Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I like going to see them to see what they go back to the text for. The Jungle Book remake arguably had more Kipling in it than the original.
    And the characters were more developed imo. Also they made Share Khan terrifying. Beauty and the Beast didnt add anything for me and the beast was inferior to the original

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Pass.

I don't see the need to remake their biggest hits, live action at that, to basically try and hit all the same beats, but in a less entertaining and quality way.

And yes, I've had the same problem with Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, etc. The live action versions just end up being pale imitations. And Will Smith just ends being pale.

Now, if they wanted to try their less successful films, like Black Cauldron, and fix the issues with them, I would be fine with that. But these remakes? Nah. I'll check out Shazam, How to Train Your Dragon, and Broly over these any day.
    The thing is, and it's hard to swallow, but for every one our age who will pass because it won't live up to the cartoon, there will be 5 kids who would easily take up that spot. Disney is really surgical (and cynical) in their marketing.

Agreed about less successful films, and especially pre-Disney Renaissance films, though. I was surprised that Pete's Dragon (a film I had completely forgotten about) was sort of the test bed for these remakes, even though the story was wildly different. Use this moment to boost up the canon rather than retreading popular ground.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Oof! That is a lot of dislikes. I didn't think it was great either, but surely it wasn't that bad.
    Indigo on Supergirl looked better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    This got posted on Instagram recently (click here if the image doesn't work on this post):

Attachment 78432

Pretty good translation of the red outfit from drawing to reality, not to mention that Naomi Scott wears it well. (Assuming that this isn't just some Photoshop stunt, in which case it's a darn good fake.)

Think of all the stills and publicity shots of the character for the new movie, this's the first one with Jasmine wearing midriff-bearing clothing, as opposed to the original movie where she wore nothing but that.
    The actress it too white. The thing about Jasmine was she was the first Disney princess to be a woman of color.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Indigo on Supergirl looked better than this.

The actress it too white. The thing about Jasmine was she was the first Disney princess to be a woman of color.
    She's half Indian. Disney did a casting call for Persian Actresses. Either no one turned up or they were terrible.

Trailer likes/ dislikes update--

Likes--52,744 Dislikes--83,901.

Ouch!

Honestly, I don't see why people are complaining so much. Will really doesn't look to bad to me, and it's not like we get a real good take on his character anyway. We see him for a few seconds. That's hardly enough for me to start screaming that it's the worst thing ever and Aladdin is ruined because of it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    And the characters were more developed imo. Also they made Share Khan terrifying. Beauty and the Beast didnt add anything for me and the beast was inferior to the original
    Beauty and the Beast was flawed, but they hooked me because they managed to work back in the theft of the rose. I know some would argue it was unnecessary, but it was arguably the most iconic part of the fairy tale.

I tend to take a broader view of this stuff. And viewing it less as "remakes" and more "readapting classic stories", Disney's actually doing a good job. Compared to other attempts by other studios like that recent Robin Hood film (or the one before it) or Guy Ritchie's King Arthur: Legend of the Sword which bomb with critics and audiences. Why? Like I said before, they're not trying to reinvent the wheel. None of the Disney films are "radical, edgy new takes". They go in and remind people of what they liked about these stories in the first place. This is one place where nostalgia is good, because it's the way to draw in audiences using a story they probably haven't even thought about in a long time.

With Aladdin, Lion King, and Mulan coming I'm torn on other I'd want to see. I think Pocahontas and Hercules are the Obvious choices. Problem with Hercules is that it takes a fat crap all over Greek mythology but from Disney stand point that had to. I mean they were making PG movies in the 90s they didnt want to mention that Zeus cheated on his wife with everyone in a rapey way alot of times. Hera making Hercules kills his family all that had to be changed I get it. But if they could make a beautiful looking version that visually looks like the classic but then changes the story beats I'd be happy. Maybe take Hera out of the story. She is irrelevant to Dosneys story, just say Zeus had a child with a mortal and pretend Hera dont exist. And then everything can stay the same except hades doesnt need to take Hercs God hood away he jsut doesnt have it but hades still wants him dead because of what the oracles told them.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 02-13-2019 at 01:35 AM.

Honestly, I don't see why people are complaining so much.

People are complaining about a sharktale genie that looks nothing like genie when we have a live action pokemon film with faithful cg pokemon, a jafar that sounds 15, cg that looks like it's from 1999, and we have had 4 trailers for dumbo yet Aladdin who comes out in less then THREE MONTHS has had two 1 min teasers with the second teaser half the stuff in the first one where the two main heroes don't talk at all and have not said a single word!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 02-13-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Honestly, I don't see why people are complaining so much. Will really doesn't look to bad to me, and it's not like we get a real good take on his character anyway. We see him for a few seconds. That's hardly enough for me to start screaming that it's the worst thing ever and Aladdin is ruined because of it.
    Yeah.

With Aladdin, Lion King, and Mulan coming I'm torn on other I'd want to see. I think Pocahontas and Hercules are the Obvious choices. Problem with Hercules is that it takes a fat crap all over Greek mythology but from Disney stand point that had to. I mean they were making PG movies in the 90s they didnt want to mention that Zeus cheated on his wife with everyone in a rapey way alot of times. Hera making Hercules kills his family all that had to be changed I get it. But if they could make a beautiful looking version that visually looks like the classic but then changes the story beats I'd be happy. Maybe take Hera out of the story. She is irrelevant to Dosneys story, just say Zeus had a child with a mortal and pretend Hera dont exist. And then everything can stay the same except hades doesnt need to take Hercs God hood away he jsut doesnt have it but hades still wants him dead because of what the oracles told them.
    Question is, would we want an adaptation of the movie, or an adaptation of the original myths that looks like the movie? Personally, I'd be paying for the former.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah.

Question is, would we want an adaptation of the movie, or an adaptation of the original myths that looks like the movie? Personally, I'd be paying for the former.
    I want an adaption of the Disney classic but something as simple as leaving Hera out fixes alot of stuff. Hercules can now be mortal without the news of a special formula and kidnapping. The rest can follow the original. But honestly I dont mind if they make it the same as the Disney version with hera as the mom. I use to when I was younger because I felt it was disrespectful to the source material but now I get why and that movie was a huge part of my childhood. I'd say Lion King,Toy Story,Goofy Movie, and Hercules were my favorites as a child.

I want an adaption of the Disney classic but something as simple as leaving Hera out fixes alot of stuff. Hercules can now be mortal without the news of a special formula and kidnapping. The rest can follow the original. But honestly I dont mind if they make it the same as the Disney version with hera as the mom. I use to when I was younger because I felt it was disrespectful to the source material but now I get why and that movie was a huge part of my childhood. I'd say Lion King,Toy Story,Goofy Movie, and Hercules were my favorites as a child.
    Lion King and Toy Story were important childhood stuff to me too (although I think I appreciate the former more as an adult now). Saw Goofy Movie, wasn't really my thing (even though Goofy is my favorite Mickey Mouse character). Didn't see Hercules until recently and was honestly disappointed with it. Found the lead really boring and the story uneven. Hades was easily the best part of it and Phil and some of the other minor characters were good, too. Mileage may vary.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

It's like they took one look at the long shadow cast by Robin Williams and decided they weren't even going to try.

I wanted to like it but i ended up feeling meh.

I prefer the more expiremental take of Malificient than a straight remake. Or a sequel that is vaguely canonical to the cartoon but in broad strokes.

Likes dislikes update--

likes 60,003 dislikes 95,337