Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I'd like to think that Time and good stories are all that Carol needs. Eventually people will forget the push, or downplay the changes to her history.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    When you see how they handled her arrest and interrogation...it's not really surprising that she would go on to hate Superheroes (even though they broke her out), but I think making her crazy after that was just an attempt by Bendis to make Carol feel or look better from one of the biggest controversial decisions she made during Civil War II (especially since that is what finally led to all the heroes fighting).

It's pretty par for the course in how a bomb threat investigation would go in the USA. Just once you establish Ulysses as a reliable informant capable of giving probable cause for arrest warrant and exigent circumstances

The interrogation? First few steps of Reid's technique of interrogation (which can involve lying about evidence to make the suspect think they've got 'im and setting a narrative for why he/she may have committed the crime). Of course, they didn't jail her, they need solid evidence to charge her with the crime and can hold a suspect for 24 hours as pre-charge detention in terrorism cases

No wonder so many americans are ACAB.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 02-12-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I don't like Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel as she is a character with a messed up backstory that very few chose to explore more often...A rough childhood, a airforce pilot, A security officer, a manager of a Magazine for the Daily Bugle, An Avenger, she was abused both Physically and mentally, She an alcoholic, she's half alien via Kree blood, ETC...

One has to wonder given her history...why cherry picked it and just go for the whole thing...of all the times she needed a shrink's help to just sort it all out.

However, I wonder what will it take for her to just be a good heroine in general if Marvel is truly trying to push her as such ?

What will it take for readers to accept Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers as one of Marvel's great heroines ?

What do you think as fans of the character and her history ?
    I honestly could careless about comic book sales. In the big picture those sales are not stop guys like Black Panther, Static, Aquaman, Antman, the CW DC Universe or Ms Marvel from being popular.
    It's not even debatable that she is Marvel's great heroine.

Captain Marvel Vol. 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #651 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
    #2 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #2 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes
    #2 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Comics, Manga & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

No other female in comics has had a book stay a top seller on Amazon this long. Every time I go look at those numbers SHE is there. Not Wonder Woman, Mera, Batgirls, Harley or any other female (aside from Khan).

She is already there.

I think what hurts her from being the top overall is the women of DC have had a HUGE head start.
    I don't have to question the importance of Wonder Woman.

Supergirl was KILLED off and got bought back and since the 1990s had not left the public eye be it comic, cartoon or tv show.
    Batgirl too and we even saw her become Oracle.
    We won't talk Harley or Ivy or Catwoman or Mera or Starfire or Raven or Ms Martian.

All of the above already bring in what Carol does. Except links to a franchise that would warrant her constant use. Something the X-women, Sue Richards, Widow & Spider-Divas don't have an issue with.
    Nor is she a woman of color or Squirrel Girl.

Also she is hurt by being TOSSED into everything. Fans don't need her (along with a TON of other guys-HI Batman & Deadpool) in everything. Let her have her own book and be in Avengers. Focus on those being the best representation for her. Because that FORCES folks to read those books to see HER.

Wonder Woman has been liked that. When Perez started her book in 87-how long was that the ONLY place to read about her? Carol needs to do that for awhile.

The only thing holding big C back is her lack of guns. Let us add guns! And a sword!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The only thing holding big C back is her lack of guns. Let us add guns! And a sword!
    Sword? Please. A baseball bat is more her speed.

Extraordinary Member

God, that Spiderman panel really shows why the revamped costume is so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    To be fair, most things were in other books. Character depth, exploration of ideas, examination of what makes what they're doing good or bad, reactions, fallouts... none of that was in the event.

It's kind of why Civil War 2: Dream Drop Distance is a load of crap... beyond it just being a tool to launch new projects and story arcs with.

As for Carol, I like her but pretty much all of her recent series are just mediocre nothing to crap. Even Life of Captain Marvel, this recent storyline was garbage as well because it felt more like a tool just retcon everything, kill her mom off after a huge relevation for no good damn reason, and accidentally say that Carol is more genetically inclined to be a hero and interested in space than naturally wanting to do it.

If you want something decent to best show Carol, you're best really Kelly Sue's work and even then, I found most of it forgettable (not helped by rotating artists whose skill greatly ranged in quality).
    I wonder if there's anyone who's a fan of Carol in the cartoons. She generally just comes off kind of over-aggressive and one-note on Avengers Assemble, and I honestly feel like Grey Griffin is stuck delivering one of her less noteworthy performances in a Big Two media adaption.

I also sometimes feel like the cartoons fall prey to the issue of having to constantly tell but not show that Carol as Captain Marvel is this "awesome, a-list, heroine" whenever they use her. I guess that's an unfair thing for me to harp on when it happens with male heroes (how many times do people in-universe act like Batman and Superman are these awesome figures just because they are Batman and Superman? Granted they're archetypal heroes to begin with) but it feels disingenuous to me. Especially in the Marvel Rising stuff where it feels like a lot of Carol's involvement is to kind of shill her because they have to.

In contrast I thought Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes did a better job of establishing Carol as a character first and depicting her in a well-rounded manner that makes you like her while developing how awesome a hero she is out of that. Maybe it was because the creators weren't trying to work with the preconceived expectations of Carol that seem to go into her depiction now, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    God, that Spiderman panel really shows why the revamped costume is so much better.
    I still miss the Cockrum look...even though I understand it's probably too cheesecakey or prone to fanservice shots to service a character Marvel is trying to spin as their serious, "leading" heroine.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if there's anyone who's a fan of Carol in the cartoons. She generally just comes off kind of over-aggressive and one-note on Avengers Assemble, and I honestly feel like Grey Griffin is stuck delivering one of her less noteworthy performances in a Big Two media adaption.

I also sometimes feel like the cartoons fall prey to the issue of having to constantly tell but not show that Carol as Captain Marvel is this "awesome, a-list, heroine" whenever they use her. I guess that's an unfair thing for me to harp on when it happens with male heroes (how many times do people in-universe act like Batman and Superman are these awesome figures just because they are Batman and Superman? Granted they're archetypal heroes to begin with) but it feels disingenuous to me. Especially in the Marvel Rising stuff where it feels like a lot of Carol's involvement is to kind of shill her because they have to.

In contrast I thought Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes did a better job of establishing Carol as a character first and depicting her in a well-rounded manner that makes you like her while developing how awesome a hero she is out of that.

I still miss the Cockrum look...even though I understand it's probably too cheesecakey or prone to fanservice shots to service a character Marvel is trying to spin as their serious, "leading" heroine.
    Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes generally did a better job with the Avengers characters and franchise than Avengers Assemble, Season 5 notwithstanding, and that's largely because Season 5 is essentially Black Panther's show, only "happening" to feature the Avengers. That being said, to relate to the actual topic at hand, I think what's been holding her back from real greatness is an overall lack of consistency in developing her character even despite Marvel's attempts to push her as its leading heroine. In shorter words --- pick a direction, pick a good writer-artist team, and then stick to it, let them do a solid run to develop her without constantly relaunching new #1s every year or eighteen months. (Ok, maybe not that much shorter, but the point has been made, I hope.)
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes generally did a better job with the Avengers characters and franchise than Avengers Assemble, Season 5 notwithstanding, and that's largely because Season 5 is essentially Black Panther's show, only "happening" to feature the Avengers. That being said, to relate to the actual topic at hand, I think what's been holding her back from real greatness is an overall lack of consistency in developing her character even despite Marvel's attempts to push her as its leading heroine. In shorter words --- pick a direction, pick a good writer-artist team, and then stick to it, let them do a solid run to develop her without constantly relaunching new #1s every year or eighteen months. (Ok, maybe not that much shorter, but the point has been made, I hope.)
    It'll be interesting to see what direction Carol moves into once the movie comes out since I think a major part of the reason Marvel's been continuing to promote her as they have is in anticipation of the movie.

Like, it feels like the comics have been struggling for consistency in direction, tone, and characterization for Carol since DeConnick left, so will it be able to regain that with Kelly Thompson and the movie coming out? Assuming the comics can even easily integrate what the movies are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    And pouches. Don’t ever forget the pouches.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Captain Marvel Vol. 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #651 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
    #2 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #2 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes
    #2 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Comics, Manga & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

No other female in comics has had a book stay a top seller on Amazon this long. Every time I go look at those numbers SHE is there. Not Wonder Woman, Mera, Batgirls, Harley or any other female (aside from Khan).

She is already there.
    I don't understand why so few people acknowledge this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is a great show that I miss. When it comes to ranking the best comic book animations on TV, A:EMH makes my top five and maybe top three.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    I don't understand why so few people acknowledge this.
    Because the numbers don't really mean in thing there.

Amazon sells are cumulative over time thereby making them a hard gage of actual interest in the title. Buyers can get one novel hate and then never buy again. Same buyer could have got the title today or last year and it wouldn't have mattered. It's a cumulative total and inaccurate way to interrupt and projected sales data in terms of actual success for the comic medium.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-16-2019 at 03:36 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is a great show that I miss. When it comes to ranking the best comic book animations on TV, A:EMH makes my top five and maybe top three.
    It's easily in my top 3.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Because the numbers don't really mean in thing there.

Amazon sells are cumulative over time thereby making them a hard gage of actual interest in the title. Buyers can get one novel hate and then never buy again. Same buyer could have got the title today or last year and it wouldn't have mattered. It's a cumulative total and inaccurate way to interrupt and project sales data in terms of actual success for the comic medium.
    I don't see how that means nothing. The fact that Captain Marvel is best seller means she has stuck a chord with an audience that doesn't frequent comic stores.