Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Captain America vs Doctor Doom (With A Twist)

As all of you know, the time lost soldier Steve Rogers is not only a physically gifted human and extremely talented fighter but a paragon of courage and determination in the face of adversity as well.

And you of course all are aware that besides being a genius inventor and master mystic, Victor Von Doom is possessed of an unshakeable iron will and sense of self.

So what happens when the two individuals are required to pit their inner strengths against each other, along of course with their tactical savvy? No Adamantium Shield. No power armor, mystic arts or esoteric mental techniques. Just each one's raw willpower transformed into tangible power thanks to devices loaned to them for such purpose (and basic instructions regarding use of course) and their own cleverness and imagination to apply that power.

I, The Watcher, pose this question to you all...

What if Captain America and Doctor Doom fought each other wielding Power Rings?
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    As all of you know, the time lost soldier Steve Rogers is not only a physically gifted human and extremely talented fighter but a paragon of courage and determination in the face of adversity as well.

And you of course all are aware that besides being a genius inventor and master mystic, Victor Von Doom is possessed of an unshakeable iron will and sense of self.

So what happens when the two individuals are required to pit their inner strengths against each other, along of course with their tactical savvy? No Adamantium Shield. No power armor, mystic arts or esoteric mental techniques. Just each one's raw willpower transformed into tangible power thanks to devices loaned to them for such purpose (and basic instructions regarding use of course) and their own cleverness and imagination to apply that power.

I, The Watcher, pose this question to you all...

What if Captain America and Doctor Doom fought each other wielding Power Rings?
    Doom probably has greater will power feats. That odd story where he gets sent back in time and sort of wills himself to not die. The original Secret Wars Beyonder vivisection is a big one.

For Cap I guess the 1st thing that comes to mind was that story where Korvac had him in this futuristic dystopia and he was stuck in a loop where he just kept organizing rebellions over and over and over...etc.. Not that Cap's willpower isn't amazing but I think of him more as being the guy who walks up to Thanos and stares him in the eye from Infinity gauntlet (comic). Balls of steel certainly but Doom as usual is probably on another level so I'd give it to him.

I’d pretty much agree with all of the above.

We have one specific point of comparison in the Emperor Doom story. Doctor Doom uses the Purple Man and some kind of fancy tech to mind control everybody on Earth, including Captain America. The Purple Man complains that Doom is not worthy to take over the world, because he is using the Purple Man's power to control everybody. Doom counters by removing his protective mask and exposing himself directly to the Purple Man and is able to completely resist his power.

There is also Doom shrugging off planetary mind control attempts from a boosted Purple Man even AFTER he intentionally turns off his suit's psi defences.

Basically he resists because "I R DOOM!"

Edit: SHEEELL HEEEEEAAAADDDD!! *dies from speedblitz*
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    We have one specific point of comparison in the Emperor Doom story. Doctor Doom uses the Purple Man and some kind of fancy tech to mind control everybody on Earth, including Captain America. The Purple Man complains that Doom is not worthy to take over the world, because he is using the Purple Man's power to control everybody. Doom counters by removing his protective mask and exposing himself directly to the Purple Man and is able to completely resist his power.

It's neat to picture that whole page with David Tennant's voice.

"Then release me! I - I said release me! Stand on your head! T-take a flying leap! KILL YOURSELF!"

"JESS-iii-CAAAAAAAAH!!!"

While Captain America, undoubtedly, has superhuman willpower, Doom's will has always been portrayed as being almost supernatural.

In addition to will power I think Doom would be way more creative with the ring as well

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    In addition to will power I think Doom would be way more creative with the ring as well
    Agreed. The ring can mimic actual tech. So the dude could whip up blueprints and machinery on the fly.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Doom wins this, with utter ease.

Hmmm, I figured Doom probably beat Steve as far as sheer power was concerned. Was mostly wondering whether the gap was narrow enough and if Steve could compensate with enough tactical acumen to have a chance.

That not being the case according to consensus, what Marvel hero if any would equal or at least approach Doom enough as far as Willpower is concerned to make a match with just Power Rings an actual contest?
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Hmmmm. We need a super hero with serious will power. Funny enough I think Spidey is up there.

( In last Steve Dikto art Spider Man comic, Peter literally wills his body to push his strength beyond what he knew. Otherwise would had died in the debris.)

Thanos is both totally a hero and totally the best pick here. Obviously. Duh.
    - big_adventure

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Hmmm, I figured Doom probably beat Steve as far as sheer power was concerned. Was mostly wondering whether the gap was narrow enough and if Steve could compensate with enough tactical acumen to have a chance.

That not being the case according to consensus, what Marvel hero if any would equal or at least approach Doom enough as far as Willpower is concerned to make a match with just Power Rings an actual contest?
    The closest Marvel hero I can think of with will power close to Doom's is Benjamin J Grimm. He doesn't match Doom of course, but he's probably the only MCU hero that comes somewhat close to Doom.

Logan also has some impressive will feats, but not as impressive as Ben's best feats. Cap's probably third on this list after those two.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Thanos is both totally a hero and totally the best pick here. Obviously. Duh.
    https://goo.gl/images/sVguVe