Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What will it take for Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers to be a great heroine ?

I don't like Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel as she is a character with a messed up backstory that very few chose to explore more often...A rough childhood, a airforce pilot, A security officer, a manager of a Magazine for the Daily Bugle, An Avenger, she was abused both Physically and mentally, She an alcoholic, she's half alien via Kree blood, ETC...

One has to wonder given her history...why cherry picked it and just go for the whole thing...of all the times she needed a shrink's help to just sort it all out.

However, I wonder what will it take for her to just be a good heroine in general if Marvel is truly trying to push her as such ?

What will it take for readers to accept Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers as one of Marvel's great heroines ?

What do you think as fans of the character and her history ?

life of captain marvel
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

She already is a great heroine to her fans. Everyone is different, so people will like and hate different characters.

There is no measurement for what makes a great character.

She doesn't even have to sell the best to be a great character or the "female lead". The only member of DC's Trinity who consistently sells in the top 10 is Batman, but that doesn't take away from Superman or Wonder Woman's status or being great characters.
    Last edited by Crimz; 02-12-2019 at 11:47 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

She will never be liked by everyone. No character is, except those that are just kind of... Idk, like Spider-Man? LOL. Carol is a complex character who's flawed, makes mistakes, doesn't play nice. There are always people who are gonna hate characters like that, especially when they're women. I don't want Carol to become a toned-down version of herself just so that casual fans can be more into her. Doesn't mean I want her being like on CWII all the time or anything, but if you've read her books and didn't like her? Well, then she's just not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I don't like Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel as she is a character with a messed up backstory that very few chose to explore more often...A rough childhood, a airforce pilot, A security officer, a manager of a Magazine for the Daily Bugle, An Avenger, she was abused both Physically and mentally, She an alcoholic, she's half alien via Kree blood, ETC...

One has to wonder given her history...why cherry picked it and just go for the whole thing...of all the times she needed a shrink's help to just sort it all out.

However, I wonder what will it take for her to just be a good heroine in general if Marvel is truly trying to push her as such ?

What will it take for readers to accept Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers as one of Marvel's great heroines ?

There is no replacement for good stories and character development. You can scream a character is great, put them in every book, and throw shade at other characters until you are blue in the face, but people won't accept it any other way.

There is at least ten years of evidence that backs that up.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member

I think it's simply time and stories. She can get there, it's just going to take time. This push for her hasn't really been that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post

She's already a GOOD heroine.

If they keep her in the spotlight, overtime with enough stories under her belt she can become a top heroine. She already has a movie and a solo book, so her star is clearly on the rise.

Since most other female heroes are only in team books, Carol is in a pretty good position to stand out.

Extraordinary Member

While "great" is subjective I think greatness as a comic book character will arrive when Marvel isn't afraid to portray her as the deeply flawed person she is.

They sometimes try, but it feels closer to a TV show where the hero or heroine is supposed to be really cool and their "flaw" is being too tough or caring too much.

But Chris Claremont's Carol was very flawed, and when Carol came back to prominence as an Avenger in the late '90s she made huge mistakes in her zeal to prove herself as a hero, and she has an authoritarian militaristic streak. None of these things make her less than a hero, they just make her a screwed-up Marvel hero.

I know why Marvel doesn't want to lean too hard into her flaws and low self-esteem, because they're trying to present her as a role model. But I have trouble identifying with role models; I like Carol because she makes so many mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    While "great" is subjective I think greatness as a comic book character will arrive when Marvel isn't afraid to portray her as the deeply flawed person she is.

They sometimes try, but it feels closer to a TV show where the hero or heroine is supposed to be really cool and their "flaw" is being too tough or caring too much.

But Chris Claremont's Carol was very flawed, and when Carol came back to prominence as an Avenger in the late '90s she made huge mistakes in her zeal to prove herself as a hero, and she has an authoritarian militaristic streak. None of these things make her less than a hero, they just make her a screwed-up Marvel hero.

I know why Marvel doesn't want to lean too hard into her flaws and low self-esteem, because they're trying to present her as a role model. But I have trouble identifying with role models; I like Carol because she makes so many mistakes.
    I can't believe a woman with a military background used to facing resistance and pushback from her contemporaries spearheaded a program based on crime detection that compromises civil rights in exchange for saving lives and neutralizing threats just 10 years after backing superhuman registration!

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Could anyone recommend a good Captain Marvel story to get into the character? I’m assuming one of the more recent series’, something with a beginning middle and end that can sum up the character?

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Could anyone recommend a good Captain Marvel story to get into the character? I’m assuming one of the more recent series’, something with a beginning middle and end that can sum up the character?
    Vida del Capitán Marvel (Life of Captain Marvel)

Capitán Marvel: El Enemigo Interno (Captain Marvel: The Enemy Within)

Guerra Civil: Señorita Marvel (Civil War: Miss Marvel)

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Vida del Capitán Marvel (Life of Captain Marvel)

Capitán Marvel: El Enemigo Interno (Captain Marvel: The Enemy Within)

Guerra Civil: Señorita Marvel (Civil War: Miss Marvel)
    Awesome. Thanks.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I can't believe a woman with a military background used to facing resistance and pushback from her contemporaries spearheaded a program based on crime detection that compromises civil rights in exchange for saving lives and neutralizing threats just 10 years after backing superhuman registration!
    She doesn't like killing civilians, she just doesn't hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    She doesn't like killing civilians, she just doesn't hate it.

Its almost like saving the planet means nothing if a few people die right ?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Its almost like saving the planet means nothing if a few people die right ?
    I'm not saying Carol is wrong here, but it's part of her character and her background that she doesn't have that Captain America-style "everyone gets saved or no one" attitude. She's a warrior and the mission comes first even if some innocent people die.

What I was trying and failing to get at, jokingly, is that her attitude is in some ways closer to Wolverine than a more conventional superhero like Cap or Superman, and that's what I find interesting about her.
    Last edited by gurkle; 02-12-2019 at 01:47 PM.