Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Do you like your favorite characters invincible?

And if so, why? Just curious.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

No, I want the writers to shatter their spines and the artists to draw their screaming faces so I can watch them bounce back.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

This is a good topic, but when we deal in superlatives like "invincible", the discussion loses the subtleties it needs to be useful.

I like characters with a variety of talents. Some character should have something that can't be beaten like Ben Grimm's spirit. One might also take Reed Richards' or Lunella lafayette's intelligence, but those should regularly be challenged and occasionally beaten. Then on the other end, we have Daredevil's supporting character Turk, who regularly had his butt handed to him and was consistently unsuccessful.

I also like to shake things up. An occasional easy victory by a hero can be a fun change of pace.

No, it's lame.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This is a good topic, but when we deal in superlatives like "invincible", the discussion loses the subtleties it needs to be useful.
    Ha. Fair enough.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    No, I want the writers to shatter their spines and the artists to draw their screaming faces so I can watch them bounce back.
    Ha! Assuming this is sincere, me, too!

No, i like a good challenges for my favorites. Althougth a curb stomp or two once in a while is not bad either.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Invincible? No, at least not in the way I think you're suggesting. But they're superhero comics, traditionally they follow a fairly strict pattern. The hero is either incredibly skilled or abnormally powerful to some degree, they come across a foe or obstacle that gets the better of them, and eventually they succeed against the foe/obstacle. Put that on repeat for decades, and you have almost every long-running, serialized superhero comic. The trick is to make the challenge, initial failure, and eventual success compelling enough for a reader to stick with the book until the next struggle.

It isn't so much that superheroes are invincible as much as the genre has inevitable success sewn into their DNA. Personally, I do not mind.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 02-12-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Damn right. Put them through the worst hell imaginable, and have them come back stronger for it. Born Again Daredevil Style.

Some of my favorite stories are when the heroes lose. It's the time where you see the most growth and what really matters most to the character.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Damn right. Put them through the worst hell imaginable, and have them come back stronger for it. Born Again Daredevil Style.
    Dern tootin.'

Invisible is boring.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Yes, my favorite hero has to be pretty darn powerful. Because evil never sleeps, never strays from its monomaniacal mission, never plays by the rules, and won't hesitate to kill said hero many times over to obtain its sinister ends.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    No, i like a good challenges for my favorites. Althougth a curb stomp or two once in a while is not bad either.
    Agreed. Always cared more about character than feats.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I don’t know if Stan Lee intended Tony Stark to be Invincible when he started the Invincible Iron Man logo, but it was a very preposterous term to use. However, the longer Tony Stark’s story went on, it became clear Stark himself thought he was Invincible. I think Tony Stark does symbolise invincibility. Stark is the most determined man to be right all the time. He’s righter than Steve Rogers in Civil War, and in the Illuminati. That makes him invincible to me.