Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post

This ^ great (Neal Adams I believe) image would be re-purposed for the iconic Super Friends Challenge era intro.
    They just swapped out Arrow for Robin.

I believe it's also re-worked again as the JSA in same positions (on the back cover?)

And again, swapping Aquaman with Captain Marvel- for the DC Superheroes Calendar (1977)
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-08-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    This ^ great (Neal Adams I believe) image would be re-purposed for the iconic Super Friends Challenge era intro.
    I have a drinking glass with this image on it. I had it at work the other day and couldn't help bemoaning aloud the fact that "These are my childhood heroes. They're all white. They didn't even put the green guy on here."

I'm more nostalgic for the Satellite era JLA than any other comic book property but it's a damn shame there were 16 members and they were all white except for the Martian. Thank goodness our world is finally changing for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I have a drinking glass with this image on it. I had it at work the other day and couldn't help bemoaning aloud the fact that "These are my childhood heroes. They're all white. They didn't even put the green guy on here."

I'm more nostalgic for the Satellite era JLA than any other comic book property but it's a damn shame there were 16 members and they were all white except for the Martian. Thank goodness our world is finally changing for the better.
    Yeah it was a problem for me to (still is to some extent)
    So much so that when Hanna Barbera picked up the license, they wanted the JL to better represent their audience and asked DC what they had.
    They had nothing! Except Black Lightning (although DC didn't want to pay Isabella out of their cut of royalties, so they just said redesign and call him something else). Hence Black Vulcan, the rest HB had to clumsily come up with on their own, Apache, Samurai, Dorado. (plus Rima)
    Sadly their ethnicity became the most (and quit laughably maybe only) important thing about them, so they literally wore it in their cliche forced names, costumes, accents and allot of bare skin.
    It screamed did you notice we are diverse! LOL!

Still as a kid (which was their audience) I really didn't see much difference they all seemed like legit members to me, and their powers and voices seemed pretty fantastic! If anything I was disappointed I couldn't find them anywhere in the comics. LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-07-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Is there a hero you would include in the classic line-up that was never written into the book. I know Alex Ross always includes Captain Marvel and Plastic Man in a lot of his JLA drawings. What would your additions be, if any?
    Captain Comet.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post

You're forgetting Red Tornado, who was... red, of course. However, both, in their secret identities, were white. Yeah, diversity came late to the Justice League. The lack of females actually bothered me much more, until Black Lightning refused membership. To my delight, the first official black member (I can't count John Stewart, who was actually, at first, just a place holder for Hal Jordan) was actually a female. Vixen.

Peace

Is there a hero you would include in the classic line-up that was never written into the book. I know Alex Ross always includes Captain Marvel and Plastic Man in a lot of his JLA drawings.

What would your additions be, if any?
    A hero I would include in the "classic line-up" that was never written into the book?

That's easy, see the gif. above; I'm not into replacing characters, I do prefer adding them, which makes for a large team. My justice League was always a perfect mix of Satellite Era, and Super Friends.
    So to me it comes to included The Exor Twins, Apache, Vulcan, Samurai and Dorado.
    In real time how it actually happened: Seven Founders + Seven Silver to Bronze era additions + Seven Hanna Barbera additions.
    Pretty much looks like;
    Art not mine LOL...

Not sure the thread parameters allow for inclusion of Super Friends characters though? LOL! Might be sacrilege?

Today if I could add seven permanent members to an otherwise "classic line-up" Satellite like team intact, I'd still pull in order of debut towards the end of the bronze age: the Hawks already members (yet who look and identify as Egyptian), Black Lightning(1977), Owl Woman (1977), Vixen(1981), Vibe (more update TV Cisco with rift powers) 1984), maybe Gypsy (1984) as the wide eyed novice, and Kimiyo Hoshi (1985).
    These would already have long ago all been established permanent and always recurring members.
    Nobody today would want to embrace that team though. LOL! . There have been some better characters created since. And nostalgia now looks to the Animated U.

Although they've done better with women and black characters, DC has still yet to create any great, strong adult male Asian, Latino, or Native American characters who stand shoulder to shoulder with their JL.
    That you still have to go back to Super Friends to see any one of those actually on the team, is pretty horrifying.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-09-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Not sure the thread parameters allow for inclusion of Super Friends characters though? LOL! Might be sacrilege?

Well, since I started the thread, I guess it's up to me to make the judgment call about Superfriends.

Sure, what the hell, talking about Superfriends is ok as it is the TV version of the Bronze Age Justice League. They often referred to themselves as the Justice League. Even the Super Friends comic can be discussed because it was a kiddie version of the Justice League comic, so it's basically a spinoff title.

Also, to confirm the above, yes, the front cover to Limited Collectors' Edition C-46 was indeed penciled by Neal Adams. It was inked by Dick Giordano.

The back cover featuring the JSA was both penciled and inked by Dick Giordano. I'll post it here for completeness' and comparison's sake.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    These 8 heroes were probably considered THE faces of DC Comics back in the 70s. Does this still hold true today? If not, who goes away and who replaces them?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Also, to confirm the above, yes, the front cover to Limited Collectors' Edition C-46 was indeed penciled by Neal Adams. It was inked by Dick Giordano.

The back cover featuring the JSA was both penciled and inked by Dick Giordano. I'll post it here for completeness' and comparison's sake.

I have never seen, and utterly love that! I might have suggested that The Atom deserved a spot more than Dr. Fate, but there are only so many non-flying slots to go around I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I have never seen, and utterly love that! I might have suggested that The Atom deserved a spot more than Dr. Fate, but there are only so many non-flying slots to go around I reckon.
    Maybe he did, but Al Pratt had Ray Palmer as a counter part in Earth 1. Dr. Fate and Dr. Midnite had no analogue, much like Aquaman and Green Arrow (though there were Golden Age's Aquaman and Green Arrow, they had never been associated with the JSA, and, at the time, were pretty much all but forgotten).

Peace

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Maybe he did, but Al Pratt had Ray Palmer as a counter part in Earth 1...
    I get your point, but I always had a hard time swallowing Al Pratt and Ray Palmer as counterparts because they had only two things in common: a) a superhero name, and b) a tendency to hang around college campuses.

The point I was getting at was that - like Dr. Midnite - The Atom had a more extensive history with the JSA than Dr. Fate. Still, the JSA-Atom couldn't fly, and more to the point that's still an awesome analog shot.

how about this?

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    how about this?

I don't know if I was the only one who couldn't see your picture, so here it is. As a Filmation fan, I'm glad you posted it!

Is there a hero you would include in the classic line-up that was never written into the book. I know Alex Ross always includes Captain Marvel and Plastic Man in a lot of his JLA drawings. What would your additions be, if any?
    - Cyborg: His original outfit. He's already been retconned as a founder, why not in the Satellite era? (he was on "Superfriends" after all (or was it called "Super Powers" then?))
    - Orion: Nice nod to Kirby and the Fourth World connection has become so much more important.
    - Black Lightning: If not for the behind the scenes stuff with Isabella, he would've had a much higher profile all along.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    If Aquaman can fly in the JLA image I figure Al Pratt could for the JSA one. I figure Dr. Fate was just a more popular character.