The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Did Nightwing ever appear on SUPERFRIENDS?

Robin/Dick Grayson appeared prominently throughout the run of SUPERFRIENDS during the 1970s and 1980s, but did Dick ever show up as Nightwing on the show? Dick became Nightwing in the comics about a year before the final episodes of SUPERFRIENDS were created/released, and I certainly don't remember seeing Nightwing on the show (though I didn't catch the final few seasons), but I saw this picture on the web:

Is that legit, or just something fans whipped up many years later?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Spectacular Member dick_wingnut's Avatar

Cool pic, never seen it before.

http://superfriends.wikia.com/wiki/Nightwing#Nightwing
    This is an early animation cel of Dick in his guise of Nightwing drawn by Marv Wolfman for the unproduced New Teen Titans series.
    ↑ During the early stages of production for The New Teen Titans animated series that was canceled, there were apparently plans to have Dick Grayson be Nightwing in the show. Since the show was never produced, (aside from a television commercial from Keebler) he is never shown as Nightwing.
    That costume is underrated.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

As far as I can recall (and having done some minimal research) Dick Grayson only ever appeared as Robin on the Super Friends. There was going to be a spin-off from SF with the Teen Titans, but Wonder Girl was going to be the leader of that team as Robin would still have been on the parent series.

Damn, a New Teen Titans series, with that quality of animation (judging by the cel) would have been crazy.

I watched the series pretty regularly from 76 until it went off in 85 I think. I didn't watch as much in 80's since I felt I was "too old " for cartoons but I did come back for the last season. The new animation style really grabbed me. No Nightwing. Cyborg was there though!

They had Hanna-Barbara Teen Titans show in development and some footage but it got canned.

Spectacular Member Carmen_Rider's Avatar

Interesting stuff to know. Imagine if they had released this before the Batman Animated-style cartoons came out. But I would agree, more realistic-looking styles might be more complex to animate.

Incredible Member

He did have a minuscule,mute cameo in Justice League Unlimited