Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Something feels off to me, and I think it's that the narrative and Jor-El's character seem to be at odds with each other. Jon's reaction to Jor-El bearing his heart out and pointing out their connection as oddities as well as family being "Wow, this guy is crazy, I need to run away as soon as possible" is portrayed as being 100 percent right. Additionally we have Lois and Clarks reaction more or less treating it like Jor-El intended for all this to happen, with Clark even contemptuously dismissing this existential crisis, the Green Lanterns shuffling off awkwardly when he shows up, and "the summer Grandpa wouldn't talk to me".

What makes it weird is that, taken on it's own, Jor-El IS sympathetic - he's going through emotional turmoil, he tries to bond with his grandson, he helps people throughout the galaxy and has an unerring ability to tell who's the good guy in a conflict, and even offers to take Jon home. Maybe the future issues will portray this a bit better since we've been getting biased perspectives, but for now, I feel like there's a weird disconnect with what the narrative is telling us about Jor-El and what he's actually like.
    Yep, I definitely noticed nothing Jor El has done really has been that bad yet.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    That "Year of the Villain" announcement that came out earlier mentioned there would be stuff related to Action Comics in the 25-cent book they're putting out as the kickoff.
    It says it'll have content related to Bendis's run which is not exactly the same as "the Jon Kent you know and love is gone for good". I'm expecting Bendis to have his way for another year at least. I also hope and pray that Jon can and will be de-aged/reset, eventually.

Really enjoyed this one. I'm glad we're getting some in depth looks at what happened in space and not just a quick 2 pager catch me up with some flashback panels. The last page has me ready for the next issue already.

When I first heard Jor-El was alive and back in Superman's life, I hated the idea. But so far under Bendis, I'm with it. I wouldn't say I like Jor-el, but I'm interested in him.

Did anyone else catch the Nathaniel Dusk movie Jon was watching?

Might help to determine a timeline if Nathaniel Dusk films are playing on television in Doomsday Clock (a year ahead) and also here in Jon's quarters. Or, it could just be an Easter egg.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    It says it'll have content related to Bendis's run which is not exactly the same as "the Jon Kent you know and love is gone for good". I'm expecting Bendis to have his way for another year at least. I also hope and pray that Jon can and will be de-aged/reset, eventually.
    Yeah, I'm just reasoning that if they're continuing to place Bendis stories as important to the current DCU, then he's not going anywhere. It also means what he does will eventually affect other books and characters. The longer he's on the books, the harder it will be to fix things.

And he's said he's already got next year planned.

That is, if one is of the opinion he's breaking anything in the first place. I very much am not. Hell with Wonder Comics and a more interesting Superman than I've personally read in years, he's the one doing the fixing as far as I'm concerned.

His Lois is literally my only issue, and that appears to be getting a little better. Not yet good, but not #1004 trainwreck either.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-13-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That is, if one is of the opinion he's breaking anything in the first place. I very much am not. Hell with Wonder Comics and a more interesting Superman than I've personally read in years, he's the one doing the fixing as far as I'm concerned.

His Lois is literally my only issue, and that appears to be getting a little better. Not yet good, but not #1004 trainwreck either.
    And as usual, I think you are 100 percent wrong.

Master Hero Vladimir

I don't have much problems with Bendis either, but I do wish he could take more risks with Superman and his community. I can't quite put my finger on it but I think Bendis has played it safe with Superman's relationships with his wife and son. Sure, they separated for a while and they are back together and have made it clear that whatever challenges they face, they will have each other's back. I'm sure people who enjoy the family dynamics will like this development (even if Superboy is a teenager), but in my opinion, Bendis is trying to have his cake and eat it too by changing Superboy but not really changing him.

In this issue, Superman and Lois feel like they have lost a kid, but the truth is they didn't lose their son. Sure, they missed all the crucial moments in Jon's development and they have to get to know their son all over again, but they want to remain optimistic and offer hope to their son, who is beating himself up for leaving his parents in favor of a grandfather he barely knows. I guess Superboy was more excited about the idea of being his grandfather than being more excited about his grandfather himself.

I am looking forward to see the story reach a climax and Bendis does seem to hint at a confrontation between Superman and Jor-El over the fate of Superboy.

His voice for Lois was rough here still but an improvement over what we’ve seen. I think when he actually gets to writing Lois instead of having her have to do something to set up some plot element he gets better. I’m still taken aback by how she’s by far the weakest element of his run, Lois is on the same spectrum as some of his best characters like Jessica Jones or Deena Pilgrim. How he’s struggled to get her voice right surprises me still.

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    And as usual, I think you are 100 percent wrong.
    Ah if there’s one thing I can appreciate about Bendis it’s that discussion on the forum has certainly gotten livelier since he started lmao.

I really enjoyed the issue.

So much to like. Superman needing things to punch. Punches Mongul. Liked Lois here. Art is splendid. Jor-El is more interesting then i thought. Loved to see Green Lanterns. Great art. And an excellent cliffhanger.

Jon is very likeable here. As a fan of Jon Kent, i am very satisfied.

Hopefully, this grows into the United Planets thing. Bendis has more then made up for this month's Action. That issue was good in places but it felt like a dissapointment for me.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-13-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Something feels off to me, and I think it's that the narrative and Jor-El's character seem to be at odds with each other. Jon's reaction to Jor-El bearing his heart out and pointing out their connection as oddities as well as family being "Wow, this guy is crazy, I need to run away as soon as possible" is portrayed as being 100 percent right. Additionally we have Lois and Clarks reaction more or less treating it like Jor-El intended for all this to happen, with Clark even contemptuously dismissing this existential crisis, the Green Lanterns shuffling off awkwardly when he shows up, and "the summer Grandpa wouldn't talk to me".

What makes it weird is that, taken on it's own, Jor-El IS sympathetic - he's going through emotional turmoil, he tries to bond with his grandson, he helps people throughout the galaxy and has an unerring ability to tell who's the good guy in a conflict, and even offers to take Jon home. Maybe the future issues will portray this a bit better since we've been getting biased perspectives, but for now, I feel like there's a weird disconnect with what the narrative is telling us about Jor-El and what he's actually like.
    You are right. Jor-El hasn't done anything really bad now. Only thing we got is that he is 'off'. That talk about there is no sense in universe definitely changed Jon's mind. From a fun time with grandpa in space to i am stuck with my weird grandpa in space.

And that was a time, Jor-El was trying to have a heart to heart conversation with his grandson.

Confirmation the Mongul fight in Naomi #1 started in this issue.

4D3C287B-86B8-4D65-8F04-5B7AE15AF22C.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Confirmation the Mongul fight in Naomi #1 started in this issue.

4D3C287B-86B8-4D65-8F04-5B7AE15AF22C.jpg
    That’s what I figured. Supes was so steamed he pounded Mongul from the North Pole to Portland lol.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The Nathaniel Dusk movie was no accident