Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

[SPOILERS] Mr and Mrs X #8: Recap and Review Thread

Spoilers ahead. Also, wordiness. I'm waiting for feedback on work projects, and so have time to be just way too detailed.

Mr and Mrs X was recast in the last issue, and we open with Princess Rogue making out with Prince Longshot. However, they are are interrupted by a sexy thief kicking in the window. Gambit makes his appearance, quoting Dirty Dancing. It is the perfect Mojo moment: a love triangle meets a pop culture reference that makes zero sense in the context. Gambit's goatee is unflattering, but that is the one and only thing I dislike about this issue!

Cut to Mojo, who points out that everyone loves a love triangle or at least talks about it. Controversy creates cash, per Eric Bischoff. What I love about this take on a love triangle, though, is that Mojo has chosen the least interesting, least controversial possibility. Rogue had a crush on Longshot at one point, but I don't think anyone believes that she's been secretly pining after him all these years, or they still have any heat between them.

Back in Rogue's tower, Remy and Longshot fight over the princess. It's an incredibly smart, fun fight. Longshot uses his speed and luck powers, and Gambit systematically outthinks and outplays him. Gambit's always been a highly intelligent and strategic fighter, and it's rare that you see it in a modern X-Men comic where he usually throws some cards and that's it. It was a great, little showcase for him.

After incapacitating Longshot, Gambit grabs Rogue, smooches her, and leaps with her out the window. He then takes her to his rustic treehouse in a fairytale forest. He confesses that he was not really after her, but the necklace she is wearing: the fabled coeur enroule or curled heart (excuse my lack of accent). It's worth noting that this macguffin has a very similar name to the one in the noir world, which was the couer sinueux or winding heart. However, he is starting to wonder whether she's more of a prize than her jewels.

Rogue pretends to be flattered, and then shoves him out the window, pointing out that she is no damsel in distress and won't be controlled with sweet words and kisses. What is brilliant about this scene is that Rogue slowly comes back into character as she interacts more with Gambit. At first, she is very much not Rogue. She is the damsel in distress who screams and cowers. Then, she recovers some of her sass. Then, she remembers and uses her powers.

Unfortunately, though, her powers are out of control. As in the last issue, the scene ends with Gambit's death, and a furious Mojo.

Mojo responds with another reboot. Remy and Rogue find themselves in a Western, where they are looking for le coeur d'or or the heart of gold. But, once again, Rogue remembers and Gambit dies. Another reboot back into fantasy, where they are hunting l'oeil enroule or the curled eye. It ends the same way. Yet another reboot into Star Wars-inspired sci fi, with l'etoile de l'ame or the star of the soul. But, even in a galaxy far far away, Rogue kills Gambit with her powers.

At this point, Mojo is pissed. He hates Rogue for killing her husband every time, and he hates how they are always looking for a stupid object each time. He has no solution, though, except to spin the wheel and reboot them again. Spiral suggests that she could go into this version, and see what is going wrong. The wheel says documentary, which, of course, Mojo interprets as reality tv.

Remy and Rogue are both busy with reality tv confessionals, where they talk about their love and their relationship. Rogue doesn't understand why Gambit stays with her, given everything that she has put him through in their time together. She says that people say love is all that matters, but, after they've experienced terrible things, they believe that love is not enough. She starts to assert that love is enough, but then hesitates....

Remy confidently states that love is enough, and he sees love as the center of the world, the force that drives everyone's motivations. He notes that he's had to grow for Rogue but it's all been worth it. But then he suddenly starts feeling sick and says he has to go and get a drink. It's an odd moment. Does he realize that he's reading off Mojo's script? He has said in previous issues that Rogue isn't some kind of moral center for him, and she isn't the reason he's a good person or does right. Or is Spiral directly influencing him?

At the bar, Remy is drowning his troubles, though he can't remember what those troubles are. A woman in a blue jumpsuit approaches him and tries to seduce him, but Remy is having none of it. She reminds me a little of Joelle, but I think that's a coincidence. It becomes clear that it is Spiral when she notes that she can do things that it would take six women to do, and then whispers that she knows what he is looking for, listing off all the Macguffins from the previous reboots.

Gambit's eyes widen and he follows her. She takes him into a blind spot in Mojo's system, which takes Gambit out of the storyline and reveals who she actually is. Gambit slams his cards into her chest, and then holds them to her throat. Again, a great, strategic fight moment. He asks her where Rogue is, and notes that, if she doesn't choose her words carefully, his next ones will be "Bang, you dead." I stan that line, and am so glad it made another appearance.

She tells him that she is there to help him, and restores his memories by touching his forehead. He remembers all the times that Rogue killed him, and yet still asks where she is and if she is okay. He is a ridiculously good husband, though Spiral is embarrassed for him. He tells Spiral that Rogue's powers are out of control, and Mojo is messing with her head in a way that she cannot tell what is happening.

Spiral admits that they did not know Rogue's powers were broken, but that Mojo needed them for ratings, and she needed Gambit. She needed the greatest thief in the world - maybe in many worlds - to steal something for her. She implanted all of the Macguffins in the scenarios to prime Gambit for that mission.

She promises that, if he gets her what she wants, she will take them back home, and also try to fix Rogue's powers. She says that, with the tech and magic of Mojo World, Rogue can do some self-examination and find out what is triggering her loss of control. It sounds very X-Men Legacy, but with Spiral instead of Xavier.

She will also protect Rogue, since she points out they cannot pull her out of the network at the moment. Her scans are a mess, and she would be catatonic. Gambit reluctantly agrees, but warns that, if anything happens to Rogue, Spiral will never get to see what he steals.

Gambit and Spiral shake on it.

We cut to Spiral and Rogue in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber (or the Room of Spirit and Time if you prefer the original Japanese). Seriously, though, they're in Rogue's mind, where she is rocking the 90s uniform and insufficiently big hair. The 90s were Rogue's best hair time, and I am always sad when they fail to pay tribute to that.

Rogue asks about Gambit, and is horrified when she remembers how she killed him so many times. Spiral points out to her that, yes, she killed her husband, but she also didn't kill her husband for long periods of time leading up to that. Rogue realizes that she can subconsciously control her powers, and Spiral lays out her plan to have Rogue go back through her memories to figure out what is going wrong. I really enjoyed the memory segments in the R&G mini, so I'm looking forward to see how Kelly recasts some of those moments.

The issue ends with Gambit in the real Mojoworld. The final page is amazing: Gambit has a beautiful soliloquy, and the art supports it so powerfully. I don't want to spoil it with my dumb, wordy summary. So, I'll let you enjoy it.

This issue was AMAZING. It's definitely my favorite issue of the entire book. It was so smart and beautifully constructed, and had such wonderful subtleties. It also was the kind of showcase for Gambit that I've been wanting. It very much focused on him, his abilities, and his perspective. You get to see just how clever, strategic, and plain good he is. I know the next issue will focus on Rogue's memories, but it also looks as if it'll focus on Gambit's skills as a thief. I can't wait for it, and Marvel is making all of us wait.

Rating: ALL THE STARS

Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

I am starting to think that the arc will conclude with Rogue perhaps realising that she has at times taken Remy for granted and resolves to do better by him.

A lot of this issue focuses on Gambit's devotion to Rogue and how he is perhaps foolish for this. Even Rogue acknowledges in the "Reality TV" section that she is surprised he stays with her. Narratively it seems odd to highlight this flaw in the relationship unless you are going to do one of two things:

1. Break them up again (I wouldn't put it past Marvel)
    2. Have them work through the flaw.
    L'Enfer !

It's good to know that Spiral's relationship with Mojo has not changed at all.

I'm not sure but the last time remember seeing Spiral she had run away from Mojo and was living with a mutant girl in Uncanny X-Force what happened ?

BANNED

From the same X-Office of "every X-Men story is the same", here comes
    1550073509796-1.jpg
    Too much self-awareness loses its effect and starts sounding like you're taking the piss on me, X-Office. I'm onto you guys from now on.

Good grief I love Oscar's art. HUGE kudos to the colorist too. WOW

I really loved this issue so much.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post

The issue ends with Gambit in the real Mojoworld. The final page is amazing: Gambit has a beautiful soliloquy, and the art supports it so powerfully. I don't want to spoil it with my dumb, wordy summary. So, I'll let you enjoy it.
    Very Blade Runner (Aesthetically).

Excellent issue, Spiral was really great in this.

It was funny to see Mojo losing his head and ordering to kill the writers.

Reminded myself sometimes .

Thank you, THANK YOU Dear Machine for another lovely and wonderfully thorough review.

I LOVED this issue so much... it had A LOT jam packed into it without feeling rushed in the least. Art was beautiful... though I will eternally have a problem with Rogue's face. I adored all of the reboot scenes and all of the kisses in this issue. There was some serious emotional stuff being addressed in this issue that has me so hopeful. Along with the addressing of Rogue's powers... I started to worry heavily about Rogue in this book when Spiral commented about her traumatic state and how pulling her out of the network now would leave her catatonic. Unfortunately I don't fully trust Spiral either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy_Cricket View Post
    I am starting to think that the arc will conclude with Rogue perhaps realising that she has at times taken Remy for granted and resolves to do better by him.

A lot of this issue focuses on Gambit's devotion to Rogue and how he is perhaps foolish for this. Even Rogue acknowledges in the "Reality TV" section that she is surprised he stays with her. Narratively it seems odd to highlight this flaw in the relationship unless you are going to do one of two things:

1. Break them up again (I wouldn't put it past Marvel)
    2. Have them work through the flaw.
    Yes, your first sentence is what I hope this is leading up to. With all of my heart I can only hope this is what comes out of it.

Hoo Boy, yeah option #1 - I won't lie that thought ran through my head and it scared the bejeezus out of me.

So I'm going to hope for Option #2 because it's way too soon to rip this away from us. MMX has been an incredibly entertaining book and I think Kelly has tons more stories to tell when it comes to Gambit and Rogue. I know all good things must end but if we could get beyond issue 12 (I won't lie, sometimes I worry we aren't getting #10 or #11) I would be extremely satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.

Loved it

Good value for money, I say.

I like Mojo and Spiral stories, and they're on point in this one

Rogue looked much better than she has, especially the Jerk panel *chuckle*, still a bit iffy on the profile shots of her though.

So glad that her power control plot is moving

From a perspective of a Rogue fan, Gambit is saying and doing all the right things. I've always liked him as a character, He's a classic.

Rogue brings with her a lot of clout within Marvel and for Marvel and so his devotion kinda needs to be seen, I'm sure none of us want any allegations to a Joker n Harley type dynamic between these two.
    Being a charmer is part of his character, so try not to take offence to when he's being charming, and yes I get it and hope that it doesn't become cloying, but it's far off from that for now, imo.

DearMachine, thank you for thread and review!

I loved it! My favorite issue so far.
    Good: Gambit was smart and great in fight with Longshot. Really cool moment for him.

Gambit and Rogue banter are fun as always.

Huge thanks to KT for using "Bang you dead!" and that charged cards felt dangerous.

Glad that Gambit is important in this arc too. Gambit and Rogue were chosen because Spiral needed Gambit`s thieving skills. I really liked it.

Excited to see Gambit in real mojoworld. I think he must kidnap someone who is important for Mojo. Like his unknown child or girlfriend. I think it will be something that he wouldn`t like to do.

Bad or weird: We have 5 R&G issues, wedding in Gold 30 and 8 MMX issues. Rogue didn`t tell even once simple phrase "I love you". Gambit did it already a few times and told again in MMX 8 that he loves her.
    Their relationship feels to much one sided. It may be ok before marriage but now it is not ok. Their couple is not healthy. Maybe Remy noticed that and that is why he was drinking in bar.

Terrible speculation:
    "They find each other, they fall in love... and then she murders him". I afraid because Guilds hates Rogue as his wife they will betray Remy at the end of #12 and kill him. So he will do a right thing and show that he was good and loyal but will die from a betrayal the way Jon Snow died. After that Rogue will tell that she loves him.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 02-13-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Also art and colors are great in this. I am Glad that Oscar will be able to draw Guilds arc too.

LOVED this issue! I will need to come back and say more when I have the time to elaborate.

Fantastic Member

This issue was great, possibly the best of the run so far. Not because there was a lot of Gambit, but because the issue moved along quickly without feeling short.

Also, the art gets better every issue. I hope this book lasts past 12 issues and Bazaldua sticks around as long as possible; it's nice to watch someone's style evolve in one book. Admittedly, I'm still not sold on the Dodson covers.

9.6/10

Probably the best issue of the series so far and Gambit has his moments.

As a Gambit fan this narrative is just really boring. Rogue with power issues. Gambit fully devoted. Rogue being wishy washy about it. Rogue being the girl everyone wants (this is now 3 of her ex's or crushes in this series). This story has been told 100 times already. KT tells it well but I am just left not really caring about any of this.

It would really be nice to read a Romy story where both of them are actually emotionally invested in Romy instead of this constant theme of Gambit having to chase Rogue while fending off other challengers. Might as well have Human Torch and Sentry show up in the next arc. Or ****, is Joseph still alive?
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.