Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I think you'll really enjoy Len Wein when he takes over as writer in #100. He was great.

Steve Englehart was the best IMO. He wrote ten of the best issues - all GIANT size. #139-146, 149-150.

Glad you like Dick Dillin's art - he was amazing!!! He only missed one issue (except for reprints and #153) until his death after #183.
    Seems we have much the same tastes in both Legion and JLA!

We were basically creating our posts at the same time, too.

I agree that the Englehart period was the best. He really knew how to make use of continuity at both Marvel and DC and weave interesting stories out of it -- especially the way he tied the Manhunters to the Green Lanterns.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I think you'll really enjoy Len Wein when he takes over as writer in #100. He was great.

Steve Englehart was the best IMO. He wrote ten of the best issues - all GIANT size. #139-146, 149-150.

Glad you like Dick Dillin's art - he was amazing!!! He only missed one issue (except for reprints and #153) until his death after #183.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    JLA doesn't really get "fun" again until Len Wein takes over with JLA 100. Wein's short run is definitely a throwback to the Silver Age, but modernized. It's basically what we think of when we think of classic Bronze Age DC -- a modernized Silver Age.

However, before that Denny O'Neill and later Mike Friedrich were part of DC's "relevant period," which featured issue-oriented stories either overtly or subtextually. Expect some pollution-oriented stories before long.

As far as the art, I'm a big fan of Dillin, but of course, a lot depends on the inker, and for the first few years, his art was largely inked by Joe Giella, an inker who detracted from every penciler he worked with -- not nearly as bad as Vince Colletta, but never great. Dillin's art really shines with the bolder inking of Dick Giordano and Frank McLaughlin. This doesn't happen until within JLA 102 where Giordano shares inking with Giella. From JLA 103, the art takes a dramatic upturn in quality.

In general, after the prime Fox-Sekowsky-Sachs period of the early years, JLA is a generally good read from issues 100-200. After that, it goes downhill and the Detroit era is actually better than the previous couple of years.
    Thanks guys. I guess I have another 20 issues or so to get through to get to the good stuff again.

It's funny, I just did the same thing with Green Lantern that I'm doing with JLA, starting from #1 and going all the way through, and I'm seeing a lot of parrallels.

They both started the same time, 1960, had fun, silver age stories by classic creators. John Broome, Gardner Fox, for the first 75 issues. Then O'Neil comes in and sticks his pet GA in there as the main guy who lectures everyone else and has political issues thrown at us at the expense of the writing. Eventually Len Wein takes over and it gets better but after that Steve Englehart takes the reins and the stories are amazing.

Kinda funny.

I hope that the O'Neil issues I'm about to go through aren't as bad as his run of hard traveling heroes. Those were some of the worst comics I have ever read. Even compared to some of today's bad comics.

Can't wait to get to Engleharts though. I loved his GL run. They were so amazing.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Seems we have much the same tastes in both Legion and JLA!

We were basically creating our posts at the same time, too.

I agree that the Englehart period was the best. He really knew how to make use of continuity at both Marvel and DC and weave interesting stories out of it -- especially the way he tied the Manhunters to the Green Lanterns.
    Yes, I always love reading your posts because we seem to think alike. I almost LOL reading your previous post which somewhat mirrored mine.

I also agree that the quality dropped after #200. It's like Conway just ran out of ideas.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Can't wait to get to Engleharts though. I loved his GL run. They were so amazing.
    His Batman was pretty awesome too.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Another cover I like is from JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #220 by George Perez.

JLA220.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Another cover I like is from JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #220 by George Perez.
    Nice. I actually liked the cover of #119 better. But George Perez rarely misses with his great covers.

Last edited by caj; 04-19-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Well for me, 217 is always the cover I think about when it comes to George and his run on JLA. But I really like his floating heads reactionary ones: JLA 207-209. George is the best with faces.

732467.jpg

And his Zatanna's hair was always the best! Talk about body.

I came in around 1976, age 5, with a story featuring Despero.
    FC99F1A6-ACC7-43E0-88D4-FBF5352D0132.jpg

My fondest early memories are of the JLA/ JSA / Earth S storyline. That felt so epic at the time. I somehow understood everything about the multiple Earths. Maybe that stuff comes easier when you’re younger. That’s just my favorite period in JLA history! Loved Dick Dillin & remember the issue Perez took over the title. Dillin nailed the look of every character to me & he put these treads on the Flash’s boots that I never forgot.

FB541844-0D18-421B-8AF1-B564DBA2AF6D.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Well for me, 217 is always the cover I think about when it comes to George and his run on JLA. But I really like his floating heads reactionary ones: JLA 207-209. George is the best with faces.

732467.jpg

And his Zatanna's hair was always the best! Talk about body.
    I love that cover! I wanted to see Superwoman smash away at Superman more often!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    I came in around 1976, age 5, with a story featuring Despero.
    FC99F1A6-ACC7-43E0-88D4-FBF5352D0132.jpg

My fondest early memories are of the JLA/ JSA / Earth S storyline. That felt so epic at the time. I somehow understood everything about the multiple Earths. Maybe that stuff comes easier when you’re younger. That’s just my favorite period in JLA history! Loved Dick Dillin & remember the issue Perez took over the title. Dillin nailed the look of every character to me & he put these treads on the Flash’s boots that I never forgot.

FB541844-0D18-421B-8AF1-B564DBA2AF6D.jpg
    Yes, these were not only great covers but great stories and artwork. I know those thick jagged treads of which you speak on the Flash's boots.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    Dillin nailed the look of every character to me & he put these treads on the Flash’s boots that I never forgot.
    Dillin is such an underrated artist. I completely agree that he nailed every character he drew. And yes, I noticed those treads on the boots as well. Pure genius.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Now THAT is an exciting cover. Great post.

Extraordinary Member

Now THAT is an exciting cover. Great post.
    My favorite part of it is how Green Arrow is apparently running as fast as The Flash.

JLA #127 was one of my earliest Comic Book purchases:
    JLA_127_94.jpg