Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spideyparker75

Default Whats the real point of Secret Wars?

Stupid question number 13 from me I know but what really is the point of Secret Wars? Dont get me wrong Im loving the story but with news of potentially 50 plus new titles launching in its aftermath (and some seemingly during) I thought the idea from Marvels point of view was to reduce the amount of titles out there and streamline the releases?.

But it doesnt look that way. Is the idea ultimately to get people interested in the new titles? I know Im on board because I want to see what happens and who survives but is that the reason for it? Im only getting Spiderman and an Avengers and maybe a black Panther outside of Star Wars so everything else really doesnt interest me.

Im just curious. Is it to help in flagging sales of marvel titles but is this event a genuine attempt at something different?

Spectacular Member

I think it's meant to give writers more of a blank slate to do whatever they want and have more creative freedom (both during Secret Wars, and after). That's the impression I always got.

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by Jinjonator View Post
    I think it's meant to give writers more of a blank slate to do whatever they want and have more creative freedom (both during Secret Wars, and after). That's the impression I always got.
    Thats fair enough I suppose. Easier for writers to start afresh with a clean slate for established characters. Is this why, a lot of folks seem to have issues with new spins on these characters? It just feels like some folk arent happy about certain changes?

Thats something Im picking up on.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyparker75 View Post
    Thats fair enough I suppose. Easier for writers to start afresh with a clean slate for established characters. Is this why, a lot of folks seem to have issues with new spins on these characters? It just feels like some folk arent happy about certain changes?

Thats something Im picking up on.
    For me, being a long time Spider-Man fan, I don't like these changes. It gives me the feel of those 70's shows where they would recast(or Game of Thrones the Mountain actor) actors, sometimes even changing their race. I don't think the history of Marvel is dragging down writers. I believe the main focus is to pull in more money and to gather all the attention possible. It's like Marvel is flashing their "Under New Management" signs.

I cannot honestly believe the color of Peter and/or his marriage made him unwrittable. Sometimes a business needs to hire from outside their own 4 walls if writing is such a big issue for them.

They could always sell the comic rights for Spider-Man off to DC if post Secret Wars doesn't work out.

A few things.

- Hickman wanted a big multiversal problem that was practically unsolvable for his awesome Avengers run. This was originally going to be the last arc in his Avengers stuff but Marvel said they wanted it to be its own event mini-series. Reasons being:
    - Marvel wanted to homage the original Secret Wars because it was their first big event
    - Marvel wanted to revisit old stories like Days of Future Past, Future Imperfect, Civil War, etc as a greatest hits thing that are also homaged as well
    - Marvel wanted the Ultimate characters merged into the main Marvel because the UU was kind of dead but still had Miles, etc useable
    - Like said in previous posts, Marvel love the opportunity to have a new jump on point with #1s. This gives them a good opportunity to do that line-wide and even with that 8 months later thing to make it even more fresh.
    Perhaps other goals they want to accomplish too.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

There isn't.... oh wait, money.

... man, I'm negative today.

Smooth out the 'universal timeline' a bit, I suspect. I noticed some things like subtle retcons giving Wanda the ability to fly and better chaos magic abilities during a period that should be her 'silver age' incarnation, when she...was really quite useless to be frank. This was shown in Rage of Ultron, which is highly suspected to be post-SW (no denies to this from Marvel far as I know), and there's a brief flashback scene that shows her doing that.

So stuff like that. Bigger changes to the status quo or timelines? I don't know how far Marvel would go, they did tease new 'relationships' as part of the changes too.

Also something like a big clear up on villain status quo as well, so they bring back old 'big bads' and stuff like that. It's like a reset, but not.

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by ishikabe View Post
    For me, being a long time Spider-Man fan, I don't like these changes. It gives me the feel of those 70's shows where they would recast(or Game of Thrones the Mountain actor) actors, sometimes even changing their race. I don't think the history of Marvel is dragging down writers. I believe the main focus is to pull in more money and to gather all the attention possible. It's like Marvel is flashing their "Under New Management" signs.

I cannot honestly believe the color of Peter and/or his marriage made him unwrittable. Sometimes a business needs to hire from outside their own 4 walls if writing is such a big issue for them.

They could always sell the comic rights for Spider-Man off to DC if post Secret Wars doesn't work out.
    All Marvel really had to do was get the Star Wars liscence back and they would be golden lol. Look at the success of the main titles? Phenomenal sales of issue 1 and every issue since in the 6 digit figures. That may or may not last but its a case of so far so good and the Darth Vader title has been a brilliant read so far.

I really hope Spiderman isnt sold off to DC and I dont think they would do that. If he was gone completely then he couldnt be in any Avengers line up and hes a massive cash cow too with the live action movies (although they havent really hit on a winning formula since Toby Maquire imo).

I hope long term that venon, Doc Oc, Sandman hobgoblin etc return to the comics and gives us some good old fashioned showdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    There isn't.... oh wait, money.

... man, I'm negative today.
    There is such a thing as making money AND making good stories at the same time.

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    There is such a thing as making money AND making good stories at the same time.
    Yeah. Sadly sometimes they dont go hand in hand. Sometimes publicity and just the franchise name is enough to make money (the story can be rubbish and people will still go). Other times its a good story but doesnt get the success it deserves.

I think comic book successes especially in Marvel is based first and foremost on the characters involved, the writer and their history and the premise of the story. Its kinda how I decide what comics I want to invest in. It might not be how other folk do it though.

... then why continue following?

Spideyparker75

Entertainment is important of course, perhaps its all that matters ultimately.

But it still comes back to what the real point of this event is as far as Marvel are concerned? I still think they should streamline releases, slightly reduce their output and work as hard as they can to produce the best comics they can for all fans.

Easier said then done of course.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ishikabe View Post

One, the color of Peter's skin isn't making him "unwritable." He's still going to be around and, I would imagine, be playing a pretty central role in the Marvel U.

Two, Marvel wouldn't even sell the comic rights to the Two-Gun Kid to DC, never mind Spider-Man.

Also, I'd say that it's a safe bet that Marvel will have a good deal of success with their post-SW plans.

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

I think it's about less than people are making it. It's simply a plot device that will allow them to do all of the things they wanted to do but couldn't plausibly explain without SW. For example, they wanted to make Miles Morales the new Spider-Man. Sure, there are other ways they could have made that happen, but with SW, they can fix every plot hole, resurrect whatever characters they want, reset some characters etc. It's just a plot device to reorganizing everything into a cohesive unit with a fresh start to attract new readers.

BANNED

What's the real point?

SIXTY new #1s. You better believe that's making the accountants hard.