Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

You know, I sort of get it. Maybe Dissemble was such a mess because everyone was so excited for this?

BANNED

I've said it before & I'll say it again, more than anything, Disassembled was a means to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    It's too early to tell, but I think that might be happening with UXM reflecting the fallout from Disassembled, then dovetailing with the aftermath of AoXM. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Interview with Zac Thompson and Lonnie Nadler at Battle of the Atom podcast: http://www.xavierfiles.com/2019/01/2...lonnie-nadler/...

... - Worked closely with Rosenberg to ensure that the conclusion of AoXM “dovetails nicely” into what is happening in Uncanny. ...
    Took me a while, but I knew T'n'N had said as much somewhere, practically verbatim.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Has anyone gotten access to the secret cover for NextGen yet?

Disassemble was made 1,000 time worse but every single surprise beginning ruined on day 1. Disassemble was a based surprise event. Surprise Nate is the villain,Surprise he has horsemen, Surprise he merges with Legion, Surprise all the X-men are going to lose,Surprise we are doing another age of apocalypse event, Surprise look Cyclops is back. Dissemble wasn't great but it is entirely feel if you have no clue what is going to happen. If Marvel tells us how endgame ends you think the movie is going to as good?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    ... every single surprise being ruined on day 1. ...
    Thank God they're avoiding that with AoXM, I like guessing, and trying to figure out things before they happen. Speculation is half the fun.

BANNED

It's too early to tell, but I think that might be happening with UXM reflecting the fallout from Disassembled, then dovetailing with the aftermath of AoXM. Some other posters have pointed out that there are complementary tones to these two books, with UXM going from darkest days to a sliver of hope, while on the end of things we're seeing the rot beneath a supposed utopia. That could be coincidence, or it could mean the creative teams are coordinating beyond just their own contained narratives. But we will see.

Disassembled was a stumbling start to this new era of X-Men, and it really would be nice if this is an indication that they've all got their feet under them now.
    Yeah, I think I was the first talking about how they feel like companion pieces. Uncanny is all about hope blooming amidst despair, AoXM is about the "best days" being a lie that's starting to crumble. I'm pretty sure they're coordinated for real this time. I think the pay off in July/August might be worth it in the end.

Another problem with Disassembled being a "means to the end" is that we got 10 parts to tell a short story that didn't give all the answers, because a lot of them were to be answered in Age of X-man, like, the whole reason Nate was acting like that.

In AoXM, we already saw he is doing this because of an alternate Nate, a important part that I missed in Disassembled. And I think there is a lot more to come. I don't mind a story not giving all the answers on itself, but after 10 issues, I'd like to come out of it knowing more than I did. Nate felt OOC, the Seed situation was very important and was only mentioned quickly in the last issue. If it was only 5 parts, I'd like it better.

Disassemble was made 1,000 time worse but every single surprise beginning ruined on day 1. Disassemble was a based surprise event. Surprise Nate is the villain,Surprise he has horsemen, Surprise he merges with Legion, Surprise all the X-men are going to lose,Surprise we are doing another age of apocalypse event, Surprise look Cyclops is back. Dissemble wasn't great but it is entirely feel if you have no clue what is going to happen. If Marvel tells us how endgame ends you think the movie is going to as good?
    That was an issue, knowing going in that the X-Men were going to "lose" somehow and AoXM was going to happen. But we also know that eventually the X-Men in AoXM are going to break out of Nate's control and triumph. The bigger difference, I think, is that Disassembled was a hollow progression - even with the endgame spoiled early on, there was ample room for character work, both for the X-Men and for Nate and Legion. But the journey from point A to point B was pretty empty - little to nothing about how Nate or Legion got to where they were was explained to any satisfaction, impactful character moments were almost non-existent, and those that there were wound up undermined by being either redundant (Archangel) or badly implemented (Anole). Even the big, inspiring cavalry charge was a transparent exercise in moving handfuls of random mutants into place.

With AoXM, we're pretty well assured that there will be ripple effects from the time the X-Men spent trapped there. Will it be because they remember having their memories and agency violated by Nate? Will Psylocke, Northstar, Jubilee, and Iceman have to go back to their lives and deal with the memory of having essentially been X-Man's Gestapo? Will Jean and Bishop remember what they were willing to risk for each other? No idea, but even if JDW spilled the beans tomorrow, we'd still be getting an event that's managing very good character exploration despite being an AU, and actually has larger themes at work within it. Some of the twists might be spoiled, but the stories themselves would still have a lot worthy of discussion. I'm not sure the same can be said of the lead-in.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 02-14-2019 at 07:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Thank God they're avoiding that with AoXM, I like guessing, and trying to figure out things before they happen. Speculation is half the fun.
    Yeah, this guessing is so much fun! And since it feels so well thought out, it doesn't feel like guessing is a waste of time. I can't remember the last event that was this much fun to guess about! Maybe Secret Wars?
    And they just end it by revealing the Life Seed almost like sn afterthought, even though it seems rather clear that it was intended to be in the story from the beginning. I don't know why I'm so mad about the Life Seed. Maybe I just really love Uncanny X-Force? I don't know, but it makes me salty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    ... In AoXM, we already saw he is doing this because of an alternate Nate...
    We did? I'm not recallin' this, as you describe it, could you elaborate?

... Disassembled... a... big... transparent exercise in moving... mutants into place. ...
    In a nutshell.

BANNED

CBR.com, Marvel's Strangest Mutant Could Be the Key to Ending the Age of X-Man
    ... Between Uncanny X-Men #6 and Uncanny X-Men #8, Glob and a few other young X-Men were trapped in a dystopian world that was all in Nate Grey's mind. While they thought they spent years in the Age of Apocalypse, they were really only in a projection of Nate's mind for a few moments. If the Age of X-Man is something similar, Glob could've noticed the telltale signs that mark the world as a Nate Grey creation.

At the end of this issue, Glob attacks his friend Armor with a fiery move he learned while in the Age of Apocalypse illusion. Since she was stuck in there with him, he's most likely trying to jog her memories of their shared time in that illusion and the regular Marvel Universe. ...

What are folks' impressions about Dept X/The X-Tremists so far? They're Nate's enforcers, and could be read as secondary villains at this point - is any of that tamping down on any anticipation you might have had for their book as you lose sympathy for the characters, or is it making you more curious about how they see this world and their role in it?

Extraordinary Member

Hmm, damn, CBR actually has an interesting theory? What is the world coming to!

Extraordinary Member

What are folks' impressions about Dept X/The X-Tremists so far? They're Nate's enforcers, and could be read as secondary villains at this point - is any of that tamping down on any anticipation you might have had for their book as you lose sympathy for the characters, or is it making you more curious about how they see this world and their role in it?
    It honestly makes me feel a bit bad for them since this really isn't them. It's Nate once again using people as his own toys. He's taking advantage of their unique personality traits to make them his ideal enforcers and it's creepy.

I was going to skip them entirely, since they weren't particularly well utilized or interesting in Alpha (Coming off as your standard AU cronies), but after their guest spot in NextGen, they do give off a creepy ass vibe that I am now interested in seeing. Especially given Bloblocke.