Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Year of The Villain- DC's 2019/2020 Initiative

DC's 2019/2020 direction is set: YEAR OF THE VILLAIN will kick off a twelve-month initiative for the company and will launch with a 25 cent issue ahead of Free Comic Book Day

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-issue-1186135

Featuring new material by Brian Michael Bendis, Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, Alex Maleev, Jim Cheung and Francis Manapul, the 25-cent issue will include short stories tying in with continuing and upcoming stories in the Justice League and Superman titles, as well as continuing the storyline of Batman Who Laughs in preparation for a new, as-yet-unrevealed series to be launched this summer.

Additionally, the issue will preview a future storyline in the ongoing Batman comic book, offering clues about the upcoming “City of Bane” showdown between the Dark Knight and a number of his many super-foes.

The 32-page DC’s Year of the Villain will be released May 1, ahead of that weekend’s Free Comic Book Day celebrations in participating comic book stores. The main cover for the issue comes from Dark Nights: Metal artist Greg Capullo, with variant covers available by Maleev, Cheung and Stanley “Artgerm” Lau, each spotlighting a different DC bad guy. (Lex Luthor, the Batman Who Laughs, and Cheetah, respectively.) You can see all four covers below.

I like that cover! Powerful, scary bad guys and gals!

So..... Its the Year of the Legion of Doom then...
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

I'm pumped for it, if only because villains from the Main Universe (plus some newcomers) certainly deserve more love.

Is this some sort of Son of Forever Evil deal?

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Again?

Meh.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Fantastic Member

For me, this just adds weight to the idea that DC's message over the last year has been "Did you like Rebirth? Ha ha, well eff you!"

Snyder's "epic" story is meandering crap, King's Batman has been DOA since the wedding bait-and-switch, and Bendis needs to be taken off Superman, not have his stuff made more important so that it's impossible to fix.

Their sales gimmick sucked me in because I thought they were actually trying to get back to being DC, and it's clear now that it was just a stopgap to keep sales from completely cratering. I don't want to read the DCU being presented by these writers and editors.

DC really does love their villains, huh ?

Can Snyder stop trying to make the Batman Who Laughs happen? I feel like there really isn't much more you can do with him after Metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Yeah, this does remind me of Forever Evil/Villain Month, just without an accompanying event (although it sounds like it's going to lead to a new series).

Astonishing Member

Son of Forever Evil ... Son of Faces of Evil ... DC does a "Year of the Villain" like every four years.

But we're getting to like Act II or Act II in a lot of big runs, so I mean ... the timing works out to celebrate some villainous schemes.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I’m already tired of The Batman Who Laughs but I have a feeling DC gonna push him into even more books.

Wish we could get a push for a Superman villain besides Lex.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wish we could get a push for a Superman villain besides Lex.
    I guess Batman who Laughs saves them the trouble of doing something with Joker .

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd be excited for the Cheetah push, but she's been underwhelming in Snyder's JL so far. So I'm cautiously optimistic at best for her.

For the rest, I'm pretty meh. Especially Batman Who Laughs. I could not care less.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I know, right? Unimpressed.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m already tired of The Batman Who Laughs but I have a feeling DC gonna push him into even more books.
    #BatmanWhoLaughsIsTheNewHarleyQuinn

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Again?

Meh.
    Same here. Forever Evil all over again. We are begging for hope and heroism and all we have is this.