Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

I noticed at the end of the letter column above, Bob Rozakis said there was to be a 72-page All-New Collector's Edition starring the JLA written by Gerry Conway.

That never materialized, but does anyone know what story was planned for it and if it was simply split up and made part of the regular JLA title?

Rozakis says "later this year" in this column from JLA 160 (Nov 1978), which was on sale in August 1978, but DC had basically stopped publishing tabloids by then.

Could it have been the 3-part story where the Secret Society of Super-Villains switches bodies with the JLA (JLA 166-168)? This was the story that was referenced in Identity Crisis.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 05-14-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I noticed at the end of the letter column above, Bob Rozakis said there was to be a 72-page All-New Collector's Edition starring the JLA written by Gerry Conway.

That never materialized, but does anyone know what story was planned for it and if it was simply split up and made part of the regular JLA title?

Rozakis says "later this year" in this column from JLA 160 (Nov 1978), which was on sale in August 1978, but DC had basically stopped publishing tabloids by then.

Could it have been the 3-part story where the Secret Society of Super-Villains switches bodies with the JLA (JLA 166-168)? This was the story that was referenced in Identity Crisis.
    From Wikipedia:

Three features originally intended for All-New Collectors' Edition were published elsewhere due to the title's cancellation as part of the DC Implosion.
    "Superman's Life Story" by Martin Pasko and Curt Swan was published in Action Comics #500 (October 1979).
    The planned 1978 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer tabloid's material appeared in The Best of DC #4 (March–April 1980).
    A Justice League story by Gerry Conway and Rich Buckler saw print in Justice League of America #210-212 (January 1983-March 1983).
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Now it can be told!

What really killed Barry Allen...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Now it can be told!

What really killed Barry Allen...

Was this from #181 where Green Arrow resigns?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Was this from #181 where Green Arrow resigns?
    Yeah it was.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah it was.
    Green Arrow left the League for only 20 issues but it felt like an eternity. He was definitely a good seasoning for the JLA stew. Glad he came back at the end of #200.

Let's see, who all left the League and came back during the Satellite years?

J'onn J'onzz, Wonder Woman, Red Tornado ('died' a couple of times), Hawkman, and Green Arrow. Anybody else?
    Batman left but came back in the Detroit version.
    Atom left and I don't think he ever came back.

Green Arrow left the League for only 20 issues but it felt like an eternity. He was definitely a good seasoning for the JLA stew. Glad he came back at the end of #200.

J'onn J'onzz, Wonder Woman, Red Tornado ('died' a couple of times), Hawkman, and Green Arrow. Anybody else?

When did Atom leave the JLA? I'm really not remembering that. I'd guess it was due to Sword of the Atom, but was there a specific JLA issue where he said goodbye or was he just talked about as having already left?

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    When did Atom leave the JLA? I'm really not remembering that. I'd guess it was due to Sword of the Atom, but was there a specific JLA issue where he said goodbye or was he just talked about as having already left?
    According to Mike's,
    After the Microcosmos story that ended with #216, Atom appeared in the Annual (#1) just before the Sword of the Atom mini-series (which launched two months after JLA #216).

He then made one more appearance in the JLA with a three part story (#225-227), before the formation of JLDetroit.

Following that, he was in the first Sword of the Atom Special.

Extraordinary Member

Perhaps Atom never did officially leave the League. Maybe he was just MIA.

It's been too long since I've read any of the JLA issues after #200.

Perhaps Atom never did officially leave the League. Maybe he was just MIA.

It's been too long since I've read any of the JLA issues after #200.
    I should of remembered to check the Annual where JLDetroit forms, as they mentioned a few members not present...

Also, the story in Sword of the Atom Special #1 was titled "The Atom's Farewell", and aside from a flashback, he no longer appeared in the JLA after that. So my guess is that that would be the issue he 'disappears'.

Interestingly, Batman's last issue as a member of the Satellite era JLA was the last part of the Microcosmos story (#216).
    So, Batman was taken out and Atom was being in the process of being removed at about the same time.

And Flash had just made an appearance. He was in #231 and 232. Of course, the others wouldn't know that because the Annual was occurring while Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman and Supergirl were busy with the JLA/JSA crossover.

From Wikipedia:

A Justice League story by Gerry Conway and Rich Buckler saw print in Justice League of America #210-212 (January 1983-March 1983).
    I always wondered what was the deal with that three-parter. It was randomly presented as a JLA casebook old adventure, but it was so out of the blue. The most recent members, such as Zatanna and Firestorm, were not present, nor mentioned, and Wonder Woman was wearing an old costume (I don't recall about Hawkwoman. If she was present, it was just as Hawkman's partner, and not as a member). I think they didn't even bother putting in a brand new framming sequence tieing it to the, then, modern issues. I did enjoy it, though. I was always a fan of Rich Buckler's art.

Hawkwoman was believed dead for a while. That's why she missed the big JLA#200 reunion story. In fact she was gone for what felt like quite a while.

Peace

Superman vouched for Firestorm so that was good enough for me at the time! He felt like a character on the rise to me so I was fine with him joining.

I don’t remember much about the League after early 80’s. Perez had a great but short run. I remember a few Rich Buckler issues that were good. I remember some Chuck Patton issues and then a gruesome story where these “animal” characters show up. I think the story was mentioned before on the boards. The 70’s was my favorite era for the team though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    and then a gruesome story where these “animal” characters show up.
    Yeah, that was not a favorite story of mine. As I said above, it's been a long time since I've read any of the issues after #200. I thing Conway had either run out of ideas or was trying to go in a weird direction.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Hawkwoman was believed dead for a while. That's why she missed the big JLA#200 reunion story. In fact she was gone for what felt like quite a while.
    You are correct. I believe this happened when the Hawks were appearing in World's Finest (I could be wrong). It's a shame they didn't wrap this up before JLA #200 because her absence in that issue prevents it from being a near-perfect issue. I remember being furious that she didn't appear in that story.

Page speaks for itself.