Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What does it take to be an X-Man?

Names are important, they define us and help making us focused on the "mission"/crusade of our life.

Well, I was reflecting upon the title "X-Man".

Frankly, I never ever liked the "EXtra powers" meaning they gave at the beginning. I also never liked the "X-Gene" name, I would have called the mutation gene: "M-Gene". I don't like that the letter "X" could be so strictly associated to mutants, because it kinda detracts from the intrinsic value of the title "X-Man" IMHO.

To me, "X-Men" always stands for "Xavier's men". THE men of Xavier.

In the movieverse, the X-Men are teachers for Xavier's School (X1-X3), Xavier's assistants and bodyguards (X1-X3) and members of Xavier's special anti-terrorist strike force all rolled into one. In the DOFP bleak future of 2023, they are also independent fighters against the Sentinel holocaust. Shadowcat, Bishop, Blink, Warpath, Iceman, Colossus and Sunspot indeed form an X-Men team.

Another instance: in DOFP Logan, Beast and Quicksilver form a small cell of X-Men because they also act as Xavier's bodyguards, assistants and "operative agents" on the field, even without uniforms.

Finally, to me Caliban was also an X-Man in "Logan", because he was Xavier's bodyguard, assistant, ally and agent on the field.

I'm also wondering: are the members of X-Force, X-Factor, Excalibur and Exiles supposed to be X-Men? Are those teams supposed to be "Sister/Spin-Off" X-Men teams, or they are different beasts altogether and must be considered as such?

Let me know. I love this forum to the nth degree.
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 02-11-2019 at 05:37 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Names are important, they define us and help making us focused on the "mission"/crusade of our life.

Well, I was reflecting upon the title "X-Man".

Frankly, I never ever liked the "EXtra powers" meaning they gave at the beginning. I also never liked the "X-Gene" name, I would have called the mutation gene: "M-Gene". I don't like that the letter "X" could be so strictly associated to mutants, because it kinda detracts from the intrinsic value of the title "X-Man" IMHO.

In the movieverse, the X-Men are teachers for Xavier's School (X1-X3), Xavier's assistants and bodyguards (X1-X3) and members of Xavier's special anti-terrorist strike force all rolled into one. In the DOFP bleak future of 2023, they are also independent fighters against the Sentinel holocaust. Shadowcat, Bishop, Blink, Warpath, Iceman, Colossus and Sunspot indeed form an X-Men team.

Another instance: in DOFP Logan, Beast and Quicksilver form a small cell of X-Men because they also act as Xavier's bodyguards, assistants and "operative agents" on the field, even without uniforms.

Finally, to me Caliban was also an X-Man in "Logan", because he was Xavier's bodyguard, assistant, ally and agent on the field.

I'm also wondering: are the members of X-Force, X-Factor, Excalibur and Exiles supposed to be X-Men? Are those teams supposed to be "Sister/Spin-Off" X-Men teams, or they are different beasts altogether and must be considered as such?

Let me know. I love this forum to the nth degree.
    Sounds like fox-executives.

Extraordinary Member

I think X-Men are just people-usually mutants but not always-who work within the larger X-Men organization.

Teams like the ones you described are sometimes considered X-Men and sometimes aren't. In Uncanny X-Force, for example, Deadpool was never considered an X-Men even though he was in X-Force.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Sounds like fox-executives.
    Thank you, I'm a Fox Executive indeed.

X-Gene/Summers Blood/Claws/Being Caucasian/Being Written By Claremont/Writers Wanting To Bang You
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Cyclops saying "you are an X-man"

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    LOL... oh....... that thought never crossed my mind?

In order of priority: Like Glob Herman, Redheaded, A Summers, A half mutant with something else, a Sentient Robot/AI, A Wolverine or clone, a Brand New Character, B or C characrer from the 70s-90s that no one remembers, mutant that just arrived to the school, an x-student that has been there since forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think X-Men are just people-usually mutants but not always-who work within the larger X-Men organization.

Teams like the ones you described are sometimes considered X-Men and sometimes aren't. In Uncanny X-Force, for example, Deadpool was never considered an X-Men even though he was in X-Force.
    I like your definition. The support staff on a team are as vital as the actual players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    LOL... oh....... that thought never crossed my mind?
    I once read a story that was set when Xavier was just starting his school. He tells Moira MacTaggart he intends to call his students "X-Men." She grins and says, "Not too immodest, Charles!" He gets an astonished expression and says something like "I never thought of that!"

I read years ago that in the Philippines an xman is a male homosexual. Confirm or deny, anyone?
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post

I once read a story that was set when Xavier was just starting his school. He tells Moira MacTaggart he intends to call his students "X-Men." She grins and says, "Not too immodest, Charles!" He gets an astonished expression and says something like "I never thought of that!"
    Honestly, that is the definition for the cinematic X-Men. It is even more suggested at the end of "First Class".

Well I think you pretty much have it. Everything mutant has X in it, because of the longest time the only actual leaders in the field were Xavier and Moira.

By the way though, I find it a shame that your main source of X-Men knowledge comes from the movies. Personally I find them to be horrible bastard children of what the X-Men actually are. Not that they are all bad movies. Even all three of cartoon series did a better job I think if you don't want to read comic books.

Them being called X-Men because of the X-Gene is the best explanation for the name imo.

BANNED

It takes desire to do a task that'll never end

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GigaBalls View Post
    By the way though, I find it a shame that your main source of X-Men knowledge comes from the movies. .
    Well, NO. Not at all. I'm a HUGE/OBSESSED Claremont X-Men fan since I was a little kid.

Anyway, I still like the "Xavier's Agents" connotation better. It's more specifical.