Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

No surprise - as I've said many times - my favorite time in JLofA history was the ten issues that Steve Englehart wrote in the late 70s with art by Dick Dillin (#139-146, 149-150). They were giant size and packed so much into each issue. There was plenty of characterization as well as great storylines. My favorite of those issues was #145 'The Carnival of Souls', which featured Phantom Stranger and Hawkgirl.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here's a pic of the Satellite-era team from 1976's Limited Collector's Edition C-46. It's drawn by Dick Giordano and features the JLA plus a few friends.

I love the satellite era. Great roster and great friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Great images, but are we really just posting mostly the exact images from the other thread?
    Some of the images WILL be the same, but since THIS thread ALSO goes before and after the Satellite Era, there will be other stuff like the Mike Sekowsky images.

Also, even within the Satellite Era, there are unique images here like the Certificate pages for new members.

And, just to keep things interesting, here's some love for Justice League Detroit!

Here's an interesting image by John Workman done in Mike Sekowsky's art style.

It seems to be the Happy Harbor Era JLA, but I guess it's post-Crisis because Black Canary's included and Wonder Woman and Hawkman are excluded.

Here's more Happy Harbor Era images:

Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 02-18-2019 at 06:03 PM.

And, just to keep things interesting, here's some love for Justice League Detroit!
    Man they closed the JL Detroit thread too?! - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...hlight=detroit

Man they closed the JL Detroit thread too?! - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...hlight=detroit
    They've closed pretty much ALL Appreciation threads from before 2019. That's why we're all making new ones.

Extraordinary Member

What made Justice League of America for me was the art of Dick Dillin. Considering that artists today barely draw 12 ISSUES of a book, the fact that he drew the book for 12 years straight is still amazing (#64 - 183).

There was a period of time where the book would have re-issue months. But other than that, Dillin drew every issue but one (#153) until his death on March 1, 1980 (my 15th birthday).

Great images, but are we really just posting mostly the exact images from the other thread?
    sorry... i can't remember what's been posted already in the previews thread.

how about this?

Here's Dick Dillin drawing the aftermath of the origin of the JLA in a flashback sequence from JLA 97, March 1972.

JLA 97 was during DC's 52 pages for 25 cents period. In this particular issue, they wrapped new material around the Mike Sekowsky origin from JLA 9, which is why the new art below is "page 35."

Great of Dillin to draw period-correct costumes for Batman and Wonder Woman here. Artists didn't always do that (like when he drew the later Green Lantern outfit. It should look like the picture in the above post. Oh, well. Two outta three ain't bad.)

On another note, JLA 97 contained a Statement of Ownership, which I always loved to read to get some insight into how the sales were. Here's what it said in this issue:

Average number of copies sold preceding 12 months (total paid circulation): 210,108
    Actual number sold for issue nearest filing date (total paid circulation): 219,767

In other words, these are the sales AFTER issues were returned from the news agents.

Wouldn't DiDio love those kinds of sales now? And JLA wasn't even DC's top seller in 1972.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 02-22-2019 at 05:55 AM.

Here's some original Dick Dillin art. It's from JLA 121 last page. The wedding of Adam Strange and Alanna.

Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 02-22-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Here's art from Dick Dillin's final Justice League issue, #183. It's the first part of a 3-part JLA/JSA/New Gods team up. But wait! There's more!

But, here's the interesting thing. Dick Dillin actually drew the first 2 & 1/2 pages of #184 before he died. However, when George Perez took over, Perez redrew those pages, so we never got to see them until they were reprinted by Alter Ego magazine (issue 30).

Take a gander at what would have been. They were able to get their hands on page 1 and 3 and they printed the George Perez versions for comparison. Great find!

This is the very final art of Dick Dillin's life and long career in comics. I think I actually like Dillin's splash page better than Perez's (although the Darkseid image isn't the best in this pencil-stage), but perhaps Perez's page 3 is better, but not by much. It sure is interesting to compare the two.

Extraordinary Member

But, here's the interesting thing. Dick Dillin actually drew the first 2 & 1/2 pages of #184 before he died. However, when George Perez took over, Perez redrew those pages, so we never got to see them until they were reprinted by Alter Ego magazine (issue 30).

Take a gander at what would have been. They were able to get their hands on page 1 and 3 and they printed the George Perez versions for comparison. Great find!

This is the very final art of Dick Dillin's life and long career in comics. I think I actually like Dillin's splash page better than Perez's (although the Darkseid image isn't the best in this pencil-stage), but perhaps Perez's page 3 is better, but not by much. It sure is interesting to compare the two.

I cannot thank you enough for posting this, Comic-Reader Lad. As a diehard Dick Dillin fan, I always wanted to see these pages. Amazing.

When I looked at his splash page drawing, I was immediately reminded of an interview with inker Frank McLaughlin concerning Dillin:

"Dick, I don't know how he did it--he put a lot of work into his drawings. He would take the logo, the JLA logo, every single tiny bit of it, and trace it onto the page, in pencil, and I had nothing to do with it--they [DC] would just put a paste-up right over it. I don't know why, all he had to do was an outline to indicate where it was. But no, he did the whole thing."

Here's some original Dick Dillin art. It's from JLA 121 last page. The wedding of Adam Strange and Alanna.

That's a really gorgeous piece! Stunning .