Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Intent and execution are two different things. I’ll believe it when I see it
    Wow shots fired.

Jdw is playing a sad song on his ukulele lol

I wish our fearless editors played electic guitar or the drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    What are folks' impressions about Dept X/The X-Tremists so far? They're Nate's enforcers, and could be read as secondary villains at this point - is any of that tamping down on any anticipation you might have had for their book as you lose sympathy for the characters, or is it making you more curious about how they see this world and their role in it?
    More curious, definitely.

Deep down in places they don't talk about at parties, they want to be enforcers. They need to be enforcers.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

BANNED

What are folks' impressions about Dept X/The X-Tremists so far? They're Nate's enforcers, and could be read as secondary villains at this point - is any of that tamping down on any anticipation you might have had for their book as you lose sympathy for the characters, or is it making you more curious about how they see this world and their role in it?
    Never had that much sympathy for the team concept, and I say this as someone who likes Northstar and Iceman as characters. Not in the "this is a bad idea for a book" sense, but "these people are all assholes in this world and I'll enjoy the team for being assholes". Department X always looked like something insidious, so I'm actually looking forward to them being creepy and the book having some unsettling behavior.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Never had that much sympathy for the team concept, and I say this as someone who likes Northstar and Iceman as characters. Not in the "this is a bad idea for a book" sense, but "these people are all assholes in this world and I'll enjoy the team for being assholes". Department X always looked like something insidious, so I'm actually looking forward to them being creepy and the book having some unsettling behavior.
    Yeah, they're assholes, but that isn't them, it's Nate. Nate is the creepy *******.

BANNED

My original thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    ... Prisoner X & the X-Tracts for me, most definitely. X-Tremists also, to a lesser degree, 'cause premise-wise: rebels > enforcers. They all look & sound interesting enough tho, IMO.
    ... haven't changed. I'm hoping the enforcers wake-up eventually tho, and turn on Nate, which they probably will.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 02-16-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Leah Williams has mentioned on tumblr that she intentionally picked some characters that were famously anti-fascist and anti-authoritarian to be the X-Man’s horny police. Especially because it just shows how much the 616 X-Men aren’t in control of their lives while their “new” versions are put under different circumstances and living entirely new lives. Plus, when Northstar gets his memories back, he’s gonna kick Nate’s ass.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Leah Williams has mentioned on tumblr that she intentionally picked some characters that were famously anti-fascist and anti-authoritarian to be the X-Man’s horny police. Especially because it just shows how much the 616 X-Men aren’t in control of their lives while their “new” versions are put under different circumstances and living entirely new lives. Plus, when Northstar gets his memories back, he’s gonna kick Nate’s ass.
    Did she actually use the words "horny police?" Because that would be fun.

Honestly, I think Betsy would totally be on a team like this. Not that she'd be happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Did she actually use the words "horny police?" Because that would be fun.

Honestly, I think Betsy would totally be on a team like this. Not that she'd be happy about it.
    She DID!

http://handaxe.tumblr.com/post/18262...t-queerness-in
    DO YOU WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT QUEERNESS IN AOX: X-TREMISTS?
    then ok here goes.

Marvel comics aren’t “largely written by editorial” (this just came up on my dash in a different context) but the way it works is they approach writers based on voices they think are right for projects. That’s why everything I’ve worked on for Marvel has been like a dream come true for me in particular. Bc all my editors are great and get me.

So with X-tremists it was like “Here’s this utopian mutant society where all love is forbidden–would you be interested in telling the secret police story angle in this world?” and I responded with “Can I have canonically gay characters on my team? And Jubilee?” because I’m a queer woman. Obviously my approach to “all love is forbidden” is first going to be “Well, what what happens to the love that was already forbidden?” because that’s a compelling story I can immediately see.

X-tremists is a love story in many ways, and most aren’t romantic. But no matter what it isn’t going to ignore the experiences of characters who would already know what forbidden love feels like. X-tremists is A Lot™️ for me to write emotionality, in part because it explores the consequences of queer erasure on the page in a way that feels like I’m walking a tightrope, just barely getting away with doing it.

Also, X-tremists is largely about what happens when they wake up in this alternate reality because the way I imagine these characters in particular reacting to what they’ve been forced to be complicit in is a wildly exhilarating and cathartic story to tell. (Jean-Paul? The openly gay, anti-authority, rebellious anarchist!? Are you kidding??? Of course I want him on the Horny Cops team for an important reason!!!)

tl;dr here’s tweets i randomly encountered on twitter that sum it up better than i could

the only thing i’ll add is that the team members in X-tremists did not choose this role–it was forced on them, and their memories tampered with. X-tremists is not the name of their team, but it has a different significance in the story. I am only interested in telling a story that gives justice and weight to both their actions as Department X, and their resulting reactions once they wake up.

X-tremists seems exactly the kind of story I want to see in the X-Men. Very interested.

Extraordinary Member

Lol that is great lol

The Horny Cops LOL

But I've said this before, but I can only imagine how much harder this would be for gay characters. The very concept of romance is supposed to be removed from these characters. At least biological attraction between men and women can be understood as a biological need for procreation, but same sex relationships are just sort of are. You can't control it, it's just what you understand.

Since the "Most Anticipated Series" thread is drifting toward being a catch-all thread anyway, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for general discussion - impressions, news, theories, all that good stuff.

There will likely be spoilers for recent and upcoming issues within.

So, kicking things off... yeah, I'm kind of shocked that I'm enjoying this whole concept as much as I am. I came into this event pretty let down after UXM: Disassembled and only intended to pick up a couple of the minis because characters I liked were in them. Because AUs? Whatever. Now I'm probably going to be buying the whole slate and really hoping some (most!) of these writers stay with the line once AoXM wraps.

The other thing I'm impressed with is how much coordination seems to have gone into setting up this world. I know that's just an initial impression, and we may see more cracks forming as more of the series come out, but everything seems cohesive in a way that's been lacking from the X-Offices for a while now.
    I agree.

This series so far has felt so much more interconnected and meaningful than most of the stuff I have read since beginning comics 5 years ago.

I think it’s likely a combination of two things:

1.) it’s an AU so the writers have a little more freedom
    2.) it’s separated from the rest of the MU so it can play by its own rules.

Regardless, the seamless transition and connectedness between the books could really serve as a guide on how to improve the x-line after AOXM is over.

In a way it kinda makes me wonder if the books would be a lot more consistent and connected if the xmen were in their own universe instead of 616. But I guess that’ll never happen so not much use in wondering.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I agree.

This series so far has felt so much more interconnected and meaningful than most of the stuff I have read since beginning comics 5 years ago.

I think it’s likely a combination of two things:

1.) it’s an AU so the writers have a little more freedom
    2.) it’s separated from the rest of the MU so it can play by its own rules.

Regardless, the seamless transition and connectedness between the books could really serve as a guide on how to improve the x-line after AOXM is over.

In a way it kinda makes me wonder if the books would be a lot more consistent and connected if the xmen were in their own universe instead of 616. But I guess that’ll never happen so not much use in wondering.
    I think what this series shows is that we readers have enough faith in the comics to tolerate some weird stuff. They need to be more adventurous and just give us some faith that we're going to be able to deal with it.

Agreed, when weird is done well there's not much better!

BANNED

Theory: with her true name not being revealed, what if Unveil is really...

... Joanna Cargill, AKA Frenzy. I say this with her retaining her AoX memories in mind, and that somehow leading to this new incarnation, in AoXM.