Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Favorite Superhero Origin

Doesn't have to be for your favorite DC hero, just whichever superhero origin you think is best in all DC comics history. Could be the classic, general origin, or a particular update on an origin for those who have multiple (say whether you prefer Birthright or American Alien for Superman for example). Doesn't have to be in continuity, and it can even be from outside comics (like Wonder Woman's movie vs any origin story she's had in comics). Which origin story most resonates with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Doesn't have to be for your favorite DC hero, just whichever superhero origin you think is best in all DC comics history. Could be the classic, general origin, or a particular update on an origin for those who have multiple (say whether you prefer Birthright or American Alien for Superman for example). Doesn't have to be in continuity, and it can even be from outside comics (like Wonder Woman's movie vs any origin story she's had in comics). Which origin story most resonates with you?
    green lantern's my fave, so i'm leaning towards dying alien granting a power ring to test pilot origin...

but gotta say that the last son of krypton being raised by the kents will always set the bar for origin stories for me.

For me it's Grant Morrison's Superman backstory from Action Comics in the post-Flashpoint era. I just cannot get over Jonathan laughing with Clark about how they put a tractor repossessed by the Bank from a man who needs it more than ever on the roof of the bank as a super-prank to stick it to the man! Best Jon Kent ever. His basically aggressive progressive class based politics struck me as equally influential to who Clark Kent grows up to become as the fact of his powers! And the "Champion of the People" Superman he grows up to be showcases the basic premise of the character as much as I could ever want!

Definitely my favorite.

It's hard to say my second favorite. Probably Captain Marvel Jr, in the realm of ideas. Not so much because he gets his powers from Billy, I was never the world's biggest fan of that. More because his grandpa is killed by a Nazi and so he decides to use his newfound powers just kicking Nazi ass up and down the block. I mean, he never says as much explicitly I don't think in the classic books, but given the sheer number of times he fights Nazis, I'm pretty comfortable making that claim. In the realm of actual published stories, it's harder to say. Maybe Dick Grayson. I love how thoroughly he overcomes his defining tragedy compared to Bruce. No wonder he's the worthy successor to Superman, the first Nightwing!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member

I really liked Crimson Fox's origin in Justice League Europe. Twin sisters running a successful perfume company and taking turns with being Crimson Fox. Using pheromones as a weapon was a unique power. Also the fact that Vivian had a more noticeable French accent than her sister made it humorous, especially since they faked Constance's death.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Wally's is probably my favorite, along with him being my favorite character. The wish fulfillment for a kid that didn't get along with his parents is just too touching for my inner child to ignore (not that I didn't get along with my parents, but everyone feels like they're on the outside at some point)

I'd say that I also really like Hal's. Just something about being chosen for that quality of fearlessness, and the mystique surrounding Abin Sur's death...it's a good one.

John Stewart's New 52 origin definitely has to be one of my favorite (if not my favorite) origins. It's a shame DC never revisits it.

Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-14-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The Family Album segments from the Ruby Spears cartoon for Superman.

Year One for Batman.

Year One for Wonder Woman.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

My favorite is probably Hal Jordan. It's simplistic but highlights a cool, broad mythos of an intergalactic police force as well as Hal as a character being chosen for his virtues and heroic material. Special shout out to Geoff Johns "Secret Origin" take on it.

Superman is a close second. I think most people take it for granted since we're all so used to it but it has a lot of emotional impact with parents saving their only infant child and Clark growing up as an outsider but meant for greatness.

I also really like Hawkman/Carter Hall. An Egyptian prince being stabbed by a powered dagger that makes him and his lover start reincarnating as heroes is a very cool and unique origin.

Honorable mention to Supergirl/Linda Danvers. It's pretty complex, mixing Linda being corrupted, bringing down the fire angel and Matrix sacrificing herself all into one. But it's still a great origin that spins off a great story and journey from it.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    My favorite is probably Hal Jordan. It's simplistic but highlights a cool, broad mythos of an intergalactic police force as well as Hal as a character being chosen for his virtues and heroic material. Special shout out to Geoff Johns "Secret Origin" take on it.

Superman is a close second. I think most people take it for granted since we're all so used to it but it has a lot of emotional impact with parents saving their only infant child and Clark growing up as an outsider but meant for greatness.

I also really like Hawkman/Carter Hall. An Egyptian prince being stabbed by a powered dagger that makes him and his lover start reincarnating as heroes is a very cool and unique origin.

Honorable mention to Supergirl/Linda Danvers. It's pretty complex, mixing Linda being corrupted, bringing down the fire angel and Matrix sacrificing herself all into one. But it's still a great origin that spins off a great story and journey from it.

Shiiit forgot about Hawkman. Strong contender.

Never read supergirl's origin.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Geoff Johns in just a few pages did a great job with Red Lantern Dex-Starr. You can feel the rage and still stay on his side.
    I loved Mime & Marionette in Doomsday Clock too.

Anyone say Donna Troy?
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 02-14-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Retired

I like both the Alan Scott origin story and the Hal Jordan origin story for Green Lantern.

The original Mr. Terrific's origin is interesting. There are lots of mystery men who were gifted at everything, but Terry being suicidal yet ultimately choosing to become a costumed vigilante instead, to give his life some purpose, that's pretty gripping stuff.

The original Captain Marvel's origin story was really great. I actually read about it first in ALL IN COLOR FOR A DIME, where Dick Lupoff gives a vivid description of how he read that story in WHIZ COMICS No. 2 when he was a little boy. Lupoff's experience powerfully affected me and I'd recommend any comic lover to try and find it.

Superman's origin story is, of course, one of the greatest origin stories ever told.

Blackhawk has a powerful origin story, from Will Eisner, Chuck Cuidera and Bob Powell. There are many heroes who are driven to their cause to avenge the deaths of their murdered family, but the grounding of the origin in the invasion of Poland by the Nazis, gives his origin story an edge. That the Polish pilot then seeks out other air aces from around the world to join his cause in fighting for freedom from the tyrant warlords, proves the nobility of the mysterious man known only as Blackhawk.

For a 12 year old kid to knowingly decide to steal the tires from the Batmobile, when most hardened criminals cringe at just Batman's name, takes serious stones.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Captain Atom (Post Crisis) - Air Force officer Nathaniel Adam is framed for a crime he didn't commit and forced to be part of a top secret project or face the death penalty. Something goes wrong with the project and it throws Adam 20 years into the future giving him massive superhuman powers. He discovers his children are now grown and the main who forced him into the project in the first place Gen. Wade Eiling married his wife after Adam was presumed dead. That 80's series was fantastic.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't know if this is in the mainstream universe or not but in the Injustice comic, there is a house cat that became a red lantern after Amazo blew up an entire town. THAT is a cool origin!
    Assassinate Putin!

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

For a 12 year old kid to knowingly decide to steal the tires from the Batmobile, when most hardened criminals cringe at just Batman's name, takes serious stones.
    This was my answer.