Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Age of X-Man: General Discussion *spoilers*

Since the "Most Anticipated Series" thread is drifting toward being a catch-all thread anyway, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for general discussion - impressions, news, theories, all that good stuff.

There will likely be spoilers for recent and upcoming issues within.

So, kicking things off... yeah, I'm kind of shocked that I'm enjoying this whole concept as much as I am. I came into this event pretty let down after UXM: Disassembled and only intended to pick up a couple of the minis because characters I liked were in them. Because AUs? Whatever. Now I'm probably going to be buying the whole slate and really hoping some (most!) of these writers stay with the line once AoXM wraps.

The other thing I'm impressed with is how much coordination seems to have gone into setting up this world. I know that's just an initial impression, and we may see more cracks forming as more of the series come out, but everything seems cohesive in a way that's been lacking from the X-Offices for a while now.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 02-12-2019 at 11:50 PM. Reason: thread continuity

maybe Apoccy will retain his "loving ways" after the event?

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    [URL="https://community.cbr.com/showthread.php?119524-Which-Age-of-X-Man-mini-are-you-most-looking-forward-to"]
    The other thing I'm impressed with is how much coordination seems to have gone into setting up this world. I know that's just an initial impression, and we may see more cracks forming as more of the series come out, but everything seems cohesive in a way that's been lacking from the X-Offices for a while now.
    That's my favorite thing about this event. Hopefully the main 616 books take a page from AoXM's book and begin to feel more coordinated and cohesive.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    That's my favorite thing about this event. Hopefully the main 616 books take a page from AoXM's book and begin to feel more coordinated and cohesive.
    It's too early to tell, but I think that might be happening with UXM reflecting the fallout from Disassembled, then dovetailing with the aftermath of AoXM. Some other posters have pointed out that there are complementary tones to these two books, with UXM going from darkest days to a sliver of hope, while on the end of things we're seeing the rot beneath a supposed utopia. That could be coincidence, or it could mean the creative teams are coordinating beyond just their own contained narratives. But we will see.

Disassembled was a stumbling start to this new era of X-Men, and it really would be nice if this is an indication that they've all got their feet under them now.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I like some of the aspects of this event. I admit i still want more insight from Nate , but i understand that this is still early in this story and more is to be revealed. The whole thing of mutants not being born naturally kinda rings of something Sinister would do. I hope that he, or better yet Ms. Sinister comes into play at some point.In this world a character that i would like to see is Nanny, she was always interesting to me because her motives seemed like good angles for stories regarding mutants.

I would not mind seeing the system that mutants are born in this world explored, I think Nanny would be a good addition in that. The absence of non mutant characters could also be touched on.

I also think that this was good to have the various creators work together to build a world, hopefully it continues past AOX-man so they continue to build a cohesive franchise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    JDW said on the podcast he was on recently that that is one of his goals.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    maybe Apoccy will retain his "loving ways" after the event?
    Lol that would be funny and awkward for all involved.

Also, my current t theory is that Nate might be spying on Apocalypse's team through Unveil. He's allowed this team to happen to try and bring out pockets of resistence, thus making them easier to catch.

BANNED

Has anyone gotten access to the secret cover for NextGen yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    JDW said on the podcast he was on recently that that is one of his goals.
    Intent and execution are two different things. I’ll believe it when I see it

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Intent and execution are two different things. I’ll believe it when I see it
    It seems like they're giving it a good go. And this event is off to a more than great start. But Dissemble was such a mess that it's worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    It seems like they're giving it a good go. And this event is off to a more than great start. But Dissemble was such a mess that it's worrying.
    Disassembled was never supposed to kick off the relaunch, iirc. That was fairly late change to the project. Basically, everyone who read those ten issues and said it felt like the writers were just trying to fill pages had the right idea. That doesn't seem to be the case here, at least. So fingers crossed they'll stick the landing.

Extraordinary Member

Disassembled was never supposed to kick off the relaunch, iirc. That was fairly late change to the project. Basically, everyone who read those ten issues and said it felt like the writers were just trying to fill pages had the right idea. That doesn't seem to be the case here, at least. So fingers crossed they'll stick the landing.
    It was supposed to lead to AoX, though. And it didn't feel especially well planned, especially them just dropping the Life Seed in at the end.

I don't know why it annoys me so much that they did that.

BANNED

The way JDW described it when it was still supposed to be a miniseries, it was the cap to the Ressurxion era rather than the start to what comes next.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    The way JDW described it when it was still supposed to be a miniseries, it was the cap to the Ressurxion era rather than the start to what comes next.
    With the way they approached and marketed it, it felt more like Extermination was the end of that.

I've enjoyed the ride so far, including the leadups. I am a little worried that we're going to spend the next 6 months slow rolling things like Uncanny did however and that the finale will be utterly facepalm worthy like Inhumans vs X-Men.

I'm just thankful we have other titles to read if this "reality" ends up going off the rails.