Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post

She’s always been fiery and head strong but not really with relationships, flirting, yes, but beyond that, she’s always been skittish. The first time she said she loved gambit, she told wolverine.
    She was fiery and headstrong in XXM which is probably my favorite Romy. She needs to **** or get off the pot. This routine is annoying.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    She was fiery and headstrong in XXM which is probably my favorite Romy. She needs to **** or get off the pot. This routine is annoying.
    As much as I have enjoyed KT's work, I do feel we are at risk of treading the same ground...We have been stuck with a Rogue that has acted like a teenager around Remy for so long; "Why does he love me?", "What if he leaves?". I want a self-assured Rogue that thinks "Hey this guy is super into me and I'm super into him" "This just freaking works...I'm all in"

XXM Rogue was very much like that and it was amazing to read. Keeping Remy at arms length had it's charm and made sense in the 90's when their relationship was new and wasn't established but her emotions should have progressed by now.

I am optimistic that the series is working its way up to that point...I just want it to happen as soon as possible.
    L'Enfer !

Exactly. Like holy ****, it has literally been like 25 years of this ****. I feel like my great grand kids are going to be reading about Rogue crying about her powers and Rogue being wishy washy about Gambit. XTAS Rogue and Claremont Rogue were much better characters because they had the right balance of Rogue being uncertain and Rogue being committed.

This version of Rogue is no fun. Newlyweds are suppose to be enjoying their first few years of marriage not angsting over **** she should have dealt with BEFORE getting married. Honestly what was the point of the mini if we still rehashing this stuff 8 issues into an ongoing? Do writers not have anything interesting to write about Rogue beyond her angst over her powers and Gambit?

I truly hope KT puts this behind Rogue at some point but even if she does, some other writer is going to pick up the character and most likely go back to the same old well.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

I truly hope KT puts this behind Rogue at some point but even if she does, some other writer is going to pick up the character and most likely go back to the same old well.
    Truer words.

The issue was fun but yeah I'm about ready for these two to do something actually new. I kinda wonder if this is just being prolonged to keep Rogue an Gambit away from the current status quo. I hope Rogue's powers get fixed again and we can move on to some different adventure. Like that Thieves Guild stuff seemed potentially fun.

This is why sales suck across the board. Same **** over and over.

I had lunch with a buddy of mine early this week. We were into comics in our teens. He is 42 now. We were reminiscing and he was asking me how Gambit and Rogue were doing in the comics. When I told they got married he was excited (knew nothing about Rogueneto and didn't feel like rehashing). Then I told him Rogue was dealing with her control issues and still unsure about Gambit and he was like, "So I didn't miss anything these past 20 plus years."

Think about that for a second. So much has happened in his life since he was a teen and now that he has a family with kids. Yet Romy is pretty much in the same spot he left it 20+ years ago.

Comics are dying because nothing is evolving. Romy is the perfect example of this. Only people interested are those that want to dwell on the past and nostalgia indefinitely. That is an increasingly smaller population.
    Last edited by remydat; 02-14-2019 at 10:57 AM.

I guess if you ignore that this is consistently the best X-men comic coming out lol

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Standing ovation to LegoLiz! Well said!
    THANK YOU AppleJ! High praise coming from you lady

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    I guess if you ignore that this is consistently the best X-men comic coming out lol
    Yeah in your opinion but opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Relax, no need to be rude. You know that Steong Girl Daken is right and KT's books are best reveived comics with Gambit amongst majority of fans and reviews.

You may hate it as much as you want but majority of people likes it.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 02-14-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy_Cricket View Post
    I am starting to think that the arc will conclude with Rogue perhaps realising that she has at times taken Remy for granted and resolves to do better by him.

A lot of this issue focuses on Gambit's devotion to Rogue and how he is perhaps foolish for this. Even Rogue acknowledges in the "Reality TV" section that she is surprised he stays with her. Narratively it seems odd to highlight this flaw in the relationship unless you are going to do one of two things:

1. Break them up again (I wouldn't put it past Marvel)
    2. Have them work through the flaw.
    I think you're spot on with this being the crux of Mr & Mrs. X. This seems to really be the goal that Thompson is working towards in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Right now I see it like this: Gambit loves Rogue and she loves to feel loved and his attitude.

Like Ted and Robin from How i met your mother. KT is doing it on purpose so will see how it all ends and what she planned.
    This is how it reads to me as well. Gambit is clearly in love with her but I'm not sure Rogue actually loves him or just loves how incredibly supportive he is. We see this in real life all the time, you can be incredibly supportive towards someone but they may love another. It's normal and it's why the friendzone exists. And to me simply marrying someone doesn't mean you love them. People get married in a rush all the time because they think they love somebody, and people regret it and get divorced all the time as well. Like I said before actions speak louder than words so I don't need Rogue to say the L word, I just wanna see her be as supportive and acknowledge Remy's love with her own actions.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoLiz View Post
    Part 2

Rogue needs to grow up. Poor girl. Not only do her powers need maturing, but also her relationship skills. We Rogue to hurry up and grow up, but can we give credit where credit is due and understand that she is trying to. For someone who is terrified of forever, she loved Gambit enough to marry him (and we say very clearly that she never loved anyone else enough to accept a previous and recent marriage proposal). Rogue does look like such a straggler when paired up with all-in Gambit, but let’s give her time. When she realized in the mini that it is time for her to commit and fight her instinctual and ingrained by her life’s circumstances fleeing survival skills, that mean it all works out and everything falls into place? Not only would that be a boring read, but it’s unrealistic. Gambit says it himself. He had to do a lot of growing to get where he is. He realized long ago he wanted a future with Rogue (he says it in the first rogue limited series, then when they broke up in X-Men #45, Harbour Speech, when they were without powers and on the road and they got into a fight with mutant teenagers…ah! too many times…). The mini was just like a few weeks/months ago (maybe not for us, but definitely for the newlyweds) so I think the fact she is planting her heels and trying to work through her issues is a huge sign that she loves Gambit. And isn’t it fair that in this situation she would be the one more insecure about the relationship and to question if love is enough? When you love someone, I think it is easier to be in Gambit’s role where you are willing to sacrifice everything for it. But on Rogue’s side, if you truly love someone, would you want them to? What if being with you puts the person you love most in danger (reminds me of X-Treme X-Men when Rogue didn’t want Gambit on the mission because the possibility of him being hurt would destroy her - much more than if she hurt anyone else she cared about). From Rogue’s perspective, wouldn’t you be haunted by the wondering how much easier Gambit’s life would be if he loved someone else? We all saw her biggest fear replayed over and over in this arc. Being with her right now is life and death. Like what if the bracelet/collar malfunctions? Do you have to recharge it (we’d be in big trouble if it was me and my always red blinking low-battery signs on my cell phone)? One small slip and he’d be dead. Is it wrong for Rogue to wonder that if the most horrible thing were to happen (i.e. her killing Gambit), she’d think back and wonder if love was worth it? Was love enough?

I definitely say the pay-off is coming. Will Rogue step up and finally support her husband? Will she be willing to sacrifice the way he has for her? I say yes and I believe it’s coming in the Thieves Guild arc. This is an excellent opportunity because it’s a storyline driven by his past, life, family and responsibilities. Also, we are treading into a territory that is usually separate from Rogue or one she’s taken the morally high ground towards in the past. With how much Gambit has done for Rogue in the mini and in MMX, I can see this being the foundation where Rogue is willing to adjust her life and perspective to support her man. Especially since Gambit being a master thief will be one of the reason Rogue will be able to hopefully get control of her powers, thanks to the deal with Spiral. I am with you purplevit and Mateo3000 that I feel so starved in waiting to see Rogue declare her love more or show it in her actions. But I think this is deliberate. I bet Kelly is just masterfully weaving her web and when she hears us crying about the lack of love on Rogue’s part, she’s just like mojo/Mr. Burns and thinking “Excellent!” Come on, this issue pleased me so much because I needed more Gambit shine and got it (NOTE: I NEED MORE GAMBIT SHINE), so I figure this wait is the build-up to Rogue stepping up.

Finally THANK YOU KELLY THOMPSON. I see KT as Marvel’s personal gift to those who waited so long for stories like this for Rogue and Gambit. I love the art (okay, yes, RomyShip, sometimes Rogue’s face is off), but the colours are so beautiful. We waited so long and MMX is the pay off. And they’re not done yet. PLEASE LET THERE BE MORE ISSUES AFTER THE THIEVES GUILD ARC!!! And Omegarogue is right. Please Kelly Thompson - write Rogue and Gambit forever. Please! While there are so many call-backs to the past, you bring a fresh and new approach. And it doesn't feel like rewriting history. You just know the characters so well that the references just pop up!

I know I am full of empty promises. But my affirmation - this is the book where I will finally write to the X-Office. So sorry it's taken me so long.
    This is some great analysis LegoLiz. I think the point you make about there being some sort of "Pay-Off" is what's really going to define this run by Thompson. Will it really just be more of the same thing we've gotten for over a decade now with Gambit eternally trying to prove himself trustworthy to Rogue by endlessly supporting her, and with Rogue continuing to push him away and running from him to avoid ever addressing whatever it is she feels towards him and whatever she wants out of her relationship with him? Or will Thompson finally move Romy into a new phase that matters and replaces the current tiring status quo? Hopefully it's the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy_Cricket View Post
    As much as I have enjoyed KT's work, I do feel we are at risk of treading the same ground...We have been stuck with a Rogue that has acted like a teenager around Remy for so long; "Why does he love me?", "What if he leaves?". I want a self-assured Rogue that thinks "Hey this guy is super into me and I'm super into him" "This just freaking works...I'm all in"

XXM Rogue was very much like that and it was amazing to read. Keeping Remy at arms length had it's charm and made sense in the 90's when their relationship was new and wasn't established but her emotions should have progressed by now.

I am optimistic that the series is working its way up to that point...I just want it to happen as soon as possible.
    This is what I've noticed from reading 13 issues of Thompson writing Rogue and Gambit in the comics too. It's exhausting reading the same formula for the last 10+ years now of Rogue being unsure about Remy and Remy trying to find ways to prove himself. I thought maybe Thompson was moving past this in the mini, albeit in a very convenient way that ignored some of the biggest issues many fans had with the relationship, but then MMX has felt like retread for me with Rogue taking steps back. I understand Rogue lost control of her powers but she handled it the same way she would have before she got back together with Remy (and married him) as if the development she got from the mini just went out the window. Hopefully Thompson is working towards some sort of pay-off as LegoLiz mentioned. Whether it's Rogue finally being sure of Remy's love and learning to be just as supportive. Or with Rogue finally figuring it out that maybe she just doesn't love him and that she shouldn't keep leading Remy on by making him think that their love is mutual. Either would reflect growth in my book and I would be fine with either.
    Last edited by Mateo3000; 02-14-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Spectacular Member

Yea man, let's be polite and respectful here.

Back to the actual issue itself. I liked it and I think it was probably the best issue so far in the series in my opinion. The action bits with Gambit and Longshot, and with Spiral, were great. It's great to see Remy be both effective and ingenious in a battle. Both brawn and smarts were present in Remy. The dialogue read very well to me too and was believable, both from Rogue and Gambit. I liked the art, it wasn't great but I think it's solid enough, and the coloring is A-level. As a Gambit this is the most fun I've had reading Gambit in this entire series. I'm interested to see what exactly he's going to be stealing in the Mojoworld and I love the Blade Runner aesthetics of it all. The main gripe I have, and pretty much the main gripe I've had this whole series, is that I wish Remy's love for Rogue wasn't the only thing that defined his character. Thompson seems to be driving the point across, according to the last page, that Remy's love for Rogue is seemingly the only point of development he's had worth noting. While this love is important, I think that there's more to Remy than just his love for Rogue and this isn't the only thing that has driven his development. This is true for Rogue as well, however maybe Thompson disagrees with me and that's why she really hasn't given Remy any actual character development outside of being supportive towards Rogue (which he's been since at least Legacy in 2011). Overall though Issue 8 was solid and I think the pay off is gonna make or break this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Relax, no need to be rude. You know that Steong Girl Daken is right and KT's books are best reveived comics with Gambit amongst majority of fans and reviews.

You may hate it as much as you want but majority of people likes it.
    I wasn't being rude. I was being facetious. I don't look at or care about reviews so no I don't know that Daken is right nor do I care if he/she is right.

My comment was about sales not reviews. And the sales of not just this book but comics in general suck. And my point is they suck because writers are telling the same tired stories over and over again.

When you can pick up a comic 25 years later and still see the same basic story of Rogue struggling with control and not sure about Gambit then that is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo3000 View Post
    Yea man, let's be polite and respectful here.

Back to the actual issue itself. I liked it and I think it was probably the best issue so far in the series in my opinion. The action bits with Gambit and Longshot, and with Spiral, were great. It's great to see Remy be both effective and ingenious in a battle. Both brawn and smarts were present in Remy. The dialogue read very well to me too and was believable, both from Rogue and Gambit. I liked the art, it wasn't great but I think it's solid enough, and the coloring is A-level. As a Gambit this is the most fun I've had reading Gambit in this entire series. I'm interested to see what exactly he's going to be stealing in the Mojoworld and I love the Blade Runner aesthetics of it all. The main gripe I have, and pretty much the main gripe I've had this whole series, is that I wish Remy's love for Rogue wasn't the only thing that defined his character. Thompson seems to be driving the point across, according to the last page, that Remy's love for Rogue is seemingly the only point of development he's had worth noting. While this love is important, I think that there's more to Remy than just his love for Rogue and this isn't the only thing that has driven his development. This is true for Rogue as well, however maybe Thompson disagrees with me and that's why she really hasn't given Remy any actual character development outside of being supportive towards Rogue (which he's been since at least Legacy in 2011). Overall though Issue 8 was solid and I think the pay off is gonna make or break this series.
    Again, it was meant to be facetious.

As to the issue, I already noted it was the best issue. The problem which no one seems to be addressing is that it was the best issue telling the same Rogue and Romy story from 25 years ago.

No one wants to address this fact. They want to talk about reviews or say I am being mean but the simple fact is hardcore comic book fans and reviewers will accept any story if it is well written which no one disputes this is. The problem is the larger population of comic book readers don't give a **** about how well written a story is told if ultimately it is the same story they have read before.

All KT is doing is telling the exact same Rogue and Romy story with the mean difference is Rogue and Gambit are married. However, being married isn't development if your underlying story is still the same story that has been told for the past 25 years.

Now if people disagree then tell me why this isn't the same Rogue and Romy story. Otherwise, telling me it is well written or that hardcore fans and reviewers like it has nothing to do with my point nor am I disagreeing with those points. I am saying the story is played out and I have yet to here a convincing argument for why it isn't which tells me deep down people know it is played out. They just are Romy fans so the fact it is played out isn't going to bother them like it would bother others who actually want to read something new and different.

Again, it was meant to be facetious.

As to the issue, I already noted it was the best issue. The problem which no one seems to be addressing is that it was the best issue telling the same Rogue and Romy story from 25 years ago.

No one wants to address this fact. They want to talk about reviews or say I am being mean but the simple fact is hardcore comic book fans and reviewers will accept any story if it is well written which no one disputes this is. The problem is the larger population of comic book readers don't give a **** about how well written a story is told if ultimately it is the same story they have read before.

All KT is doing is telling the exact same Rogue and Romy story with the mean difference is Rogue and Gambit are married. However, being married isn't development if your underlying story is still the same story that has been told for the past 25 years.

Now if people disagree then tell me why this isn't the same Rogue and Romy story. Otherwise, telling me it is well written or that hardcore fans and reviewers like it has nothing to do with my point nor am I disagreeing with those points. I am saying the story is played out and I have yet to here a convincing argument for why it isn't which tells me deep down people know it is played out. They just are Romy fans so the fact it is played out isn't going to bother them like it would bother others who actually want to read something new and different.
    I'm worried that when we get to where we wanted this comic will be over. Like the last episode of a tvshow or the last book in a series. Before the final fight the lovers finally solve their issues and have that kiss. Then the fight happens and the story ends.

I want issues of a happy and overall funtioning Romy has adventures. The drama has been focused so long on their relationship that I'm more then ready to have the drama being placed in some other aspect on the story.

I might also add that I think KT is doing a wonderful job on the story. She just needs to ask herself more questions like: "If I include Magneto in this comic what does the readers want from that appearence?" Not only what does the story dictate. Most readers would probably have told her that either you move on and not include him or he needs to be smacked around a bit, verbally and/or physically.

The same with fights. With Rogue having WM's powers she's a powerhouse. Heck WM himself had the death fear aspect added because writers thought he was to powerful back in the avengers days. From a story point of view Rogue can clear up most fights by herself. Just punch it hard enough. Gambits powers have been written with a very sliding powerscale and in general he needs to be written more powerful not to just be a nuisance in fights while Rogue starts cleaning house. Sure with clever writting his affect would be more with his wits. But just look at JL or Avengers with CA or Batman. That balance is never easy. The easy solution would be him being someone who with a bit more deceit can take down the big guns. While still respecting the difference between Rogues powers and his.

I dunno, I wasn't even INTO Rogue and Gambit as a couple until Kelly's Rogue & Gambit mini. I was like "Naw gurl, you need to move on" and "Hey brah, she way too extra" but the way KT wrote them changed my tune.

Sorry to all the folks who're still displeased.

I posed the question of who Nightcrawler should be romantically paired with over on twitter the other day, and a buddy said he should be forever a bachelor free to flirt with everyone and anyone, and that's the way I used to feel about Remy. I thought he was THE sexual dynamo of the X-Men and shouldn't have that impeded by monogamy. Ha ha ha. (And I'm happily married. hahah) I felt, as many often do with this genre, that marriage was a narrative death sentence bound for the same ol' same ol' drama of attempted break ups and insecurities blah blah but I really do enjoy Remy MORE as a married man. And of course we cannot KNOW what the future holds -- or more specifically what KELLY holds for them-- but I'm confident that just as Remy (evidenced in this last issue's internal monologue, etc) has changed, sacrificed, etc FOR Rogue, that the same direction is intended FOR Rogue. And I'm personally VERY interested to read that story.

Remy deserves it.