Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

BANNED

I still haven't understand just what this project is.
    Is it another event? Is so then it is funny because for some time now, DC didn't had any major event series and currently, if is it an event series, it will have three events running at the same time period.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 02-18-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batknight View Post
    I can read prefectly fine, thank you. You are basing the fact that Batman will save everyone due to him being on the cover. And nothing else really. The story is about the whole DCU espically the League. Why wouldn't Batman be involved in some way?
    I agree. Just look at Metal series, Batman was positioned as the lead character and while he played a very big part in it I would argue that Wonder Woman was the big hero of the event. Superman and Hawkgirl had lead roles too. So yes Batman being on the cover means nothing, I'm sure issue #2 will have a different character on its cover.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

My god is this comic marketed horribly. Is it an Elseworlds? is it in DC Continuity? I need context! context!

I'm not holding the cover against the story and am still very much anticipating it, but that really is a horrible cover. Nothing could make a DCU Zombies pitch less exciting than an image of a solo Batman fighting some SWAT guys by Greg Capullo. There is so many more exciting things that could have been shown.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Sounds really stupid and edgy, so exactly what I expected from Taylor. If you like Injustice or what he did with Earth 2 I’m sure you’ll like this.

Looking at the variant covers I'm surprised they did not try to go for a blackest night reference or something. Which by the way if one of the green lanterns does become a zombie or whatever I hope they turn into a black lantern, it would be neat to see.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

God, I HATED where the Earth One book went once Taylor took it over.
    Just a depressingly oppressive, dark, over the top killfest.
    I gave it a shot for a few months, but dropped it after #26.

This doesn't interest me at all I'm afraid.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

New, exclusive info courtesy of IGN: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/02...eak-in-dceased

No one in the DC Universe is safe.

By Joshua Yehl A fast-spreading virus. People instantly turning violent. The world consumed by blood, panic, and death. This isn’t the latest installment of The Walking Dead but a new six-issue DC Comics event starting May 1 called DCeased, spearheaded by writer Tom Taylor with artists Trevor Hairsine, Stefan Gaudiano, James Harren and Rain Beredo. If you recognize Taylor’s name from the mega hit Injustice, then you already know DC’s characters are in for a really, really rough time.

“The idea originated with editor Ben Abernathy. He had an idea to do a horror/zombie tale at DC, and hit me up to ask if I’d like to be involved. At the time I was pretty busy, but over the next few days, my mind was racing,” Taylor told IGN. “I couldn’t stop thinking of new and terrible ways to torture my favorite heroes in ways that made Injustice look tame by comparison.”

This story takes place outside main DC continuity, which gives it free reign to do whatever it wants… including rack up a high body count.

“While the characters are the ones everyone knows so well, this is very much its own thing,” Taylor explained. “The reason being, the stakes are real. We can tell a story without holding back. No one you love is safe. Even the icons can fall.”

DCeased kicks off when, thanks to Darkseid, a techno-organic virus infects the world’s networks and spreads to some 600 million people through anything with a screen. Those affected try to remove the virus from their minds by scratching and ripping at their own flesh. But once the virus takes hold, they essentially become a rage zombie. Of course we know that Batman has a plan in place for virtually every disaster you could imagine, but this pandemic might be more than even the Dark Knight could have ever prepared for.

“Batman is definitely usually ready for anything. And this is no different. But Batman’s greatest asset, after his friends and family, is his mind,” Taylor teased. “Without wanting to spoil too much, our virus affects the mind. Can Batman fight something that’s part of him? Or will Bat-god be revealed to be as mortal as the rest of us?”

Can something be an event if it doesn’t take place in continuity? And I hate to be that guy, but my interest in this has waned a little bit seeing as it doesn’t “count.”

Obviously the story comes first, but part of the appeal of comics as a medium is the long term building of characters, worlds, and history.

It’s true that I think that strict continuity is a shackle to storytelling, but I prefer Elseworld tales to have a higher concept pitch than “the regular DCU but the story doesn’t count.” More out there concepts like New Order or Kingdom Come or Red Son.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 02-19-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

"No one in the DC Universe is safe."

Yawn!

You're not going to kill anyone significant, and even if you do, he or she will be back inside a year.

It's. Been. Done.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Mighty Member

769B817E-F436-47DC-AD0C-0AF946B463C4.jpg

That’s fair. I guess I’ll check it out once again. It’s going to be interesting seeing people talk about this book on a monthly basis, while supposedly not caring about it. That’s not weird at all. Nice to see that it’s an elseworlds story.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    God, I HATED where the Earth One book went once Taylor took it over.
    Just a depressingly oppressive, dark, over the top killfest.
    I gave it a shot for a few months, but dropped it after #26.

This doesn't interest me at all I'm afraid.
    I found pretty much all of Earth-2 unreadable. Part of that was that I hated what was being done (undone) to the JSA and part of it was just that I found it boring. I was all in on every New 52 book when it launched. I gave every book at least a couple issues and I gave Earth-2 well more than that. It lost me early on. I got cheap trades digitally on comixology to try to like what others were enjoying in it but I just couldn't.

I don't care if a book is light or dark in tone and I'm not put off when characters are killed (everyone comes back but Uncle Ben). I just want great stories about great characters.

The one thing I did appreciate about E-2 was the inclusion of characters from traditionally marginalized populations. I only wish it had been done better.

James Robinson hasn't written a single thing I've enjoyed since he came out of comic book retirement. It's almost like a different guy wrote the amazing Starman series.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    "No one in the DC Universe is safe."

Yawn!

You're not going to kill anyone significant, and even if you do, he or she will be back inside a year.

It's. Been. Done.
    This is an Elseworld I think so it will be the opposite. Taylor slaughtering people because he can.

Interview I read over at Newsarama basically painted Batman in the lead role. I know that tweet says otherwise but when he's the only hero you bring up in an interview, that's not a good sign. At the very least it shows where his attention is. And if that's where the writer's attention is, its going to come through in the content. Whether its supposed to be all about him or not.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El