom after the fact under the argument that it should be considered an aspect of the "become a prince" wish.)
    I saw it as part of his prince wish. He wanted everyone to think he was a prince and genie was setting that up with the dancing and the map.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 06-02-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Aladdin is now part of the $billion club!

Niffleheim

I haven't yet watched the movie but Will Smith really did have the last laugh after the bad reaction to his casting to the bad genie CGI and the critic review.