Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lauren Donner Wanted A Movie About The X-Women

Executive producer Lauren Donner has had a hand in bringing each and every single one of Fox’s blockbuster X-Men films to fruition and she takes pride in the work she’s put in at the studio. With the franchise’s future somewhat up in the air because of Marvel’s impending acquisition of 21st Century Fox, Donner recently opened up about what it was like to help usher in the modern age of superhero movies and what projects she wished she’d been able to get off the ground.

Despite the fact that Marvel Comics’ X-Men have a ridiculously large roster of characters that could have been incorporated into the films in any number of ways, Fox was plenty comfortable focusing on a relatively static core group of students as they became involved in Magneto and Professor X’s decades-long beef with one another. Speaking to Decider at this year’s Television Critics Association winter tour, Donner said that while those characters are near and dear to her heart, she always wanted to produce an X-Men movie focused on women mutants in roles of leadership because it’s a core part of the team’s canon:

“I didn’t get it through. But I think that would be cool...

Years ago the thought at the studio was ‘You can’t have a female superhero.’ ‘What about Tomb Raider?’ ‘Well that was different, that was Angelina Jolie.’ That’s what you’d get every single time.”
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/legendary-pr...abo-1832588413

Makes you wonder what the fork is wrong with Fox's brains for them to say something like that Jolie bit when they had Trailer Park Boys Season 2 star Ellen Page on deck.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I think we'll get a movie featuring mostly X-women at some point. I think Donner should keep pushing for it. Before Wonder Woman came out, there weren't a lot of reasons to believe a female-led superhero movie could succeed. Now, thanks to Wonder Woman and the looming success of Captain Marvel, there's a new market emerging. I think it's just a matter of finding the right story and the right cast.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Makes you wonder what the fork is wrong with Fox's brains for them to say something like that Jolie bit when they had Trailer Park Boys Season 2 star Ellen Page on deck.
    And three Oscar winners.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

So they made an Eletkra movie but not a X-Women movie?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    So they made an Eletkra movie but not a X-Women movie?
    Daredevil was for its time a reasonable financial success, and Jennifer Garner's star was on the rise because of Alias. So I can see how Fox might have considered an Elektra spinoff a safer bet.

I'm more miffed today that Fox has kept trying to double-down on the hopeless Gambit rather than pushing ahead with X-23, which probably could have been done and pending release had they put it on the same development track as they did with Deadpool 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Daredevil was for its time a reasonable financial success, and Jennifer Garner's star was on the rise because of Alias. So I can see how Fox might have considered an Elektra spinoff a safer bet.

I'm more miffed today that Fox has kept trying to double-down on the hopeless Gambit rather than pushing ahead with X-23, which probably could have been done and pending release had they put it on the same development track as they did with Deadpool 2.
    Hey now,

I like X-23 a lot but,
    imagery of a little girl hackin', slashin' and stabbin' might be creating enough hesitancy within marvel without any other factors.

On what Donner says, sounds like total BS, self marketing spiel and pandering. Shoulda and couldha, next
    Last edited by Ultimate Rogue; 02-13-2019 at 12:19 PM.

We'll probably get a female-led X-Men movie of some kind down the road, given recent trends (heck, there was talk of a Kitty Pride movie a while back). Who'll be in it is another question.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    We'll probably get a female-led X-Men movie of some kind down the road, given recent trends (heck, there was talk of a Kitty Pride movie a while back). Who'll be in it is another question.
    Dark Phoenix is basically that movie.

Not gonna expect something like this from Disney's Marvel Studio movies either. We'll get Black Panther and Captain Marvel... that's it!

Meanwhile, DC already has Wonder Woman out and is going to do a Birds of Prey and Harley Quinn movies. And we're gonna get Wonder Woman 2.

The Marvel Studios movies just don't care about having women front and center. Look at the Avengers. Total sausage fest. And omg... we're gonna get another Spider-Man movie already, even though his last movies were box office flops according to the studios..! (It's why Sony let go of Spider-Man... their movies weren't making as much as they had hoped.)

Quote Originally Posted by ButterRum View Post
    Not gonna expect something like this from Disney's Marvel Studio movies either. We'll get Black Panther and Captain Marvel... that's it!

Meanwhile, DC already has Wonder Woman out and is going to do a Birds of Prey and Harley Quinn movies. And we're gonna get Wonder Woman 2.

The Marvel Studios movies just don't care about having women front and center. Look at the Avengers. Total sausage fest. And omg... we're gonna get another Spider-Man movie already, even though his last movies were box office flops according to the studios..! (It's why Sony let go of Spider-Man... their movies weren't making as much as they had hoped.)
    Sony never let go Spider-Man they are just now making them with Marvel the Amazing films made a lot of money just the budgets were too high and Sony sold their portion of Merchandising rights back to Marvel/Disney with TV rights around 09 or 10 another issue than there was also a falling out with Garfield and Sony heads.

If a hit Captain Marvel will get a 2nd film and Wasp is now co-starring in Ant-Man films there is also the Black Widow film. TV wise there has been Jessica Jones, Agent Carter, Cloak and Dagger (Co-Starring female lead), and both Runaways and AoS have major female leads. On Disney+ they're working on Vision and the Scarlet Witch and there is are rumors of Gamora and Nebula and Lady Sif series. Also while ABC passed there was a female show in development. I agree when Ike was calling the shots it was different but since Fiege took over in 2015 things have been different at Marvel Studios and I could see a Storm film at least happening IMO.

Not really. It's still McAvoy/Fassbender/Lawrence. The other characters are basically window dressing.

Maybe? Feels more like a team series then something focusing on one character, e.g. the Wolverine or Deadpool solo movies.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Not really. It's still McAvoy/Fassbender/Lawrence. The other characters are basically window dressing.
    How can that be when such characters die very early in the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Maybe? Feels more like a team series then something focusing on one character, e.g. the Wolverine or Deadpool solo movies.
    It is focuses entirely on Jean rather than the team according to Kinberg. Hence no X-Men in the title.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 02-13-2019 at 10:08 PM.

BANNED

Maybe they shouldn't have made male centric wolverine films or relegated x women to love interests or angst instigators