Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Justice League of America [SILVER to BRONZE Ages] Appreciation 2019!

This is the thread to discuss all of your favorite memories of the original, classic Justice League of America -- the center of the pre-Crisis DC Universe!

This thread is ONLY for the pre-Crisis Justice League of America.

Here's the ad that came out in 1960 to promote the team's first appearance in Brave and the Bold 28.

As Superman and Batman were very much protected by their editors, Mort Weisinger and Jack Shiff, they were only grudgingly allowed on the team. Notice how they weren't even on the cover! Yes, their names are prominently displayed in the ad, but if you saw the comic on the newsstand without first seeing the ad, you might have passed the comic by because you thought it didn't have Supes and Bats.

Here's a pic of the team by its original artist Mike Sekowsky. I started reading the JLA with Dick Dillin as a kid, but there was something about Sekowsky's art that really appealed to me -- in spite of how he made Superman and Batman look fat.

Here's an image of basically the whole team in the late 1970s by Dick Dillin.

The JLA was unique in comics in that it had only 2 pencilers for its first 183 issues. Sekowsky drew B&B 28-30 and JLA 1-63. Dillin drew JLA 64-183, missing only 153, which introduced Earth-Prime's first superhero, Ultraa.

Here's a pic of the Satellite-era team from 1976's Limited Collector's Edition C-46. It's drawn by Dick Giordano and features the JLA plus a few friends.

So, what was YOUR first issue of pre-Crisis JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA?

I somehow got my hands on a couple of the 100-Page Super-Spectaculars from 1974 -- JLA 111-112 -- the ones that featured Libra forming the Injustice Gang of the World.

However, I think those were bought for me or I traded for them with a friend.

The first Justice League of America comic that I actually know for sure that I bought with my own money was JLA 120, dated July 1975. It guest-starred Adam Strange in a 2 part story. JLA 121 had the wedding of Adam and Alanna.

Here's an interesting tidbit. Marvel & Stan Lee get due credit for their stories that tried to bridge the divide between the races during the 1960s. One of the more famous ones at Marvel was "Brother, Take My Hand" from Daredevil 47, dated December 1968.

However, DC did a "brotherhood" themed story a full year BEFORE Marvel's! It was in the pages of Justice League of America 57, dated November 1967 and features a great cover by Carmine Infantino and Murphy Anderson.

It was written by the JLA's original writer, Gardner Fox, and appeared a few years before DC's so-called "relevant-era" that began in 1970.

For reference Link to the original Classic Satellite era Justice League appreciation (which pretty much tangentially celebrated the bronze-age JL):
    - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...justice-league
    Some milestones through the eras (still editing:-

1960 (Silver-Age) - Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash (Barry Allen), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), J'nn J'onzz, Superman, Batman
    Founders (Snapper Carr honorary member): The Brave and the Bold #28

1961- Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) joined: Justice League of America #4

1962- Atom (Ray Palmer) joined: Justice League of America #14

1963- Adam Strange (Flash sugests him for membership) Justice League of America #24

1964- Crime Syndicate of America: Justice League of America #29

1964- Hawkman joined: Justice League of America #31
    - Hawkgirl although she joins for several adventures does not become official member: Justice League of America #31

1966- Metamorpho (Rex Mason) offered membership chose to be stand-by member: Justice League of America #42

1966- The Royal Flush Gang: Justice League of America #43

1968- Dennis O'Neil begins as altwriter (potential start of bronze-age JL): Justice League of America #66

1969- Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance) joined: Justice League of America #74
    - Sonic Scream/Canary Cry introduced: Justice League of America #75
    - and Green Arrow's New Look: costume, gear and vandyke-beard (as per Neal Adams new design The Brave and the Bold #85 ) and with it a new personality after losing his fortune and becoming champion of the underprivileged by O'Neil (possible start of Bronze/relevance age)) And start of the Arrow Canary relationship)

1969- Snapper Carr betrayal Secret Sanctuary compromised- Justice League of America #77
    -Silver age era ends:
    -Satellite Era (roughly start of Bronze age) begins:
    1970-Satalite HQ introduced: - Justice League of America #78

1972- Phantom Stranger. Allie : Justice League of America #103

1973- Elongated Man (Ralph Dibny: Justice League of America #105

1973- Red Tornado: Justice League of America #106

1974- Green Lantern (John Stewart): backup GL: Justice League of America #110

1974- Libra and the Injustice Gang first introduced: Justice League of America #111

1977- Hawkgirl ( Shiera Hall) although already active becomes official member: Justice League of America #146

1978- Zatanna: Justice League of America #161

1979- Black Lightning (offered membership turns it down): Justice League of America #173

1983- Black Canary who stayed behind in #74 retroactively revealed to have always been the Daughter of Golden Age Canary) - Justice League of America Vol 1 #219 #220

1984- Martian Manhunter returns Justice League of America #228
    Satellite destroyed, Justice League of America #229 - Justice League of America #230
    (End of JL Satellite Era)
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-13-2019 at 08:30 AM.

By the way, all JLA comics from 1960-1987 before the Justice League International relaunch are fair game. Since this is a Silver to Bronze Age Pre-Crisis JLA appreciation thread, we also can discuss the Detroit Era here.

After the original 7 members, the JLA admitted many members over the years as shown in Guicho's post above.

It became a semi-regular tradition to give a new member a certificate when he or she joined, and a big to-do was made about it. Let's take a look at these special JLA cases.

GREEN ARROW JOINS THE JUSTICE LEAGUE! (JLA 4, Apr-May 1961)

HAWKMAN JOINS THE JUSTICE LEAGUE! (JLA 31, November 1964)

ELONGATED MAN JOINS THE JUSTICE LEAGUE! (JLA 105, Apr-May 1973)

Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 02-13-2019 at 08:47 PM.

ZATANNA JOINS THE JUSTICE LEAGUE! (JLA 161, Dec 1978)

FIRESTORM JOINS THE JUSTICE LEAGUE! (JLA 179, Jun 1980). Firestorm is the final member to join the League before the Detroit-Era disbanded the classic team.

Wonder Woman left the Justice League after she gave up her super powers in Wonder Woman 179, 1968.

After she got them back and performed the Twelve Labors to prove herself worthy to join the JLA, she was readmitted.

WONDER WOMAN REJOINS THE JUSTICE LEAGUE! (JLA 128, Mar 1976)

Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 02-13-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I remember flipping out when I saw this Alex Ross painting on the cover of Wizard. One of the rare Ross paintings of the entire JLA (sans Firestorm) that does not include Captain Marvel and Plastic Man.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I remember flipping out when I saw this Alex Ross painting on the cover of Wizard. One of the rare Ross paintings of the entire JLA (sans Firestorm) that does not include Captain Marvel and Plastic Man.

yeah, one of the best from alex ross i think.

hope he does work at dc again.