Mighty Member

Default They're coming for our comic books!

I remember Comics Buyers Guide would stoke the fires of paranoia like that back in the day. These days, comics seem fully acceptable to the general public, so is the threat of drastic censorship by the authorities still viable, or just gamergate hysteria?

Invincible Member

I don't think that there's a major fear that the authorities are censoring comics. The narrative that making the rounds now is that the leftists are now running things and they are either ruining the business because they're forcing an extremist position into comics stories or that if there is censorship it's coming from SJWs censoring conservatives.

Someone in the Pennsylvania legislature is proposing a sin tax on M-rated video games . . . because of the violence and how they're causing school shootings.

So, there are still some knuckleheads out there.

I think most of the complaints about comics today are more geared toward how much they've taken over pop culture.

Mighty Member

And with the majority of comics sold in comics stores instead of drugstores and mom and pop stores, the people likely to get upset don't see any "objectionable material" . In fact, any complaints I've heard lately is coming from Superman fans about the dead Lois montage in the 100 page Superman book tha came out recently.