Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Default The "it WAS as bad as people said it was" thread.

To go along with the other thread this one is for movies you heard bad things about and still gave a chance, and it turned out the word of mouth was right and the movie did suck.

Predator (2018) - Wow was this movie garbage. Every character was just grating to watch every minute they were on screen. There was some good talent in that cast, but none of them brought even close to their a game for this turkey. That and the whole Autism is the next step in human evolution subplot was just beyond stupid.

Justice League. I liked MOS and BvS better than most, but Justice League was just a big miss.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Batman v Superman. And I say that as someone who defended Man of Steel.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Aside from some of the musical performances, the Beatles' MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR and LET IT BE films. Paul McCartney was the mastermind behind both film projects, and taking into consideration his movie GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADSTREET in the 80s, Paul is a much better musician than he is a filmmaker.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Aside from some of the musical performances, the Beatles' MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR and LET IT BE films. Paul McCartney was the mastermind behind both film projects, and taking into consideration his movie GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADSTREET in the 80s, Paul is a much better musician than he is a filmmaker.

I recently heard that Peter Jackson is taking all the raw material from Let It Be and making a new documentary/
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Pan.

Warner Bros. take on the Peter Pan story. Beyond bizarre choices like having pirates sing top 40 hits, Neverland natives that disappear in colored smoke when killed and setting the whole movie (an origin story, mind you) about 40 years after the original play, it just failed to understand the character of Peter Pan. In Barrie's book and play, Peter Pan is a cocky, dangerous, immature wild child trapped by his fear of growing up and his distrust of adults. Things that he could get over if he just let himself grow up, which he's too scared to do. In Pan, he's . . . half-fairy. And afraid to fly (steal from Hook much?). And apparently the Chosen One. The movie was a paradox. It went out of its way to make the environment of Neverland and all the visuals crazy, weird and fantastical but then turned their main character into one of the most overdone, hackneyed character types in fiction.

Once the "Chosen One" bit comes up and you remember that it's Warner Bros., it's easy to put two and two together. They're trying to make Peter Pan more like Harry Potter because the Harry Potter series was finished and they were hoping to get a string of movies out of Pan. One of the most compelling characters in children's fiction, butchered in pursuit of a franchise.

Mighty Member

Fant4stic

Never have I seen a movie so bad that I agreed with 99% of critiques.

Well, it would help if I actually saw it. The lighting is so poor in this movie that the North Pole has more vibrant lighting.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I recently heard that Peter Jackson is taking all the raw material from Let It Be and making a new documentary/
    Yep. I'm looking forward to it.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    the whole Autism is the next step in human evolution subplot
    Always had the feeling writers only include that kind of pop-science to brag that they occasionally glance at sci/tech headlines. "Mi riting's beter then urs coz me reed Whyerd last week."
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

Extraordinary Member

Dragonball Evolution and The Last Airbender.

Dragonball is a worse movie, but Last Airbender is much more disappointing because I think Avatar could have worked as a live action movie with how rich the source material is. DBZ seems like something that would be harder to adapt. Both are atrocious though.

Superman Returns. Would be boring even if it wasn't a rehash of a movie from the 70s, making its terrible dead-beat dad Superman stand out even more. At least Man of Steel had things happen.

iMan 42s

Alien: Covenant

Way to completely butcher continuity.
    All the things it does wrong?
    -David creating the Alien making the universe that much smaller
    -David wipes out the Engineers making the universe that much smaller
    -The Engineers really are just a bunch of albino humans instead of actually alien looking aliens
    -There is an attempted rape. Say what you will about The Predator, but that film didn't managed to **** up its metaphors and subtext so blatantly
    -Apparently you now just need to have the facehugger so much as jack off into a person's mouth and that'll spawn an Alien, so why did they stay on as long as they do in the other films? Hours? **** that we now just need to get an alien facial.
    -The religious sub-text is bunk no matter how you take it. They didn't trust the captain not because he was a Christian, they didn't trust him because he's a fucking moron.
    -What was the point of James Franco in this?
    -2 endings and adds another 20 minutes
    -One such ending is more at home in a Predator movie than it is an Alien.
    -I had to watch Michael Fassbender vomit eggs. Classy.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member

Batman and Robin.

Predator (2018) - Wow was this movie garbage. Every character was just grating to watch every minute they were on screen. There was some good talent in that cast, but none of them brought even close to their a game for this turkey. That and the whole Autism is the next step in human evolution subplot was just beyond stupid.
    Ahh, word of mouth is definitely a factor weather I spend a couple hours not doing other things and sitting through some new joint that, more than likely these days, is a remix of some old joint. I had high hopes for Predator 2018 and still haven't sat through it, sometimes the fans and critics will help you dodge a (time) bullet. IMO only a hand full of movies are critic and fan opinion proof, a select few get the play where it's an already set plan to sit through. Everything else needs some vetting.

I'll go for the low hanging fruit, the positives were so few and far between in Suicide Squad it just isn't really worth one's time. Nothing that expense to produce should be that corny. I'm actually looking forward to the 2nd one Gunn directs because the first one I'll never sit through again and look to get the bad taste out.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Solo

I thought this movie was just complete trash. Can't understand why some people liked it.

To go along with the other thread this one is for movies you heard bad things about and still gave a chance, and it turned out the word of mouth was right and the movie did suck.

I was *just* thinking about this movie the other day. I remember the first time hearing about it and it really got my hopes up -- the cast, the fact that Shane Black was a major player, etc. And then... the reviews and fan reception came in. I tried to give it a shot, and, well, what a farce.