Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I should’ve said mutant-only nation. Even after the X-Men, there were still magistrates in the country that still led to a civil war. It was only after Magneto killed them that the nation was good to go. I mean, after the X-Men came in and beat the crap out of Magneto for trying to build an army.
    You forgot the part where Magneto abducted and crucified (literally!) Xavier and was preparing to start World War III with that army.

But at least something gets done, screw the humans.
    So, in your view, only mutant lives have value?

BANNED

Didn't Magneto turn Genosha into a pro-mutant segregationist country?

(obviously, there is definitely some problematic subtext involved that whenever mutants get "the upper hand", the story always involves them subjugating humanity in some way)

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    You forgot the part where Magneto abducted and crucified (literally!) Xavier and was preparing to start World War III with that army.
    |
    |
    |
    V
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Of course I’m not saying that Magneto always does the right thing, even most of the time.

So, in your view, only mutant lives have value?
    Well, magistrate lives certainly don’t.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Didn't Magneto turn Genosha into a pro-mutant segregationist country?

(obviously, there is definitely some problematic subtext involved that whenever mutants get "the upper hand", the story always involves them subjugating humanity in some way)
    Such subtext is both quite realistic and, I suspect, quite deliberate. The point is that mutants, in a moral sense, aren't any better than humans and possess all the same kinds of flaws, failings, and weaknesses. That includes taking revenge when given the chance and being corrupted by power.

Magneto personifies the concept: he became the very sort of genocidal monster that victimized him in the first place. That's what makes him such a tragic villain.

Power turns people into assholes. Even formerly oppressed people.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    Such subtext is both quite realistic and, I suspect, quite deliberate. The point is that mutants, in a moral sense, aren't any better than humans and possess all the same kinds of flaws, failings, and weaknesses. That includes taking revenge when given the chance and being corrupted by power.

Magneto personifies the concept: he became the very sort of genocidal monster that victimized him in the first place. That's what makes him such a tragic villain.

Power turns people into assholes. Even formerly oppressed people.
    It's literally "Diversity is white genocide" fearmongering. The bullshit rhetoric that "Aaakshually, it's the oppressors who are oppressed" because instead of having 100% of the power they now have only 95%.

It's problematic to imply that any step towards equality leads to supremacy, because that's what's used to suppress equality.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mackandal View Post
    It's literally "Diversity is white genocide" fearmongering. The bullshit rhetoric that "Aaakshually, it's the oppressors who are oppressed" because instead of having 100% of the power they now have only 95%.

It's problematic to imply that any step towards equality leads to supremacy, because that's what's used to suppress equality.
    I think you're taking what FUBAR said the way wrong way. Concepts of revenge are pretty easy to see. An oppressed minority comes to power and there will be a desire on some level to make those who oppressed them pay. It's a pretty natural and understandable desire. To say that those who were oppressed will be above such actions is pretty naive. It's nothing like saying "diversity is white genocide" and I think it's a disservice to try to compare it that way. I'm sure there are plenty of historical instances of individuals or even groups who gain power over those who once oppressed them and abusing that power just like it was abused towards them. What it shows, is that we are all human and subject to the same failures. Understanding that gives us the ability to realize when we are making those same mistakes and correct our actions. Ignoring them and trying to misrepresent what others say because we are so quick to make snap judgements is how we continue to fall short of actual equality.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I think you're taking what FUBAR said the way wrong way. Concepts of revenge are pretty easy to see. An oppressed minority comes to power and there will be a desire on some level to make those who oppressed them pay. It's a pretty natural and understandable desire. To say that those who were oppressed will be above such actions is pretty naive. It's nothing like saying "diversity is white genocide" and I think it's a disservice to try to compare it that way. I'm sure there are plenty of historical instances of individuals or even groups who gain power over those who once oppressed them and abusing that power just like it was abused towards them.
    The French Revolution comes to mind.

What it shows, is that we are all human and subject to the same failures. Understanding that gives us the ability to realize when we are making those same mistakes and correct our actions. Ignoring them and trying to misrepresent what others say because we are so quick to make snap judgements is how we continue to fall short of actual equality.
    Bingo.

Plus Loa's blood formed an "X"

idk how relevant that is or if that was solely the artist but

At this point whatever happens to the flat scans is their own fault.

Spectacular Member

4 months in and there is still no real reason why Nate did what he did. Who gave him the life seed. What is the purpose of anything? Heck other than a few pages here and there I don't Nate has had much to do at all? Omega better have a lot of explanation or this really was a wasted event.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greyspawn View Post
    4 months in and there is still no real reason why Nate did what he did. Who gave him the life seed. What is the purpose of anything? Heck other than a few pages here and there I don't Nate has had much to do at all? Omega better have a lot of explanation or this really was a wasted event.
    I don't think any of that is going to be explained.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by greyspawn View Post
    Either its explained in the omega or X(Xavier) did this because it's part of some contorted vision of making Xavier's dream reality

We know Nate is dying, so he decided to use the life seed to be a Messiah.
    And we know he is now against relationships because he has a never-explored-before trauma for being a test tube baby.

I don't think we'll get more explanations about it.

I'm pretty sure Xavier or Sinister gave him the Life Seed. probably Xavier

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I'm pretty sure Xavier or Sinister gave him the Life Seed. probably Xavier
    Where could he have obtained one?
    he was dead until "recently"