Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Flaws and limitations are EVERYTHING.

The more poweful a character, the more likely they are nerfed or sidelined or shelved or inevitably killed off.

My favorite character in comics, by far, is Matt Murdock so obviously the answer to the question would be "YES!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    My favorite character in comics, by far, is Matt Murdock so obviously the answer to the question would be "YES!"
    Likewise. That guy takes a beating all the time. But it's the simple act of refusing to stay down that makes me root for him all the more.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

I sort of think of Loki with this question. Given what he is, he has the potential to be one of the strongest characters in Marvel.

But his own flaws and his own thoughts on his role keep that from happening.

Well, at the end of the day, they have to be invincible, or it would not be very fun for us fans (just see the reactions at the end of Avengers Infinity War, and all the records Avengers Endgame is sure to break, so that people can see how the heroes are going to win). However, the challenge is what makes it intresting. The bigger the challenge, and the harder they have to fight to overcome it, the better the story. As someone mentioned above, this has been going on, in one way or another for decades, so it's becoming hard to find new inventive ways in which to do so. The sad result? Many cases of plot induced stupidity, so that the bad guy can show how "awsome" and "superior to the hero" he really is. A LOT of writers today go down this road, creating humongous threats and writing themselves into corners, giving us great set-ups but severely disappointing outcomes. It's taking the heroes with feet of clay a little bit too far, IMHO. Like it or not, nobody likes to root for losers. Eveybody loves winners, and maybe this explainsa bit the poor state the industry seems to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Invisible is boring.
    Oh, Sue Richards won't like to hear that.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Well, at the end of the day, they have to be invincible, or it would not be very fun for us fans (just see the reactions at the end of Avengers Infinity War, and all the records Avengers Endgame is sure to break, so that people can see how the heroes are going to win). However, the challenge is what makes it intresting. The bigger the challenge, and the harder they have to fight to overcome it, the better the story. As someone mentioned above, this has been going on, in one way or another for decades, so it's becoming hard to find new inventive ways in which to do so. The sad result? Many cases of plot induced stupidity, so that the bad guy can show how "awsome" and "superior to the hero" he really is. A LOT of writers today go down this road, creating humongous threats and writing themselves into corners, giving us great set-ups but severely disappointing outcomes. It's taking the heroes with feet of clay a little bit too far, IMHO. Like it or not, nobody likes to root for losers. Eveybody loves winners, and maybe this explainsa bit the poor state the industry seems to be in.

Peace
    I like to root for underdogs the most. For there to be any tension in the story, the villain has be a believable threat or even win against the hero at least once.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

It's all relative. Daredevil definitely comes across as "invincible." Realistically, no one comes back from the beatings that he's taken over the course of his career without serious long-term side effects. No one. That he so often does speaks to a degree of invincibility, doesn't it? When a character reaches the point that Death for him/her is the outlier, not the convention, that is invincibility, too, isn't it?
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post

Peace
    Nobody likes to root for losers, but rooting for the underdog is a different matter. There's a good healthy middle ground between being invinsible and being a loser.

Using a sports analogy, you can be outscored in every single inning of a baseball but, but still win the game in the 9th. And I think ideally that's what you want to shoot for. Heroes pretty have much have to win in the end... but they can still get struggle or even flat out get their behinds kicked before getting to that point.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It's all relative. Daredevil definitely comes across as "invincible." Realistically, no one comes back from the beatings that he's taken over the course of his career without serious long-term side effects. No one. That he so often does speaks to a degree of invincibility, doesn't it? When a character reaches the point that Death for him/her is the outlier, not the convention, that is invincibility, too, isn't it?
    This is actually what the current run is addressing brilliantly, which makes me root for this particular underdog even more..

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I don’t know if Stan Lee intended Tony Stark to be Invincible when he started the Invincible Iron Man logo, but it was a very preposterous term to use. However, the longer Tony Stark’s story went on, it became clear Stark himself thought he was Invincible. I think Tony Stark does symbolise invincibility. Stark is the most determined man to be right all the time. He’s righter than Steve Rogers in Civil War, and in the Illuminati. That makes him invincible to me.
    Or, it may have been nothing more than Stan using alliteration when it came to ol' Shellhead and he rolled with it because it sounded cool. Just a silly guess.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 02-13-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

"sort of". Black Panther is my favorite character and I like him best when he outsmarts/plans his opponents. Basically I like him to function like a good version of Verbal Klindt/Keyser Soze.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The writer could build invincibility into the character by virtue of his/her attributes, then let the conflict and resolution flow logically from there. Or they could build the invincibility into the character's narrative, but actively intervene as needed to ensure the desired outcome. I'm guessing most writers prefer the latter. I prefer the former, since there are less twists and contortions required to fill the credibility gap and other challenges of maintaining the invincible narrative.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Interesting take as I interpreted "invincible" in a different context, i.e. does the hero fail or lose on occasion. Obviously the beatings Matt has taken would have long term affects for a normal person; however, I would not suggest he is invincible given all the loss he has experienced.

Also as phonogram12 indicated, that very issue with Matt is being addressed brilliantly in the new run.

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    LOL. I'm completely with you. The same thing about Tony. Daredevil is on of my all time favorite characters and both he and Tony are interesting without their costumes on. They both have had terrible things happen to them . but keep fighting the good fight.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

No. I like human characters.
    But, of course, humans have more layers than just 'tragedy'.

So I wouldn't want every story to be an exercise in 'how to break character x'.

I think my ideal range for superhero mortality would be Batman: Year One, Sandman Mystery Theatre or the 80s Dennis O'Neil edited books at Marvel.
    Human, fallable and capable of many different emotions.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.