Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kaecilius vs Ebony Maw

MCU Kaecilius vs MCU Ebony Maw

Who would win between two villains who gave Dr Strange a run for his money.

Astonishing Member

There's really nothing stopping Maw from just reaching out and squishing Kaecilius' head.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    There's really nothing stopping Maw from just reaching out and squishing Kaecilius' head.
    Other then getting dumped into the mirror dimension. That'd stop him just fine.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Other then getting dumped into the mirror dimension. That'd stop him just fine.
    He'd either have to trick or push him in, since those sling ring portals don't work like vortexes. Plus he has to do an elaborate gesture to open it.

Meanwhile Maw just makes a quick, vauge gesture and Kaecilius gets cleaved in half.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    He'd either have to trick or push him in, since those sling ring portals don't work like vortexes. Plus he has to do an elaborate gesture to open it.

Meanwhile Maw just makes a quick, vauge gesture and Kaecilius gets cleaved in half.
    I was going to say all of this ^
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

IIRC, the Mirror Dimension required a Sling Ring to escape, not to get into, which usually was an AOE technique that just dumped the entire area into the Mirror Dimension, where followers of Dormmamu were basically able to control the entire landscape at their whims.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    IIRC, the Mirror Dimension required a Sling Ring to escape, not to get into, which usually was an AOE technique that just dumped the entire area into the Mirror Dimension, where followers of Dormmamu were basically able to control the entire landscape at their whims.
    I'll double check the scenes in a minute, but from the sounds of it, that's still no good. Assuming they dump the area first, they cant escape before said head squishing occurs.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I'll double check the scenes in a minute, but from the sounds of it, that's still no good. Assuming they dump the area first, they cant escape before said head squishing occurs.
    If he's as good with it as Strange was in Infinity War, then he could just shove the things in front of him into the Mirror Dimension. That's a big if, though, especially since Strange was a lot more proficient than anyone else had been shown to be with the Sling Ring in his third appearance.

The Dr. Strange Ebony Maw fought with at the beginning of Infinity War is demonstrably weaker than the one Thanos encountered. Thanos fought against a Dr. Strange that had experienced millions of possible futures, which explains why the sorcerer became a more formidable foe by the time the Mad Titan came to collect the Time Stone. He clearly picked up an assortment of new tricks. I highly doubt Ebony Maw would've fared well against that Dr. Strange, especially since Thanos, who wielded 4 Infinity Stones, struggled against him.

With that said, Ebony Maw slaughters Kaecilius.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomzilla View Post
    The Dr. Strange Ebony Maw fought with at the beginning of Infinity War is demonstrably weaker than the one Thanos encountered. Thanos fought against a Dr. Strange that had experienced millions of possible futures, which explains why the sorcerer became a more formidable foe by the time the Mad Titan came to collect the Time Stone. He clearly picked up an assortment of new tricks. I highly doubt Ebony Maw would've fared well against that Dr. Strange, especially since Thanos, who wielded 4 Infinity Stones, struggled against him.

Lol! I love the breakdown followed up by the one liner "oh yea but he ded" :P
    - big_adventure

I don't know if Strange's better performance was because he'd "picked up new tricks" so much as Maw kept instantly blocking his hands. By his very nature, Strange is more vulnerable to fast weak foes than he is to slow powerhouses. Strange is very easily speed-blitzed, which is essentially what Maw did, albeit in an unconventional way.

Strange starts a spell, and Maw instantly traps his hands. Thanos, conversely, is essentially a skilled version of Hulk, with a weapon that appears to be a little sluggish even if it is immensely powerful. That's nothing to sneeze at, but it does mean that Strange was never in danger of being speed-blitzed as he was against Maw. He has plenty of time to do his little casting dance again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomzilla View Post

Yea most of this has no proof, honestly.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Yeah, it's a neat interpretation. But other interpretation's (MichaelCs up there) seem more valid.

Yeah, Strange vs Maw was a surprisingly realistic version of what happens when an immensely powerful, but rather slow and fragile character fights a fast mid-tier: the mid-tier just wins a quickdraw and merks the powerhouse before he can do anything.

Except Ebony Maw didn’t always block Strange’s attacks nor did he always blitz him. There were a few times where hurling the Mirror Dimension would’ve instantly stopped the fight.

I do not deny Ebony Maw didn’t win through speed blitz; he clearly did. But I highly doubt Strange at the beginning of Infinity War had the power to hurl the Mirror Dimension, transmute blackholes into butterflies, create hundreds of copies of himself, and summon the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak. My reasoning ultimately comes down to how Strange has been consistently portrayed: he’s a prodigy of the Mystic Arts, and he has eidetic memory to boot. So, if Strange experienced over 14 million outcomes of a cosmic war against Thanos, the chances of him picking up new tricks along the way have a high probability. I mean, Strange has learned techniques in less time than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Then I will give my proof in R'Lyehian:

Geb ah ya proof: tomzilla ah nilgh'riyar right